User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 18.13%
  • No

142 78.02%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

7 3.85%
First 31394041424351 Last

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I concede that there is a large degree of charlatanism in astrology.

On the other hand, at a macro scale, we KNOW the effect that the moon has on menses, tides, and the observable but not proven beyond doubt, psychoses, behaviour and sleep patterns.

We also KNOW without doubt, the effect that sunspot activity has on radio frequency communication and who knows what else.

So why are we so ready to absolutely deny the possibility of subtle effects of other heavenly bodies simply based on our observation of the charlatans?

Would it not be better to say I don't believe it based on what I understand now but I am open to the possibility rather than adamantly denying it?
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

What has struck me as ironic is that here we are on a site devoted to typology, the basis of which is observation of behavioural preferences over less than a hundred years, and which theory we are happy to accept because it fits us and has been continually refined over that time.

Does it not strike you as odd that the same people happy to accept this as a truth are also completely comfortable to deny the observations and mathematics of over 2000 years???

I have seen some nonsense, pseudo typology based questionnaires in my time investigating learning styles, type and temperament used in popular pseudopsychology as well, but it does not give me pause in my fascination for and belief in the apparent truth of the underlying principles.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Does it not strike you as odd that the same people happy to accept this as a truth are also completely comfortable to deny the observations and mathematics of over 2000 years???
    The oldest form of typology began with oriental astrologers.
    Carl Jung used astrology.

"Astrology represents the summation of all the psychological knowledge of antiquity." C.G. Jung

"My evenings are taken up very largely with astrology. I make horoscopic calculations in order to find a clue to the psychological truth." - C.G. Jung
    (In a letter to Sigmund Freud)

"One can expect with considerable assurance, that a given well-defined psychological situation will be accompanied by an analogous astrological configuration." - C.G. Jung

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

nobody's explained that I'm supposed to be controlled in part by the Virgin yet... explain that and then I'll be stunned!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Smile

What has struck me as ironic is that here we are on a site devoted to typology, the basis of which is observation of behavioural preferences over less than a hundred years, and which theory we are happy to accept because it fits us and has been continually refined over that time.

Yes, any psychometrician will tell you that MBTI has no more truth value than astrology.

And any astronomer will tell you that astrology has no truth value whatsoever.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

I just don't get why people aren't willing to just say 'Hey maybe there is a possibility'.

Nobody is telling you to devote your life to it. You guys are seeing the extremes of things.

I 'believe' in it, but it doesn't mean that I devote my life to it 24/7, nor do I use it 24/7, nor against/for other people. I only use it for personal interests. Very much like typology, don't you think?

It's like believing in a God. I believe in it. That's it.

It doesn't mean I'm necessarily Christian, or Muslim, or Buddhism, etc, nor does it mean I'll use it to start up a cult, or some religious teachings. Just because you believe in astrology, doesn't mean you're a delusional retard.

It's like people thinking that homosexual people have some kind of disease, or Satan has influence over them. I'm pretty sure the last time I checked, Satan wasn't around giving me orders.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, any psychometrician will tell you that MBTI has no more truth value than astrology.

And any observant person can tell you that you're repetitive and boring when you keep saying the same thing over and over. Can you please stop trolling this thread Victor, or at least say something original if you have anything to contribute? I seem to have seen the same post repeating itself with minor variations so many times I can scarcely keep count any more.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

So? If I was an astronomer, and I told you that the world is flat, would you believe me?

It's funny how the oldest science known is astrology. But then again, science is about discovery. Until we discover the facts, people are just going to completely deny it and say it is false.

That's how humans work. They have to see something as impossible to have the 'possible'. Without the impossible, there is no possibility.

You're seeing things from your side (Eg, from the astronomers).

(Please don't take this as I'm trying to recruit you into some sort of astrological cult I'm just here for opinions/discussions. Mostly to cure boredom..)

Thumbs down

I concede that there is a large degree of charlatanism in astrology.
    It's far worse than mere charlatanism, it is misogyny.

For in a misogynist society women are treated with contempt, and there is nothing more contemptuous than putting astrology at the back of women's magazines.

Yes, almost all women's magazines have astrology at the back, sometimes three, four or five pages of astrology.

And in a misogynist society women suffer the Stockholm Syndrome, where in order to survive, they accept the values of those who regard them with contempt.

And those who suffer the Stockholm Syndrome are called compradors, and support and co-operate and collaborate with those who regard them with contempt.

Misogyny is an iron trap, and even co-opts those it regards with contempt.

And astrology treats women with contempt.

Our largest crime statistic is domestic violence - the violence of men against women in the home.

And in a misogynists society it is so easy to move from public contempt of women, to private violence in the home.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

It's far worse than mere charlatanism, it is misogyny.

For in a misogynist society women are treated with contempt, and there is nothing more contemptuous than putting astrology at the back of women's magazines.

Yes, almost all women's magazines have astrology at the back, sometimes three, four or five pages of astrology.

And in a misogynist society women suffer the Stockholm Syndrome, where in order to survive, they accept the values of those who regard them with contempt.

And those who suffer the Stockholm Syndrome are called compradors, and support and co-operate and collaborate with those who regard them with contempt.

Misogyny is an iron trap, and even co-opts those it regards with contempt.

And astrology treats women with contempt.
    Oh, so it's an issue of 'women's rights' now?