User Tag List

First 513141516 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 157

  1. #141
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Chronic depression is not necessarily melodrama, hysterics, or incessant tears. It acts like a tumor that replaces your passions and drives. It can begin with a feeling of emptiness or hopelessness, but soon that very feeling becomes a cumbersome weight that impedes every other thought and action. Soon you grow numb to it, knowing nothing but it, as you sink into a claustrophobic tunnel vision of apathy. At its worst, your thoughts become so mired and ingrained that you struggle to perceive the outside world. At best, this serves as a shield from anything that might, once again, trigger depression. It negates the sufferer from actually seeing it as a thing of value in that moment. However, if it is overcome, it may reinforce the sufferers resilience that much more.

  2. #142
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    I would say melancholy is a benefit in disguise, while clinical depression isn't. Greek philosophers often associated melancholia with deep contemplation and creativity.

    This is important to recognize, particularly in North America's self-help culture, where we seem to think that positive emotions are the only permissible emotions. Rather than repress/deny/numb/avoid these darker feelings, we should instead accept them and try to use them to your advantage. It's like emotional martial arts. Rather than trying to directly block your opponent's strike, you should guide/control their force to your own advantage. Similarly, rather than pop some prozac after the loss of a loved one, you should use the intense internal focus melancholy affords you to help you properly sort through your grief and make sense of it. To integrate it into your being in a healthy way (Major disclaimer: there's nothing wrong with medication, it just isn't always the answer). And when you're super happy and excited, go with it! Take on high-energy challenges, and use your enthusiasm to inspire and encourage others. Ride that wave of joy, just don't expect it to last forever.

  3. #143
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    It provides a pretty damn enlightening existential perspective--including musing about free will and agency, the meaning of life, etc. But it's best if it can be overcome.

  4. #144
    girl with a pretty smile Honor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    It certainly can be.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

    thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

  5. #145
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,480

    Default

    I was depressed for a huge chunk of my life. It sucks, it doesn't matter what good I did because of it, all of what I did was just to remain above water. It's not a call to action, because your drive to solve problems are weakened. The only natural purpose that I can imagine for depression, if there are any, is the impulse for the weak to go off somewhere alone and die and not hold the tribe back.

    I certainly have perspective that is unique and a better scope and sensitivity of what suffering is, but I wouldn't wish it on my grandma.

    Contra to the OP's opinion, I was able to leave depression behind by leaving behind religion.

  6. #146
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I was depressed for a huge chunk of my life. It sucks, it doesn't matter what good I did because of it, all of what I did was just to remain above water. It's not a call to action, because your drive to solve problems are weakened. The only natural purpose that I can imagine for depression, if there are any, is the impulse for the weak to go off somewhere alone and die and not hold the tribe back.

    I certainly have perspective that is unique and a better scope and sensitivity of what suffering is, but I wouldn't wish it on my grandma.

    Contra to the OP's opinion, I was able to leave depression behind by leaving behind religion.

    I could see needing to leave behind religion to be free of depression. There are numerous false doctrines out there.

    It does not mean leaving behind God though.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  7. #147
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I could see needing to leave behind religion to be free of depression. There are numerous false doctrines out there.

    It does not mean leaving behind God though.
    Once you leave, you see that the doctrines are neither false or true, they're just believed or not. And once you understand it, there's no need for them anymore.

  8. #148
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Once you leave, you see that the doctrines are neither false or true, they're just believed or not. And once you understand it, there's no need for them anymore.

    But then you are still no closer to having true peach and happiness.

    Only God can offer you that.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  9. #149
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    But then you are still no closer to having true peach and happiness.

    Only God can offer you that.
    Whether I have true peace or not, whether it's God giving it to me or not. We both possess it. That's the other thing you cannot unsee, there is no single holder of the truth, or exclusive dispensary of happiness. But, there are an unlimited amount of people who want to convince you that there is. The only ones that are right are the ones that tell you that the true source is yourself.

  10. #150
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Whether I have true peace or not, whether it's God giving it to me or not. We both possess it. That's the other thing you cannot unsee, there is no single holder of the truth, or exclusive dispensary of happiness. But, there are an unlimited amount of people who want to convince you that there is. The only ones that are right are the ones that tell you that the true source is yourself.
    If the true source is yourself, then you would have it right now. We would all have it. Right?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


Similar Threads

  1. Passive voice is to be abused in this thread
    By ygolo in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 08-31-2015, 01:31 AM
  2. Is Elfboy an S in disguise?
    By Elfboy in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 185
    Last Post: 09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
  3. [ENFJ] What is depression like for ENFJs?
    By Harlow_Jem in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM
  4. [ENTP] What is an ENTP intrest in women
    By Cool in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 08:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO