User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 18.13%
  • No

142 78.02%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

7 3.85%
First 27353637383947 Last

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    If you open your mind too much, it will fall out ;D

I agree that most people are not open-minded enough, but I don't think astrology is a very good way to fix that.
    LOL no, astrology won't fix that, but accepting that just because we do not understand something now, doesn't mean that that thing is impossible just might.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    LOL no, astrology won't fix that, but accepting that just because we do not understand something now, doesn't mean that that thing is impossible just might.
    You can find out about astrology by simply picking up the phone and talking to an astronomer.

But you won't do that because that would spoil the confidence trick of astrology.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I think there are more things we don't understand and therefore tend as a species to write off as either nonsense or impossible.
    This.

The world is no longer flat. We still have unchartered areas of land and ocean.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Victor it must be great to be so certain about such things. I am certain that the science teacher I had as a child who told me that there was nothing smaller than an atom before proceeding to tell me about neutrons and electrons let alone later discoveries of quarks etc. felt the same way.

We tend to deny the existence of things we do not understand until someone is able to interpret them in a way that makes them definable.

@GemPOPGem - precisely!

Smile

Victor it must be great to be so certain about such things. I am certain that the science teacher I had as a child who told me that there was nothing smaller than an atom before proceeding to tell me about neutrons and electrons let alone later discoveries of quarks etc. felt the same way.

We tend to deny the existence of things we do not understand until someone is able to interpret them in a way that makes them definable.

@GemPOPGem - precisely!
    I am not certain about things, that is why I ask questions.

And to ask questions about the stars, I went to those who devote their lives to studying the stars.

And I asked the astronomers about astrology. And they just laughed. They knew astrology came along before astronomy. And they knew that astrology knew next to nothing about the stars and was a cheap confidence trick.

They couldn't believe I was asking them a serious question.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am not certain about things, that is why I ask questions.

And to ask questions about the stars, I went to those who devote their lives to studying the stars.

And I asked the astronomers about astrology. And they just laughed. They knew astrology came along before astronomy. And they knew that astrology knew next to nothing about the stars and was a cheap confidence trick.

They couldn't believe I was asking them a serious question.
    ...and those that posited that the earth was not flat or that it was not the centre of the universe were tried as heretics. Or those "experts" that would not allow Einstein admission to a technical school because he didn't have the "prerequisite" qualifications.

The closed mind is the origin of prejudice - derived from pre-judge - whether they are perceived as "experts" or not.

There are always "experts" without the open mind or curiosity that would allow them to question their solid beliefs.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

.. And they just laughed...
    Haha, It's like asking a straight person how a homosexual person is like.

When you've got no idea, you react/put up a defence. Usually with a laugh, or sometimes a more intense emotion, like rage.

I don't know why they would laugh though. It's like as if they believe that they are so righteous that the other side just doesn't seem to have a say, a possibility, a slight doubt...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I should be honest here - my signature for the past 5 years dropped off but hopefully it will now attach and you can see my own bias towards openness - an INTP thing for someone with extreme iNtuition
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Haha, It's like asking a straight person how a homosexual person is like.

When you've got no idea, you react/put up a defence. Usually with a laugh, or sometimes a more intense emotion, like rage.

I don't know why they would laugh though. It's like as if they believe that they are so righteous that the other side just doesn't seem to have a say, a possibility, a slight doubt...
    Victor, how does it feel to get owned by Ming?

You like getting owned by gay teenagers?

I think you do...

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

You can find out about astrology by simply picking up the phone and talking to an astronomer.
    One of my college friends is an astronomer.

He just got into the astrophysics PhD program at Berkeley.

Guess what you get if you ask him about astrology: a blank stare of ignorance.

He knows nothing about it.

Nor do most astronomers.

Cuz astronomers don't study astrology; they study astronomy.

Unless someone has actually studied astrology, their opinion on the matter is meaningless.

Kinda like yours, Victor.