User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w? sp/sx

It's due to a lack of emotional intelligence, that this downward spiral occurs. To be released from this state, an effort must be made, and to the type of person who feels no need to change..this is nearly impossible. It's best not to help these people. They need to help themselves.
    "A spill at the plant increased the phosphates in the lake and produced a scum of algae so thick that the swamp smell filled the air, infiltrating the genteel mansions. Debutantes cried over the misfortune of coming out in a season everyone would remember for its bad smell."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

It's such a paradox.

It always seems like when I'm trying to be the nicest I hurt people the most. I am super sensitive sometimes but honestly I can also be extremely callous.

What does it mean to be callous? I can imagine people becoming callous through great abuse and maybe even sociopaths and psychopaths being considered callous, but I'm not sure how I would imagine that in someone in real life.

Also, I just want to say, in case someone misinterprets, not showing any emotion is different from not actually feeling any. And the definition of the word only includes not feeling any emotion to be callous. So what are we/you/whomever considering callous? I think people who are good with Fe have an advantage in life, but I don't equate callousness with lack of Fe, but with lack of Fi, if functions are desired to use in the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Thoughts...
    There's some pretty sensitive people here posting about the Pope.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelGadaafi View Post
    The overall views in this thread is that callousness is supposedly a negative consequence of a negative event, which it is not neccesarily true at all. I have been called calloused before by people, for failing to accomodate other's people's sentiment at an event.

But callousness is not neccesarily something bad at all, i find that it allows me to make proper value judgement's in different context's.
    Well, I think that is the general connotation of the word. Calloused = hardened, in a bad way. But I don't think bad experiences, disillusionment, disappointment must necessarily harden us in a way that impedes future growth. They can give us strength and courage, if we let them, like you say, and if they are not soooo overwhelming that they damage us permanently. Can we be damaged permanently? I don't know. I certainly have never experienced anything that would damage me permanently, but I definitely don't want to rule out the experiences of other people (torture victims or something really extreme and horrific like that).

I have had experiences which have altered me permanently, but I always at least try to keep myself open...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's some pretty sensitive people here posting about the Pope.
    Whoa, I can't believe you went there but still funny in the least.

MBTI
    entp

I think it comes down to maturity

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    I think it comes down to maturity
    How about those jaded 40 + year old types? Are they immature?

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    How about those jaded 40 + year old types? Are they immature?
    I find that people are usually un-receiving of certain viewpoints cuz they are fail to take all the factors into account.

that or yeah, they are immature. immature in the sense that they give up in spite of the fact that only they have the power to change themselves

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I think the causal relationship works like this: the probability of being very sensitive given that you're callous are near 1, but the probability of being callous given that you're really sensitive isn't significantly different from the probability of being nice.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp