User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 18.13%
  • No

142 78.02%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

7 3.85%
First 28363738394048 Last

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    One of my college friends is an astronomer.

He just got into the astrophysics PhD program at Berkeley.

Guess what you get if you ask him about astrology: a blank stare of ignorance.

He knows nothing about it.

Nor do most astronomers.

Cuz astronomers don't study astrology; they study astronomy.

Unless someone has actually studied astrology, their opinion on the matter is useless.

Kinda like yours, Victor.

If your friend enters AstroPhysics and/or studies Quantum Mechanics he would probably be intrigued by the possibilities of investigating what truth might lay in the underpinning of, in all probability, a very bastardised version of the original theory and mathematics.

I would love to know what knowledge of the ancients mankind has forgotten

I think you would be very, very unlikely to get a total dismissal of the possibility by someone like Prof. Steven Hawking.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Victor it must be great to be so certain about such things.
    You should see it when Victor accuses Carl Jung of "sexually abusing" his patients.
    He's certain of everything.

BUBBLEBATH!!!!!!!!!!!

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

I think you would be very, very unlikely to get a total dismissal of the possibility by someone like Prof. Steven Hawking.
    Are you trying to say that people should not discount the possibility that every single astrological theory in the history of humanity is correct, just because it's 'possible'?

The chances are about the same as the chances that they got everything right by coincidence :/

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Are you trying to say that people should not discount the possibility that every single astrological theory in the history of humanity is correct, just because it's 'possible'?

The chances are about the same as the chances that they got everything right by coincidence :/
    What I am saying is that being adamant that there is no truth in astrology is not very smart. For a theory to have survived in different forms in different cultures it may have a profound truth buried in it.

From the physical perspective, think of the chaos theory but on a more minute scale - who would have thought that the impact of butterflies flying in one part of the world could have such a significant effect on weather in another part of the world.

I think we have to say that there is a possibility in there that we do not yet understand but cannot adamantly discount because we do not currently know or understand how it could.

We would not know what we currently understand about our physical world without the fact that people have been brave enough through the millenia to challenge established thought and seek the understanding to prove it.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Smile

What I am saying is that being adamant that there is no truth in astrology is not very smart. For a theory to have survived in different forms in different cultures it may have a profound truth buried in it.
    Astrology is not a theory. General Relativity is.

Astrology is a confidence trick.

So the only remaining question is -

Who do you want to trick - yourself or others?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Astrology is not a theory. General Relativity is.

Astrology is a confidence trick.

So the only remaining question is -

Who do you want to trick - yourself or others?
    Astrology is not a theory? Really?

So the 'theory' of physics, evolution and etc, aren't right.

Anything is a confidence trick. What is 'real' confidence? Define what 'real confidence' is.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

You do like it, don't you, Victor?

All this gay pwnage...

You just can't help yerself...

You gotta keep comin back for more...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Burden of Proof

Astrology seems to be a very common subject that people forget this on.

You are dreamy, with a psychological nature that is oriented towards nostalgia for things past, towards your mother and your family. Your instinct and your need to protect yourself from the outside world are highly developed. Your inner life is rich, with a vivid and even unlimited imagination, a propensity to avoid all risks and to pursue security. You show your true face only to persons you can trust and you need the well being brought about by the nostalgia for the past.

With this Ascendant, you come across as emotional, sentimental, restful, sensitive, loyal, enduring, protective, vulnerable, generous, romantic, tender, poetic, paternal or maternal, dreamy, indolent, greedy and dedicated. You may also be fearful, unrealistic, evasive, passive, touchy, anxious, dependent, stubborn, lunatic, backward-looking, lazy, burdensome, impenetrable and a homebody.
    Wow... Stuff like this will shake my confidence in anything, let alone something I never believed in the first place. People saying astrology needs to be looked deeper into, where? What part of astrology is going to actually make sense?
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'm an astrologer, and I'm gonna tell you things about you without even knowing you....just take a look at my signature.