User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I now see depression as just another emotional road sign that one needs to abandon their current course and cling to God.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I like spiders. They do not bother me.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by krypton1te View Post
    Everything is a benefit in disguise if one looks deep enough.
    this is some Ni mumbo jumbo.

My answer is: depression makes you a needy bitch and brings others down. At the very best you inspire someone to invent depression pills so they can make you stfu.

I want my account deleted
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Seems to me depression may be somewhat like physical pain. From what I can tell, some kinds of physical pain are functional and useful because they alert you that something's wrong (I'm thinking that someone without pain receptors may not notice that they have an injury or infection or whatever). Other kinds of physical pain are not functional or useful, and sometimes this second kind pain can create a feedback loop (I'm thinking about some kinds of muscle tension pain where the pain makes the muscles clench up which continues causing the pain which makes the muscles clench up etc.)

Similarly: I think that some types or instances of depression may be functional/useful - that is, they may be an important indication that something is wrong in the environment or in the self. I feel like the knee-jerk tendency to medicate or otherwise mask the symptom might really get in the way of acting on the cause, in situations like that. But with other types or instances, depression may not be useful or functional and may even become a feedback loop.

I now see depression as just another emotional road sign that one needs to abandon their current course and cling to God.
    One can argue that that is essentially what god is, a mechanism that stops a person from straying too far towards uncertainy, doubt, rumination.... etc.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Jungian view on depression is that depression is not an illness, but an symptom of an underlying problem and that its the underlying problems that needs to be focused on rather than the symptoms of the problems(i.e. the state of depression).

Taking antidepressants just takes away the symptoms, but does not cure the actual problem. Pills might help if the depression is REALLY bad and when combined with therapy, but just taking pills wont heal the person.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    One can argue that that is essentially what god is, a mechanism that stops a person from straying too far towards uncertainy, doubt, rumination.... etc.
    If God were just a mechanism for doing that, then that mechanism would be pretty faulty. Since God is not faulty, God cannot be a mere mechanism.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Jungian view on depression is that depression is not an illness, but an symptom of an underlying problem and that its the underlying problems that needs to be focused on rather than the symptoms of the problems(i.e. the state of depression).

Taking antidepressants just takes away the symptoms, but does not cure the actual problem. Pills might help if the depression is REALLY bad and when combined with therapy, but just taking pills wont heal the person.
    I pretty much agree with this. I wish I knew more about the hereditary components, though. Depression does run in families, but I haven't studied that much so I don't know what roles nature and nurture play, respectively.

Also Seasonal Affective Disorder would be an exception, I guess -- unless the "underlying problem" was your location on the globe? Which you could fix by moving to the tropics for the winter?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    However, clinical depression is quite different to feeling a bit down. People in this state may ruminate over their problems, but they lack the capacity to actually change them. That ruminating cripples a person's mind with negativity and their motivation and drive to take action is severely hampered. You might know what's wrong but you can't do anything about it - how can that help?
    To the point of the OP, I have wondered on occasion if there is some kind of function that is served by depression or by similar or related negative experiences like grief. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if there is some kind of evolutionary value that came from it. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is absolutely no or little value whatsoever. Humans develop cataracts. There's not much good that comes out of that. Cancer and heart disease kills us. There is also dementia and Alzheimer's. People might also have asthma or schizophrenia. These are things that humans are susceptible to. They don't help us in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post

Regardless as to whether or not it is an illness, a bad bout of depression can severely impact a person's ability to function in day to day life, with negative impacts on relationships and employment for example. It's a serious issue. It's not a silver bullet but medications really make a difference in some people's lives, whether it is to help them through a serious temporary problem or whether it is to treat a long term hereditary predisposition to depression. I think there are natural methods, like exercise, which can make a big difference as well.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

If God were just a mechanism for doing that, then that mechanism would be pretty faulty. Since God is not faulty, God cannot be a mere mechanism.
    The mechanism is faulty precisely because god isn't faulty. And people cling to ideas that do not seem faulty.