User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 18.13%
  • No

142 78.02%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

7 3.85%
First 30383940414250 Last

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    no... but Jupiter conjuncts Uranus... and I don't even want to THINK about what THAT would entail! :horor:

I'm mooning Aries
    That's the principle of expansion in conjunction with Uranus isn't it?

I think I'd bettter stop now!
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

but yes... the concept that my outward appearance and behavior are ruled by the picky and fastidious virgin is just silly!

would that be implying that if I went home with a guy it was to do some laundry and the dishes?!

not to mention I'm supposed to have a violent homelife with my Mars in Cancer, and that couldn't be farther from the truth :rolli:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    This bit of the discussion was probably among what went into the graveyard too *no comment required on the moderation*. Newtonian physics and astrology really have nothing to say about each other, and are therefore scarcely in competition. Any attempt to propose a mechanism for astrolgy founded on the Newtonian model is necessarily weak and open to ridicule. Is Newtonian physics our sole model even for gaining an empirical understanding of the physical universe these days, however?
    That's not at all what I'm talking about.

n-body problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are you sure about this? Much of contemporary astrology is a relatively modern creation, though it's indeed partially founded on older principles. It's not necessarily the case that the ancients, including the astrologers/astronomers (when the two terms were hard to differentiate) DID think that the planets were humanoid gods. And an association fallacy appears to be creeping in here too. Would you dismiss the contemporary relevance of Euclid, Aristotle and Plato because it is fairly easy to demonstrate that there are no gods living on Mount Olympus?
    In that case, isn't it even more clearly entirely made up with no basis in reality?

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    That's not at all what I'm talking about.

n-body problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Interesting, but why is it relevant?

In that case, isn't it even more clearly entirely made up with no basis in reality?
    All theories are "entirely made up". To address this properly we need to define what constitutes a valid basis in reality and agree on that definition.

MBTI
    INTJ

No, don't be ridiculous. There is no empirical basis for believing in astrology; it is pseudoscience.

You might as well ask me if I believe that Jesus appears on my toast, or if numbers held a special meaning.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    No, don't be ridiculous. There is no empirical basis for believing in astrology; it is pseudoscience.

You might as well ask me if I believe that Jesus appears on my toast, or if numbers held a special meaning.
    Do numbers hold a special meaning?
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ESTP

Astrology is ridiculous.

I can believe that the alignment of the stars dictates our destiny, as this is quite a tempting hypothesis.
    However, astrology has no basis.

Astronomically, it is completely wrong. One cannot actually believe in the stars ruling our personality for example, because what astrology takes to be the chart at our birth is completely and utterly wrong.

A child born today would be, according to astrologers, in the sign of Gemini, that is, the sun is in Gemini; this is not true, as the sun is still physically in Taurus right now and it's going to be there for another two weeks.

It is not reasonable to believe that astrology can be an instrument to tell the future, because it is actually wrong. It refers to the positions of celestial objects, however, in the assumptions this so called science makes, however, it ignores some basic laws of astronomy.

According to the hypothesis, the stars are they key to what astrology does. But astrology (at least partially) is underpinned by an erroneous set of assumptions regarding the stars. Even if I were to believe that stars actually impact my fate, I still cannot believe that what astrology predicts is correct.

Furthermore, the astrology theory is fundamentally mistaken. What the astrological model predicts can't be demoted in any way possible, so it is not a good model at all.

What baffles me is how people can devote their lives to this and build their lives around something so futile or even believe it's true.
    But of course. It is profitable.

. . . and money makes the world go around! It's ANTI astrology! LOL

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by une_autre View Post
    It is not reasonable to believe that astrology can be an instrument to tell the future, because it is actually wrong.
    (etc)

Do you have anything to add to this discussion beyond truth claims based on circular reasoning?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Interesting, but why is it relevant?
    Because the person to whom I was originally responding cited chaos theory as an example of 'how astrology could work'... when in fact it's the opposite.

All theories are "entirely made up". To address this properly we need to define what constitutes a valid basis in reality and agree on that definition.
    umm, k