• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intelligence vs Ability

wolfy

awsm
Ability is related to effectiveness. Effectiveness at achieving some kind of objective.

gromit

likes this
I'd say they're essentially the same, except that intelligence has a little bit more of an abstract flavor (adeptness at cognitive processing), while ability is more physical (performing a particular task). Also, hypothetically "intelligence" cannot be improved with practice. I don't really agree with that, at least probably most types of intelligence can be improved with effort and practice, same with an ability. There is probably some inherent tendency or capacity for both, though.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
What's the difference?

I think intelligence is more related to the brain and thinking. Ability can include thinking but also based on motor skills. For example, an ice skater can be intelligent enough to know how a quad spin is performed but don't have the ability to do it.

Edit : In other words, knowing how to do something doesn't mean being able to do it

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
ability = when you apply the information you have to something in a way that makes it work
intelligence = being able to come up with this information that could be used on something

or maybe this is just my intp view on this

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
The difference is practice.

I'm intelligent enough to play 'Hey There Delilah' on an acoustic guitar, but until I practice a lot I won't be able to play it for shit. I'm intelligent enough to do nearly anything; ability is determined by where I place my attention.

If all you ever do is think, then your ability to think gets better (and then your brain fizzles out and you get alzheimer's at age 50).

In other words: intellect determines potential. Practice/attention determines ability.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Ability gets thing done.

Intelligence = potential

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I regard Intelligence as a potential vis-a-vis ability.
A half-wit who actually DOES SOMETHING gets more credit with me than a room full of Mensa jack offs demonstrating the ability to do precious little more than demonstrating how `intelligent' they would have you believe they are-cum-seem without actually applying their intelligence towards anything useful or interesting.

Little_Sticks

The difference is practice.

I'm intelligent enough to play 'Hey There Delilah' on an acoustic guitar, but until I practice a lot I won't be able to play it for shit. I'm intelligent enough to do nearly anything; ability is determined by where I place my attention.

If all you ever do is think, then your ability to think gets better (and then your brain fizzles out and you get alzheimer's at age 50).

In other words: intellect determines potential. Practice/attention determines ability.

That's kind of the way I always saw it. Ability can improve intelligence and vice versa; they support one another in a symbiotic relationship.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Intelligence is the first derivative of ability