User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 18.13%
  • No

142 78.02%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

7 3.85%
First 343515253545563 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Can't we just kill this damn superstition already, and burn the practicioners on the stake? It worked pretty well for witchcraft.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Ok, here's a nice one. I was born with both Saturn and Uranus in Sagittarius, according to that chart.
    Saturn in Sagittarius
    This placement indicates that you approach new experiences and new knowledge with care and interest. Throughout your life you will hesitate to accept a new idea until you have become very thoroughly acquainted with it and really feel that you understand it.
    In many areas of life you are quite conservative, believing in principles that have been proven over a long time.
    You have strong ideals, to be sure, but you won't let yourself be carried away by them. You always look for ways to put your beliefs and ideals into practice. When you formulate a belief or an ideal, you find it very easy to put it into practice.
    Uranus in Sagittarius
    These children are strongly attracted to new philosophies and will question all accepted traditions and ideals. They are interested in new and innovative ideas rather than the tried and true, feeling that the past has outlived its usefulness. They have a strong drive to be free and may be quite eccentric. If the current interest in new religious sects and cults continues, these people are likely to be very much involved in them and will change them tremendously.
    Tell me these aren't completely contradictory.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Ok, here's a nice one. I was born with both Saturn and Uranus in Sagittarius, according to that chart.

Tell me these aren't completely contradictory.
    So are you not a contradictory person?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    So are you not a contradictory person?
    I like to think I'm relatively coherent...

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

I think (and someone who knows more about how it's supposed to work is free to correct me on this) that the slower moving (and by definition, further) planets are generally seen as weaker individual influences, unless they form strong aspects with the faster moving and closer bodies, which will make them of greater personal significance. They're more supposed to indicate general themes representative of your age group or generation. This is maybe why Mars, Venus, the Moon and Sun are generally considered the most significant bodies in interpretation; they change their positions more rapidly and are supposed to be of more direct personal relevance.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

So basically, the more specific details are not as accurate... just like with random chance. :/

Here, mars and sun are contradictory too:
    Mars in Gemini
    Your energies get turned on very rapidly, and you work very quickly. You are inclined to start several projects at once and never finish any of them. If you cannot overcome this basic tendency to dabble shallowly in many activities, you will not master any skill very completely.
    On the other hand, you do have a quick mind, which you enjoy using, especially to debate and argue with others in a spirit of friendly disagreement.
    Try not to be so impulsive in the way you think. If you make decisions too rapidly, you will often be wrong.
    Sun in Taurus
    You are very patient and like to do things slowly so that you can see what is really happening.
    You like to be comfortable. With your love of comfort and ease, you may try to avoid strenuous situations, but you really need such experiences to help you mature.
    People will probably like you because you are affectionate; you give and receive love easily. However, if others try to take advantage of your placidity, they will quickly discover that when you are roused to anger, you don't calm down easily.
    You find it difficult to work for abstract goals. You don't mind working a long time for the results you want, but you have to understand and relate to those results.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

So basically, the more specific details are not as accurate... just like with random chance. :/
    Nooo, the more specific details are supposed to be more accurate. The most important influences are supposed to be sun/moon and mars/venus, in that order, the ascendant coming in there somewhere too, as it's supposed to represent the outward expression of your personality. The rest is not meant to be that significant for you as an individual, unless any of the aforementioned bodies form strong aspects with them.

Here, mars and sun are contradictory too:
    Very. So, which seems most true? Both, a mixture, or neither?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Nooo, the more specific details are supposed to be more accurate. The most important influences are supposed to be sun/moon and mars/venus, in that order, the ascendant coming in there somewhere too, as it's supposed to represent the outward expression of your personality. The rest is not meant to be that significant for you as an individual, unless any of the aforementioned bodies form strong aspects with them.
    Ok... well, my 'ascendant' (I gather that that is the one that's based on your birth month) is 'taurus', which I've always felt isn't very accurate at all... I'm pretty impulsive and I like to move quickly... I guess I enjoy comfort (who doesn't?) but things like fine wine or gourmet food don't especially appeal to me. I also change my mind on a whim and I have trouble doing things in a 'slow and steady' rhythm.

What you say about 'strong aspects' just means to me, 'if it is true for you, it is especially true for you', which is really a lot like saying 'if your favourite colour is blue, you probably have a preference for blue things'.

Very. So, which seems most true? Both, a mixture, or neither?
    Definitely the mars/gemini one (if you haven't figured that out just from talking to me XD). I'm not very outwardly affectionate at all (compared to my peers, anyway... INTPs are another story >.>) and I usually prefer to do things more than once in order to figure them out, rather than 'taking my time'. I'm certainly not as 'earthy' as Taurus would have you believe.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Ok... well, my 'ascendant' (I gather that that is the one that's based on your birth month) is 'taurus', which I've always felt isn't very accurate at all... I'm pretty impulsive and I like to move quickly... I guess I enjoy comfort (who doesn't?) but things like fine wine or gourmet food don't especially appeal to me. I also change my mind on a whim and I have trouble doing things in a 'slow and steady' rhythm.
    The ascendant's supposed to be mostly about how you like to see yourself in relation to others - your preferred self-image if you like. To calculate that you need to know the time of birth as accurately as possible, as it's the sign that was coming over the horizon at the time of birth and changes every couple of hours. Mars in gemini makes a certain amount of sense (as you go on to say) as it's supposed to represent your energy source - it relates to sex drive, ambition, motivation, etc, and is interpreted as operating at a very visceral, subconscious level. Sun sign is supposed to be more about ego - how you consciously percieve yourself.

What you say about 'strong aspects' just means to me, 'if it is true for you, it is especially true for you', which is really a lot like saying 'if your favourite colour is blue, you probably have a preference for blue things'.
    I'll have to think about that when the sun here isn't rising and I haven't just been hitting the wine, this seems like one of those complex sentences which can only be made sense of in a state of stone cold sobriety

Definitely the mars/gemini one (if you haven't figured that out just from talking to me XD). I'm not very outwardly affectionate at all (compared to my peers, anyway... INTPs are another story >.>) and I usually prefer to do things more than once in order to figure them out, rather than 'taking my time'. I'm certainly not as 'earthy' as Taurus would have you believe.
    Hey, hold on, even in my present intoxicated state I can figure out that "doing things more than once in order to figure them out" IS taking your time! Affectionateness towards others should relate most strongly to your Venus position and ascendant: it would be necessary to figure those out before the significance can be critiqued.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

The ascendant's supposed to be mostly about how you like to see yourself in relation to others - your preferred self-image if you like. To calculate that you need to know the time of birth as accurately as possible, as it's the sign that was coming over the horizon at the time of birth and changes every couple of hours. Mars in gemini makes a certain amount of sense (as you go on to say) as it's supposed to represent your energy source - it relates to sex drive, ambition, motivation, etc, and is interpreted as operating at a very visceral, subconscious level. Sun sign is supposed to be more about ego - how you consciously percieve yourself.
    ok, then so far we're at 50/50. At least we're not doing worse than random chance.

I'll have to think about that when the sun here isn't rising and I haven't just been hitting the wine, this seems like one of those complex sentences which can only be made sense of in a state of stone cold sobriety
    Basically I'm saying it's meaningless ;D effectively tautological.

Hey, hold on, even in my present intoxicated state I can figure out that "doing things more than once in order to figure them out" IS taking your time!
    But I do them hastily, so no. This is a classic example of reinterpreting to avoid falsification - the original Popperian reason to discount Astrology as a science (along with freudian psychoanalysis and marxist theory of history)

Affectionateness towards others should relate most strongly to your Venus position and ascendant: it would be necessary to figure those out before the significance can be critiqued.
    Well... if I take half of the Venus-in-Aries description and half of the Taurus-Rising description, I can get an accurate one...but if I take the other halves I can get an inaccurate one. So again we're at 50/50...