User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: risk taking!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    is this in any way related to the MBTI and personality type? or is it something that a person develops all on their own independant of other personality factors?
    In the profiles aren't STPs the greatest risk takers? They are also most skilled at doing this successfully from what I understand. This is of course what I admire most in those types.

From my point of reference I take significant risks on a daily basis, but that is from the context of someone rather shy and fearful. I'm ridiculously adventurous from the inside, but from the outside it looks somewhat reserved. Ha. For example I had debilitating driving anxiety for a number of years, but over came it even when I "felt" like I was likely going to die. I did it anyway and overcame it. This is also true socially. There is never a point that I'm not taking what feels like significant risks. Every now and then it interfaces differently with reality and people are shocked by it when they get a glimpse of my gutsiness. That's always pretty funny to me.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I like to take risks, but it's not quite the same as the way you do it. I take risks hoping to gain something more than the thrill of the event itself. For example, risking 2 years of savings to create a business or something like that. I will usually risk anything that I have except for my life. Although I have taken some risks that could have probably killed me or hurt me really bad, it's not really what I seek out. By no means do I live life by playing it safe, but I'm definitely not risking my life on the things that I do. I figure that as long as I'm still alive, I can build back up from anything if I ever lose, so I'm not afraid to take most risks.

" Any mistakes you commit through audacity are easily corrected with more audacity." - 48 Laws of Power

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Isn't risk taking a part of personality?
    Yeah, that's exactly what I said. So is MBTI. They're both 2 ways of dividing our observations about people's minds into categories.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I should have been aware long ago when my mother's favorite warning to me before I headed out to play tended to be "don't do anything stupid just because you think it looks fun!" that I'm probably not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree! It probably doesn't help that nearly being smashed by a semi yesterday was "thrilling" to me or that I spend most of my weekends in nice weather free climbing (rock climbing without the use of ropes and all of that other stuff!)
    I don't think it's that you lack intelligence, but rather that you seek stimulation and have a lack of self-control. What do you expect, you're an ESTP, after all. I knew it was a problem for them... but I didn't expect they would be the sort of people you would miss if anything happened to them. I guess I was wrong... now I want to see if I can find some kind of cure to curb their risky behaviors and keep them from killing themselves.
    I remember studying Risk Attitudes in one of my psych classes a few years ago, and that some people just have a mindset that leads them to enjoy dangerous behavior while other people don't

is this in any way related to the MBTI and personality type? or is it something that a person develops all on their own independant of other personality factors?
    I'm pretty sure it's related to ExxP, and especially ES_P. ESTP probably has it worst. Not sure about ISxP, though. Some of them might be big risk takers, others might be more introverted and cautious. It's usually associated with SP's, but I'm not sure ISP's like to take physical risks.

Oberon

Case in point:

Today I drove close to 70 mph in a 45 zone on my way to work, clearly taking a risk. The payoff was getting to work before the time clock ticked over 8:00 a.m.. If I punch in at 8:01, I'm considered late.

The speeding is not as egregious as it sounds; I was driving on four-lane divided highway with a speed limit set artificially low. The functional speed limit for that stretch of road ought to be 60 mph, but setting it at 45 generates a lot of revenue for the city. My calculated risk was more financial than physical (though admittedly there was a physical component).

I understood the risk and accepted it, not for its own sake but to reap the attendant benefits. This morning it paid off, thankfully.

MBTI
    INTJ

I am reminded of the story my grandmother used to tell of my ESTP father when he was young and they lived on the THIRD FLOOR of an apartment building. She was standing at the kitchen window doing the dishes and she looked out and saw my father, "Hi Mom!" way up in the tree almost at her level!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    ... It's usually associated with SP's, but I'm not sure ISP's like to take physical risks.
    I have an ISTP husband and son. My husband tells stories of jumping over fences and going into people's swimming pools when he was a kid. One summer, he broke both his arms jumping off a porch.
    Once he was held up at gunpoint, then followed the robber to his hideout and called the police.
    They caught him - counting the money.

My son has an extremely high tolerance for pain, as does my husband.

I don't think that ISFPs have the same kind of physical daring that the Ts have.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I knew it was a problem for them... but I didn't expect they would be the sort of people you would miss if anything happened to them.
    !!

ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post

ENxP, ESxP would be at the top (and for all intents and purposes, the F/T area is difficult because 'negative' emotions play a gigantic role in risk measurement and women tend to have more negative emotions yet better risk measurement wiring...).
    ENTP'S maybe but ENFP'S are not risk takers!
    I'm not anyway.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    ENTP'S maybe but ENFP'S are not risk takers!
    I'm not anyway.
    I know a couple of ENFPs who are great salesmen. Maybe those are the sort of risks they are willing to take.
    Selling can be scary!