User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 18.13%
  • No

142 78.02%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

7 3.85%
First 444525354555664 Last

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Basically I'm saying it's meaningless ;D effectively tautological.
    That explains how the sentence struck me then! I didn't want to be rude in case I was missing some profound insight when only half awake!

But I do them hastily, so no. This is a classic example of reinterpreting to avoid falsification - the original Popperian reason to discount Astrology as a science (along with freudian psychoanalysis and marxist theory of history)
    Interesting conflation Well, even astrology is more open to scrutiny than some of Freud's adolescently hormonal speculations...

Well... if I take half of the Venus-in-Aries description and half of the Taurus-Rising description, I can get an accurate one...but if I take the other halves I can get an inaccurate one. So again we're at 50/50...
    You still haven't worked out your time of birth to get the ascendant sign as far as I can see though. Or your moon sign We need an integrative analysis to critique here, we don't even have the full details to make one yet!
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    You still haven't worked out your time of birth to get the ascendant sign as far as I can see though. Or your moon sign We need an integrative analysis to critique here, we don't even have the full details to make one yet!
    I did though. I have the moon in leo and both the sun and ascendent in taurus. None of which are very accurate at all.

Interesting conflation
    I suppose I'm not in a very good position to say that I 'feel' my way of doing things contradicts the 'energy' of Taurus, am I? :p

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

I did though. I have the moon in leo and both the sun and ascendent in taurus. None of which are very accurate at all.

I suppose I'm not in a very good position to say that I 'feel' my way of doing things contradicts the 'energy' of Taurus, am I? :p
    How do you feel about taking up leadership roles, being in charge in some way?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

How do you feel about taking up leadership roles, being in charge in some way?
    I've done it a few times because nobody wanted to, and not been very effective because I didn't know how to inspire enthusiasm.

I think of leadership roles as an obligation, I guess.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

I've done it a few times because nobody wanted to, and not been very effective because I didn't know how to inspire enthusiasm.

I think of leadership roles as an obligation, I guess.
    Kind of interesting, however; many intps would avoid leadership roles like the plague I suspect. The doing things you don't really want to from a sense of duty is certainly quite taurus-like. I would have thought Taurus sun and ascendant combined ought to signifiy a particularly strong stubborn streak, a tendency towards being dogged and single-minded, quite fixed in your beliefs, along with wanting to ascertain the practical value of anything you get involved with. Leo moon and sun in the ascendant ought to both indicate a preference to lead or go first to some degree, though Taurus isn't meant to be the most assertive and dynamic sign out there, if perhaps the most stubbon along with Scorpio. What this combination probably should signify is that you'd like to lead in an inspirational fashion, but are actually in practice better at simply getting the job done in a more low key way, possibly taking on a lot of extra responsibilities yourself.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Kind of interesting, however; many intps would avoid leadership roles like the plague I suspect. The doing things you don't really want to from a sense of duty is certainly quite taurus-like. I would have thought Taurus sun and ascendant combined ought to signifiy a particularly strong stubborn streak, a tendency towards being dogged and single-minded, quite fixed in your beliefs, along with wanting to ascertain the practical value of anything you get involved with. Leo moon and sun in the ascendant ought to both indicate a preference to lead or go first to some degree, though Taurus isn't meant to be the most assertive and dynamic sign out there, if perhaps the most stubbon along with Scorpio. What this combination probably should signify is that you'd like to lead in an inspirational fashion, but are actually in practice better at simply getting the job done in a more low key way, possibly taking on a lot of extra responsibilities yourself.
    well, not exactly... not really at all......

I mean, I guess this thread isn't the greatest example but I'm not very dogged or single-minded at all. I'm exceptionally persistent when I know (or feel) something worth achieving is only a matter of 'keep on trying' but otherwise I lose hope and patience quickly. As for leadership, it's more like the other way around... the only reason I desire leadership is to achieve things I can't on my own... but in practice I end up being more of a source of ideas than actually getting things done.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Off topic stuff moved here

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

I mean, I guess this thread isn't the greatest example but I'm not very dogged or single-minded at all.
    Come to think of it, I'm not sure any thread I've yet seen you post on is the greatest example!

I'm exceptionally persistent when I know (or feel) something worth achieving is only a matter of 'keep on trying' but otherwise I lose hope and patience quickly.
    Like it or not, this underlines something of a contradiction, almost a dichotomy, in your nature. The question is then whether it ties in with what astrology predicts: certainly Mars in Gemini, representing energy and motivation, is meant to be scattered, unfocussed, eager to move on to the next thing when boredom strikes, though they can also work with great intensity and focus when the subject is interesting. (It also suggests a tendency to invest energy in verbal debates and disputes!) What is your midpoint between dogged persistence in pursuit of a still-distant goal and getting frustrated, losing patience, and giving up completely? And how much time do you spend there?

As for leadership, it's more like the other way around... the only reason I desire leadership is to achieve things I can't on my own... but in practice I end up being more of a source of ideas than actually getting things done.
    Hrm, I wonder how well this relates to skills as opposed to inclination? And also, when dealing with other people, if a tendency to be stubborn and assert yourself and your beliefs quite strongly can actually be an impediment to leadership because of the difficulties this puts in the way of gaining consensus and support? In this case it would make sense to be falling back on the default position of being the "ideas person".

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant
    This is a classic example of reinterpreting to avoid falsification - the original Popperian reason to discount Astrology as a science (along with freudian psychoanalysis and marxist theory of history)

Who's been making the claim that astrology is a science?!?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Come to think of it, I'm not sure any thread I've yet seen you post on is the greatest example!
    Yeah, well >.>

Like it or not, this underlines something of a contradiction, almost a dichotomy, in your nature. The question is then whether it ties in with what astrology predicts: certainly Mars in Gemini, representing energy and motivation, is meant to be scattered, unfocussed, eager to move on to the next thing when boredom strikes, though they can also work with great intensity and focus when the subject is interesting. (It also suggests a tendency to invest energy in verbal debates and disputes!) What is your midpoint between dogged persistence in pursuit of a still-distant goal and getting frustrated, losing patience, and giving up completely? And how much time do you spend there?
    There is no midpoint. It goes straight from one to the other, then back again when the whim strikes.

Hrm, I wonder how well this relates to skills as opposed to inclination?
    I'm sure it's a little of both. I'm happy to demonstrate the skills that I do have, regardless of inclination.

And also, when dealing with other people, if a tendency to be stubborn and assert yourself and your beliefs quite strongly can actually be an impediment to leadership because of the difficulties this puts in the way of gaining consensus and support? In this case it would make sense to be falling back on the default position of being the "ideas person".
    I actually don't nearly as much IRL. The internet is my outlet for venting about how wrong and incompetent everyone else is ^^' Most RL relationships aren't about being right, they're more about accommodating other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

Who's been making the claim that astrology is a science?!?
    Give an inch...