• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

risk taking!

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I know a couple of ENFPs who are great salesmen. Maybe those are the sort of risks they are willing to take.
Selling can be scary!

That's more the risk I might take except that I couldn't be a salesman. :D

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
ENTP'S maybe but ENFP'S are not risk takers! :shocking:
I'm not anyway.;)

I did a bit more reading... within MBTI, risk takers are;

E>I, P>J, +T>F, N>S That is to say, Almost all Es are higher risk takers than Is, Ps are generally higher than Js and strong Ts are higher than average Ts and Fs (of which there is only slight differences, but still favors T).

However, this changes when you get to risk bearers or willingness to take risks (outside of sensation seeking, like gambling). Js are more willing to take on risks over the long term (ie: investments) relative to the sensation seeking risks. Ps are still high risk bearers, but Js aren't as risk-averse, making both fairly risk-accepting.

So I'd change what I said before, T>F... but within that, strong T>weak T, where weak T is very similar to Fs.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ns are higher risk takers than Ss? Hmmm.
No offense, but I can't agree, based on my own observations.

Or is that a typo?

In the area of "physical risks" I say STP.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTP'S maybe but ENFP'S are not risk takers! :shocking:
I'm not anyway.;)

Try telling that to my ENFP brother, who drives around as though he were on an F1 circuit!!!

I'm also a big risk taker. For the adrenaline, the challenge, and the nonchalant look I can give to the cautious ones who lecture me beforehand, when it pays off with no harm done despite all their protestations.

Truth is, I don't actually consider a lot of the stuff I do as risk taking, that other people do. They think it's terribly risky because they'd never do it, never have done it, and don't really know from experience the true risk level. Some people seem to think that disobeying The Law will result in being smote down by a lightning bolt from heaven, and this blinds them to being able to assess the true risk factor. When it's something I've done before and am completely confident about, I know with a sorta secret insider info type of thing, that the risk isn't as high as they think. I try to tell them, but they don't listen. When I pull it off every time, they stand in shock and awe, and I'm just like :rolleyes:

Most of the risks I take are to do with legal things or just corner cutting with procedures, or perhaps confronting or otherwise subverting the powers that be, either immediate or remote (managers, city counsellors or governments). I take some physical risks too, and some things that are a combination of all, such as driving an illegal car to a place where I go trespassing on private land/property to explore a derelict/ruined building that's falling to pieces, with DANGER signs everywhere. But in that case, I've carefully (and correctly) assessed the situation and decided that the likelihood of anyone being harmed or caught by the law is negligible.

My brother and I both very frequently take 'lack of forward planning' types of risks, such as making a long journey to a random place with camping gear in the car and kids, with no money on us, trusting that we'll be able to find somewhere to camp out and a way to get money and food en route, that kinda thing, where other people say we're reckless and irresponsible, but we just frown with incomprehension because we've NEVER GONE WRONG YET, as opposed to the people who lecture us, who frequently encounter problems that freak them out, despite all their careful planning.

It frustrates me a heck of a lot though, when that simple fact - the fact that I've never led them wrong in many years - never seems to register as a reason to ffs trust me!!

INTJMom - I might tentatively hypothesize that perhaps N's are bigger risk takers in the legal/abstract way, whilst perhaps S's have the prize with risks in the physical way...??

My ISTP friend is very safety conscious though... I have an old car that has no rear seat belts and doesn't require them by law because of its classic/vintage car status legally. He won't travel in the back of the car (and no it's not because of my driving!! lol). He also won't ride his bike if there's even a minor fault. Whenever he does handy jobs for me he's always the only one wearing the goggles and protective gloves etc., though maybe he just likes doing that for the image! lol

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:blush: the one thing that I'm always very careful about is always remembering to buckle my seatbelt!

(that and always remembering to use different cutting boards for meat and vegetables!)

the whole traveling somewhere unprepared sounds about right though- I tend to leave without telling anyone where I'm going and with no preparations all of the time- it bugs the hell out of some more cautious people I know (like an ENTJ roommate who couldn't stand it for some odd reason) but it's never gone wrong yet, so I'm not worried! :D

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ns are higher risk takers than Ss? Hmmm.
No offense, but I can't agree, based on my own observations.

Or is that a typo?

In the area of "physical risks" I say STP.

There is no agreement within MBTI. Jungian views have Ns being dramatically more sensation seeking and risk taking. Financial MBTI views have Ss more willing to accept pure risk (larger more frequent swings). Sensation seeking seems split between E and N in MBTI, but it's not part of the actual testing (which is kind of ironic, actually).

If you include a lot of research, the strongest predictor of multi-factor risk is openness, which is generally very close to N. No forms of risk prefer O- (more or less S).

There are three things to remember;

1) We remember the extremes more than the norms, and as such, extreme STPs are probably much more memorable. However, the T and P being strong can create an image of them being more risk-takers than the average STP is (and likewise, the NTP might not be as attention grabbing in their risk taking).

2) There are twice as many Ss, which may give the impression that the majority of risk takers are Ss.

3) There is a tendency to define Ss as risk takers, leaving the impression that S = risk takers. This is not an accepted definition (and it seems like there are two camps - the ones that think the test should show that S = risk takers, when in fact they are the more stable, less likely to try new things kind of people... and the other, which thinks that the test should just test for the functions and let the correlations take care of themselves.)

The only part that may create a S risk imbalance would be the "Experimental" aspect of Ss, which is not reflected in other models.

There is no clear answer, except for the E and P, which are clearly risk-taking/sensation seeking correlated. The N/S seem to depend on what type of risk (and Ns are actually more thrill seeking than Ss by most measurements.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
For some reason when some one says you shouldn't do something it's bad idea. If you don't tell my why it's a bad idea I'm going to whatever i shouldn't be doing, that or if I just don't believe you.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes... my ISTJ friend tends to pour cold water on every exciting thing I do or talk about. He's always the one who says it's stupid, irresponsible, reckless, that it'll never work, it can't be done, etc etc, and that is indeed the only effect it has on me: to make me more determined to do it, to prove him wrong. And I do, every time, and yet he never changes his opinion of my risk assessment skills.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
My friend told me that they would never manipulate genes to make the enezyme in the liver that makes you see and something about making someone invisible. And I said yet. I have faith that someone will find a way to make people actually invisible. So I won't because whenever I like a data I can't read it instead I see like a horsey or a kitty in the way the lines make an abstract picture. and I'm not sure me going "Look a butterfly!" would earn much respect. And I'm not that smart. Ok so not exactly risk, let me think of something I've done.I have faith in invisibility perhaps not in our lifetime. (PS my friend's the bio major not me, so I don't know the techinical terms of things)

yea I love to scuba and want to sky dive but I no so many people terrifed of it, same with swimming in the ocean. They're like your going be taken out by the undertow or you're going to get bit by a shark I've been playing in the ocean since I was 7 I have yet to get bitten or drown. Luckily their was a wooden table right beside me.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
There is no agreement within MBTI. Jungian views have Ns being dramatically more sensation seeking and risk taking. Financial MBTI views have Ss more willing to accept pure risk (larger more frequent swings). Sensation seeking seems split between E and N in MBTI, but it's not part of the actual testing (which is kind of ironic, actually).

If you include a lot of research, the strongest predictor of multi-factor risk is openness, which is generally very close to N. No forms of risk prefer O- (more or less S).

There are three things to remember;

1) We remember the extremes more than the norms, and as such, extreme STPs are probably much more memorable. However, the T and P being strong can create an image of them being more risk-takers than the average STP is (and likewise, the NTP might not be as attention grabbing in their risk taking).

2) There are twice as many Ss, which may give the impression that the majority of risk takers are Ss.

3) There is a tendency to define Ss as risk takers, leaving the impression that S = risk takers. This is not an accepted definition (and it seems like there are two camps - the ones that think the test should show that S = risk takers, when in fact they are the more stable, less likely to try new things kind of people... and the other, which thinks that the test should just test for the functions and let the correlations take care of themselves.)

The only part that may create a S risk imbalance would be the "Experimental" aspect of Ss, which is not reflected in other models.

There is no clear answer, except for the E and P, which are clearly risk-taking/sensation seeking correlated. The N/S seem to depend on what type of risk (and Ns are actually more thrill seeking than Ss by most measurements.)
All your facts are messing with my intuition! :steam:

;)

Thank you for the explanation. You're right. I think it's "the pizazz factor" that makes STPs look like the big risk takers.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
All your facts are messing with my intuition! :steam:

That's my purpose in life :D

Thank you for the explanation. You're right. I think it's "the pizazz factor" that makes STPs look like the big risk takers.

My pleasure. STPs are still large risk takers though :D There is no doubt about that. It's just that NTPs are probably equal or more likely to be risk takers. (I guess, give less credit to NTPs rather than more credit to STPs :D )

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Most of the risks I take are to do with legal things or just corner cutting with procedures, or perhaps confronting or otherwise subverting the powers that be, either immediate or remote (managers, city counsellors or governments). I take some physical risks too, and some things that are a combination of all, such as driving an illegal car to a place where I go trespassing on private land/property to explore a derelict/ruined building that's falling to pieces, with DANGER signs everywhere. But in that case, I've carefully (and correctly) assessed the situation and decided that the likelihood of anyone being harmed or caught by the law is negligible.

This is exactly the kind of risks I tend to take. Most people do not realize that the law is the law only when there's somebody to make it happen. If there are no witnesses and I'm harming nobody and I'm not leaving any traces, I can do pretty much what I want.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Yeah, like Substitute said, I think a lot of the 'risks' I take are the lack of forward planning sort... of course, that might simply be because I completely forget to prepare whatever it may be, but still... risk! ;)

Also, I'm fairly comfortable and confident of my ability to be pretty resourceful, should I get stuck... and so I don't worry about it, and if I forget to bring this or do that, it's no big deal.

I guess those who get stressed about every single detail are the ones who are fairly sure they can't cope when something goes wrong?

yea I love to scuba and want to sky dive but I no so many people terrifed of it, same with swimming in the ocean. They're like your going be taken out by the undertow or you're going to get bit by a shark I've been playing in the ocean since I was 7 I have yet to get bitten or drown. Luckily their was a wooden table right beside me.

I suppose this comes more under paranoia than simply not risk taking. I mean, I live in a place that's right next to the beach, where part of the whole culture is going down to the beach and having a bbq and a swim... practically everyone swims and spends a lot of time down on the beach each summer....

And yet, with an entire city that enjoys the beaches overly much, we might get one person a year, if that, who's attacked by a shark. And most of the time they survive, too... sometimes minus a limb or two. But they live.

You are at least two hundred and fifty times more likely to get hit by a car and killed, y'know. Nevermind just getting injured.

So it's hardly a risk to go swimming in the ocean... it's just that the newspapers have a field day and those who aren't so familiar start thinking its a likely occurance. :rolleyes:

And as a side note: I love scuba diving! :nice:

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, if I think it's extremely unlikely I'll die taking said risk, then I'll take it. This would be why I enjoy climbing, and have no problem rappelling off the edge of a cliff. [And I personally don't think either are very risky, so I don't really view them as risks; I just happen to enjoy both, and other people may view them as more risky than I do.]

But whatever -- climbing without ropes?? Silly girl. ;) Bouldering is one thing...actually climbing up pretty high without equipment..that's another.

Although I suppose it depends on the rocks. There have been a few instances in my life where I've done some bouldering where it would have been perhaps *wiser* to be attached to a rope, but I had confidence in my ability.

I'm like this with climbing too! :) I don't normally take risks outside of my ability and when I feel I what to improve upon my ability, then I will do so in the safest way possible.

If I have a goal I'm working towards, I tend to take more risks to complete that goal. I don't normally do something for the experience, but moreso to complete what I've started. I will take risks to improve, but I tend to do so in baby steps rather than bold, daring steps.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's odd; when I was as kid, I was either playing with Legos by myself for 8 hours at a time or putting myself in the hospital through failed acts of, er, "daring".

Maybe there's something to the inferior Se theory? I think some of the blame rests on having an ESTP best friend at the time.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It's odd; when I was as kid, I was either playing with Legos by myself for 8 hours at a time or putting myself in the hospital through failed acts of, er, "daring".

Maybe there's something to the inferior Se theory? I think some of the blame rests on having an ESTP best friend at the time.
Yeah. :)
(I had one, too.)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
My kind of historical risks:
-lots of physical risks in sports. Downhill skiing, mountain biking, taking the sledge down the hill first time (broken leg), trying new dangerous sports and devices with only a minimum of preparation. I've toned the last one down a bit recently.
*oh wait, no I haven't. A year ago I was shooting fireworks, but one of them was shot right to my left arm and exploded there, giving me 2nd degree burns through the sleeve of my shirt, which was destroyed in the process.*
-financial risks. spent 2 years savings and took a loan to start a business. I was technical expert in the business domain and made exact plans and preparations, but I was a rookie entrepreneur. I've quit jobs without knowing where to go next.
-risks to image. I'm available for public speaking on a short notice, and I use such opportunities every now and then on lectures, weddings and such. Tho it's only someone's perceived risk, not an actual big risk for me.
-medical risks. Taking some substance too much, neglecting to go to a doctor despite serious reasons to do so. This is just silly, I should learn my lesson. One of them fevers got bad enough that it was a life threatening situation. I don't do this anymore, I think.
-no need to continue. I think I'll be a corpse some time soon if I don't start being cautious.:huh:
-ahh, edit: one more. Social risks. I'm open and have the minimum of worry for my appearance when acting around with friends or strangers. It's just one of those apparent risks tho. As it all goes well, almost always, where's the risk?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
:blush: you guys are making me feel like I'm crazy :cry: it's not like I usually go somewhere where there aren't other people or where the rocks are slippery- I just really love the challenge! It's one of the few times in my life that I'm fully concentrating on something! :D
This is so much me. It's actually worth your while to do your best in a risky situation. It kinds of drives away boredom.. I'm not that detached from my physical environment when I'm downhill biking 70mph :D For the purpose of staying alive, I do that just once per three years or so and live with the memory of the event in between :D

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I do take a lot of risks myself. One of my favorite activities is solo mountaineering which is generally a big no-no, especially if you're in glacier country.

To me, this is driven by the same thing that drives a lot of my personality--avoidance of definite/commitments/rules/etc. To not take the risk is like saying "You can't do this because yadda yadda yadda"... and whenever that concept comes to mind I just snap and go the other direction... "You bet your ass I can, and I will... just watch me!".

Put in the extreme, I refuse to believe I can't do something... and I will vehemently oppose anything that says otherwise! I think this is what fuels a lot of SPs to be such high performers and innovators... the "why the fuck not?" attitude.