User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: risk taking!

MBTI
    INFP

Default No risky business here...

I dream of taking risks (sky diving or financial) but no, I am not generally a risk taker. I think I will do the sky diving at some point in my life, though. Oh, well since I am planning to quit my job at some point in the next year or so (after 19-years with this company), I guess I am sort of being risky there.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I second that EP's are much more prone to risk taking than any of the other MBTI types. I tend to get the feeling that S's are more likely to as well, but that's more of a hunch.
    It's kind of funny, because an SP seems very risky indeed, where as an SJ is rather anti-risk, I think.

Anyhow...
    As specific types go, ESTPs and ESFPs are definitely major risk takers. So I would say it is a apart of the territory for an ESTP, whatever.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Depends what kind of risk, isn't it? And what reward.

I'd guess ESTPs would go for physical/experiential risk - think extreme sport etc?

ENTPs more for mental risk - debates, abstract arguments, tangential conversations, stretching the mind and comfort zone till they go insane. I doubt many ENTPs are truly pure physical critters - if the mind is not engaged, the risk does not make sense, simply.

I'd guess an ENTJ would go for calculated risks, if he's certain what reward he could have and wants it badly enough.

Would this mean an IxxJ would be the lowest on the "risk" scale?

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

It seems perfectly natural, and reflective of type even, for ESTP's to enjoy taking risks. Every STP I know has a daredevil in them, and I think it would be strange if they didn't. My best friend's daughter is an ISTP - she's 6 now - and she's the toughest, most unflappable, curious little creature I've ever met. Tough as nails. She's always trying to jump off the high dive, or hang her head out of the car window, or run around until she falls down. It's her need to push herself to her limit, to know where her boundaries are. It's a little disturbing, how headlong she is sometimes, but she's smart and tough enough to experience her life in this manner.

I, myself, am a huge worry wart about people's well being, so taking Kneivel-esque risks gives me gray hairs.

I do flying(no motor)(since as a kid), there is almost always one or more accidents when comps or something, minor or more serious,but like all tings, its how you do them, so i dont see my self as taking risks(its always calculated to go ok...,:rolli: I like it, and thats the important ting). There was online test of us, and there where mostly intj, some intp, a few infp, rest scattered., probably doesn't say much(since the nt's seem to be the ones taking polls).

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ...I remember studying Risk Attitudes in one of my psych classes a few years ago, and that some people just have a mindset that leads them to enjoy dangerous behavior while other people don't

is this in any way related to the MBTI and personality type? or is it something that a person develops all on their own independent of other personality factors?
    I think so.
    It's my belief that generally speaking, SPs are the biggest risk-takers of the four basic types.

In Nurture By Nature, ESTP children are referred to as having the motto of, "Look Mom! No hands!"
    My ISTP son is a bit of a thrill-seeker.
    ("Mom, can I ride my bike off the roof?")

I think the SJ types tend to be the most cautious.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you are quite right about that- my isfj mother is VERY cautious about everything! (I bought her the Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook once since she's so concerned- she actually read through it and pointed out that she had wondered about many of the situations in the book! )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

If there is a correlation, you have to wonder which way the arrow of causation is pointing. Could it be that a high tolerance for risk tends to develop into extroversion, sensing, and perception? (I don't think the F>T has any merit.) Maybe those who have a high tolerance for risk are rewarded in ES ways like money and sex.

I think you might find a correlation with P, then E, then S (highest to lowest).

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    So taking Kneivel-esque risks gives me gray hairs.
    That's a bit different from my ENFP friend.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

I think the causation is from personality - be it biological or environmental - to risk tolerance. After all, the whole crux behind this thread is that different people feel different amounts of risk, to the point of arguing whether or not any risk even exists. One might believe rock climbing is extremely risky, while another, having confidence in their Se-related abilities, doesn't think it at all removed from ice-skating or riding a bike down the street.