User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 18.13%
  • No

142 78.02%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

7 3.85%
First 7475556575859 Last

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Money.

I don't have the qualifications for any job I would actually enjoy enough to commit to, I don't have the guts or the drive to be an entrepreneur, and the jobs I can get don't pay enough for my basic goal of independence: living alone + paying my own tuition.
    I think I may venture a correction here. It's not so much about the money in itself, but about the lack of it causing you to feel beholden to and dependent on others in any way, perhaps?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I think I may venture a correction here. It's not so much about the money in itself, but about the lack of it causing you to feel beholden to and dependent on others in any way, perhaps?
    Not exactly... I mean, yes, but it's also about control. Moreso, even.

For example, I'm celiac and trying to pursue other healthy eating habits, but I have the option of relying on what other people put in the fridge, and am even coerced to partake in family meals. At first I was resistant and tried to buy all my own groceries, but as my bank account dwindled and I lost track of which food was whose I've changed positions on this.

Tuition... if I can't afford it, something will work out... but it serves as a threshold value below which earned money does not contribute to independence. So there's an additional cage there.

In fact, most of my problems - acne, food issues, the stress of living with other people who think they know what's good for you... could be solved with a very modest full-time wage, or a decent part-time one. But then, working full-time while attending classes is bound to be disastrous for my grades (and sleeping schedule.) So I have to save and wait. And that means no security, which (apparently) means no motivation.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

So, how about astrology used in a similar way to how many use tarot? That is, as a random anchor from which to explore one's own personality and situation. In tarot, one can supposedly get a fresh angle to start the exploration from each time the cards are drawn.

Maybe that's the appeal.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't believe there is a comprehensible connection (if one, at all) between when I was born and the position of stars and planets with my personality and/or how days/events of my life will play out.

I see it as extremely difficult to substantiate, but that's kinda just my bias =P. I will take a further look at the topic some more.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Uhh, okay.

Anyways, I think most people are misunderstanding astrology, thinking it's just the 'Sun in 12 signs' and having only 12 possibilities of interpretation.

Do you think it is better if we have some samples of people and intepretations of their chart?

Then we know how accurate/PROOF that astrology MIGHT be true.

Not trying to convert anyone or anything into astrology.

I just thought maybe some of the 'REALLY against' astrology people should have their chart as a test, if they're willing to..

Ming, that is what I tried to do on my last post, and it was 60% inaccurate and 20% of the stuff you could say was accurate was very general, however I'm not going to pay $14.95 for something I don't believe in to get a more accurate chart so, I suppose I'm at a standstill.

On the other hand, I will say that I have only ever been serious with guys who were Air signs like me (I usually found out later when their birthdays were). So I would say from my experience that is a rather strange coincidence.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    So, how about astrology used in a similar way to how many use tarot? That is, as a random anchor from which to explore one's own personality and situation. In tarot, one can supposedly get a fresh angle to start the exploration from each time the cards are drawn.

Maybe that's the appeal.
    I would tend to agree with this.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post

Maybe that's the appeal.
    There are three kinds of truth: representational, internally consistent, and pragmatic.

I do not believe in or not believe in the representational truth of astrology. I am simply open-minded to it.

Having studied astrology, I have found it to be surprisingly internally consistent. One could set up a straw man against, but then one is just setting up a straw man. If you try to argue against the very strongest argument in favor of astrology, it's really not easy to invalidate it.

I do, however, believe in its pragmatic truth.

That is what you are pointing to here.

And it is a respectable point.
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 05-29-2010 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Cuz I was high :laugh:

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    There are three kinds of truth: representational, internally consistent, and pragmatic.

I do not believe in or not believe in the representational truth of astrology. I am simply open-minded to it.

Having studied astrology, I have found it to be surprisingly internally consistent. One could set up a straw man against, but then one is just setting up a straw man. If you try to argue against the very strongest argument in favor of astrology, it's really not easy to invalidate it.

I do, however, believe in its pragmatic truth.

That is what you are pointing to here.

And it is a very point.

Nicely said - and I have to agree with you
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    And I always thought a natal chart was something to do with pregnancy.
    It's how Being was pregnant with you.

The time surrounding a type is extremely meaningful to its behavior as well.

As are the current positions of the planets.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I would have been interested to see the N/S dichotomy breakdown of the poll results
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown