User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 18.13%
  • No

142 78.02%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

7 3.85%
First 34424344454654 Last

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Interestingly this posits the possibility that the attributes of the ancient Gods, and the traits with which they were identified, probably came after the observation of similarities in character based on birth dates. Venus was the deity invented to explain the similarities of the traits with which she was attributed???
    It's not often I'll admit to really not having a clue about something that I've bothered engaging with in the first place, but you've got me there! I don't know who would have the answer to that sort of question actually, though I do know that a representation of the love goddess is an important and consistent archetype across most, if not all the major polytheistic faiths and their associated mythologies. Isis in Egyptian, Freya in Norse, Branwen in Celtic, the list goes on. Not to forget Ishtar, the Babylonian/Assyrian version, who must be counted significant in this context due to the association of astrology with the Babylonians; she was also associated with the planet Venus. Even the Mesoamericans such as the Aztecs had their own version, and it's unlikely they had any cultural connection with the old world systems of belief. The archetype itself, then, must be of profound importance, however represented. It would be interesting to look into how widespread the planetary association was too...
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    The archetype itself, then, must be of profound importance, however represented. It would be interesting to look into how widespread the planetary association was too...
    I agree wholeheartedly! I oftentimes wish I knew what knowledge and understanding, mathematical and scientific principles, and thought were originally stored in the great library in Alexandria. The few designs of Archimedes (and other ancients) that have survived to now have demonstrated understanding of physical principles we lay claim to have proven only in modern times.

Much of what is being studied about the origin and nature of the Universe in Quantum Mechanics borders on the mystical that we would have dismissed 50 years ago, and would seem to be on the very edges of some of the principles of Astrology.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Do you have a reliable source for this? I mean, tides and menses ok but I always thought the behaviour effects were a result of confirmation bias and maybe a little bit of thomas theorem.

yes but that is another chaos theory barrier ;D

I would be more likely to believe anything where the logic actually reaches from point A to B, for example the moon affects tides which affects trade with other nations which influences child development at that time of year, or something. But like, try harder than just 'oh, astrology COULD be true!' XD
    Honestly, I consider this aspect of the debate to be rather fruitless, which is why I didn't pay it much attention when you were posting on this before, especially as I and others have already dealt with the issue at some length earlier in the thread. I'm going to bed shortly and don't have the energy right now to repeat at length points I've already made, but I'll link these posts for now:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1133056

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1128703
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I'm going to bed shortly
    Sweet dreams
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Do numbers hold a special meaning?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's far worse than mere charlatanism, it is misogyny.

For in a misogynist society women are treated with contempt, and there is nothing more contemptuous than putting astrology at the back of women's magazines.

Yes, almost all women's magazines have astrology at the back, sometimes three, four or five pages of astrology.

And in a misogynist society women suffer the Stockholm Syndrome, where in order to survive, they accept the values of those who regard them with contempt.

And those who suffer the Stockholm Syndrome are called compradors, and support and co-operate and collaborate with those who regard them with contempt.

Misogyny is an iron trap, and even co-opts those it regards with contempt.

And astrology treats women with contempt.

Our largest crime statistic is domestic violence - the violence of men against women in the home.

And in a misogynists society it is so easy to move from public contempt of women, to private violence in the home.
    I hope you aren't serious. Women are the privileged class in America, along with all other "protected" groups.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

My first career was as a Mental Health Nurse and it is accepted anecdotally that the full moon has a distinct negative effect on sleep patterns of many people and psychoses. Hence the word Lunatic. Whether that is the effect of the moon on water, of which our body is largely made up, or something other I cannot tell you.
    hmm, well, I tried to find something scientific about this and all I came up with was a study which examined 391 people with sleep disorders and only 8% had problems sleeping on a full moon whereas 25% slept especially well.

There are lots of articles saying one way or another but none of them actually cite any sources other than that... but you know, the ones which claim it *does* have an effect also have articles on things like 'magic' and the ones which say there is conflicting evidence and nothing solid are the ones which have other scientific or medical articles...

I don't mean to offend, but I don't think something being 'anecdotally accepted' by a small community of mental health nurses is really much of a point in favour of it being true. Skills which are important for that profession include putting aside skepticism in order to treat your patients with respect, even when they are clearly delusional - and this causes cognitive dissonance. This is an excellent growing environment for confirmation bias and thomas theorem.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Honestly, I consider this aspect of the debate to be rather fruitless, which is why I didn't pay it much attention when you were posting on this before, especially as I and others have already dealt with the issue at some length earlier in the thread. I'm going to bed shortly and don't have the energy right now to repeat at length points I've already made, but I'll link these posts for now:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1133056

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1128703
    So basically what you are saying is that because astrology is pseudoscience, it doesn't get funded studies to actually confirm/deny its predictions. Right?

There is more to science than falsifiability, but even that's not as important as the fact that astrology isn't at all unified. There is little or no consistency...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

hmm, well, I tried to find something scientific about this and all I came up with was a study which examined 391 people with sleep disorders and only 8% had problems sleeping on a full moon whereas 25% slept especially well.

There are lots of articles saying one way or another but none of them actually cite any sources other than that... but you know, the ones which claim it *does* have an effect also have articles on things like 'magic' and the ones which say there is conflicting evidence and nothing solid are the ones which have other scientific or medical articles...

I don't mean to offend, but I don't think something being 'anecdotally accepted' by a small community of mental health nurses is really much of a point in favour of it being true. Skills which are important for that profession include putting aside skepticism in order to treat your patients with respect, even when they are clearly delusional - and this causes cognitive dissonance. This is an excellent growing environment for confirmation bias and thomas theorem.
    LOL I am not offended by logical argument or discussion, nor am I fixed in my ideas I am just not ready to dismiss the possibility.
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

LOL I am not offended by logical argument or discussion, nor am I fixed in my ideas I am just not ready to dismiss the possibility.
    What about the possibility that there are 3 invisible pink unicorns in the room next to you?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

What about the possibility that there are 3 invisible pink unicorns in the room next to you?
    There is always possibility They may exist in someone else's reality and, without proof I could not dismiss them but would rather look at why someone believes that they are there??

In this life I think the only absolutes must be qualified by what we as individuals know and understand now, based on our experience to date - the rest is open to speculation.
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown