User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: risk taking!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by sundowning View Post
    I think the causation is from personality - be it biological or environmental - to risk tolerance. After all, the whole crux behind this thread is that different people feel different amounts of risk, to the point of arguing whether or not any risk even exists. One might believe rock climbing is extremely risky, while another, having confidence in their Se-related abilities, doesn't think it at all removed from ice-skating or riding a bike down the street.
    Well, it's ALL personality. So the question is, what develops in personality FIRST.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Well, it's ALL personality. So the question is, what develops in personality FIRST.
    Isn't risk taking a part of personality?

Both are biological, however, to answer the question. They share common factors (well, the E/I and P/J do anyway...)

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    ENTPs more for mental risk - debates, abstract arguments, tangential conversations, stretching the mind and comfort zone till they go insane. I doubt many ENTPs are truly pure physical critters - if the mind is not engaged, the risk does not make sense, simply.
    I'm not so sure, I definitely don't consider myself very big on taking risks, but I enjoy both what you said as well as physical thrills like snowboarding, mountain biking and gliding. But as a lot of other people have said I guess it depends on what you actually consider to be risks or not. E.g I wouldn't go climbing without a rope... crazy imo as it involves a very real risk of injury, too many unknown factors involved for my liking.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sundowning View Post
    I think the causation is from personality - be it biological or environmental - to risk tolerance. After all, the whole crux behind this thread is that different people feel different amounts of risk, to the point of arguing whether or not any risk even exists. One might believe rock climbing is extremely risky, while another, having confidence in their Se-related abilities, doesn't think it at all removed from ice-skating or riding a bike down the street.
    that's actually a good point. in rockclimbing, excluding weather, there really aren't going to be unforseen obstacles in your way, so you're able to judge it based off of yourself.

some risks involve quickly adapting and you aren't the only variable in the situation.

i'd actually be more scared to ride my bike down the main streets in the winter than to go rockclimbing for a reasonable height (if i was good at it). because patches of ice are a) unforseen and b) cars are moving all the time. slipping under a vehicle and at least getting a tire run over is probable with biking in the winter for a small portion of riders. nevermind getting yourself run over. that is risky. too many unforseen variables.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I'm bad with risk taking stuff. I never wear seatbelts, speed with the car, bike in winter without an helmet (where's the fun with all the protections?), go hiking without proper equipment, rock climb without proper equipment (only in places I've already climbed with equipment though), free squat without protections. It's kind of boring if you don't take any risk, if you ask me.

(think of a young naive child after watching a Bruce Lee move-- I CAN BREAK THIS BOARD WITH MY HAND-- the child doesn't understand the reality. Same thing with ENTJs in some cases).
    Eh. I'm fully aware of the risks in a situation. I just decide not to really care about it since, after all, reality is only one so once the task is done, is done, and risk is just an abstract concept. Btw, I never injuried myself seriously in my life (no broken bones etc)

I know I'm supposed to be the ISTP daredevil but I'm a 6w5 with self-preservation so I don't do anything fun, avoid all risks and fear everything.

Go team me!

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I can take emotional and relational risks but not any other kind. I think I am emotionally available and willing to trust and easily take risks in being vulnerable and bare souled and completely myself in relationships. Those are risks that I gladly take.

Financial risks no- physical risks most certainly no!!!!!!! I consider it a thrilling feat just to leave the house,lol and driving period is equivalant to sky diving. I get scared and feel certain doom just watching Mega Disasters, which I am not allowed to watch anymore,lol!

I am just barely away from living in a bubble in a bunker under a cave in Canada,lol. I have an ENTP husband though and he is a risk person for sure in pretty much every way. He is good for me because he keeps me out of the bubble in the bunker and kicks my butt out to enjoy life,lol.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

ESxP's and ENxP's are risk takers in different ways. ESxP's seem more inclined toward physical risk that will give an adrenaline rush. ENxP's on the other hand are more prone not to see the risk in the first place. An ENTP, for example, might take out huge loans on a business venture, or tease Mike Tyson about his voice, or run across a busy intersection while talking on a cellphone, etc... without stopping to think about possible negative consequences.

I agree that ExxP's are the biggest risk takers, but S and N determine the type of risk.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Socionics
    SLI

I have never (willingly) taken a risk in my life. If I am forced into such a situation I assume I've already lost and act accordingly. I'm all about security and comfort. I also flee from risk prone people.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

According to bestfittype.com, xSTPs seem to be the risk-takers:

ESTPs are spontaneous, active folks. Like the other SPs, ESTPs get great satisfaction from acting on their impulses. Activities involving great power, speed, thrill and risk are attractive to the ESTP. Chronic stifling of these impulses makes the ESTP feel "dead inside."
    ISTPs with more sedate careers usually take on high-risk avocations like racing, skydiving, and motorcycling. While aware of the dangers involved, they are so in touch with the physical world that they know they can get away with much smaller safety margins than other types.
    As for myself, I don't feel like much of a risk-taker at all, not in a physical sense. I'm too aware of what might happen, I think. Once I've done it once I'm all game to do it again because I know it was FUN and nothing bad happened, but I definitely make myself too nervous beforehand to try most things.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    I, myself, am a huge worry wart about people's well being, so taking Kneivel-esque risks gives me gray hairs.
    Yes, that sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    ENxP's on the other hand are more prone not to see the risk in the first place. An ENTP, for example, might take out huge loans on a business venture, or tease Mike Tyson about his voice, or run across a busy intersection while talking on a cellphone, etc... without stopping to think about possible negative consequences.

I agree that ExxP's are the biggest risk takers, but S and N determine the type of risk.
    Actually, that sounds more familiar. Taking risks by not being aware of a potentially dangerous situation. Yeah.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp