User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    33 18.13%
  • No

    142 78.02%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

    7 3.85%
First 8161718192028 Last

Results 171 to 180 of 648

  1. #171
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    At least we've found some common ground at last though!

  2. #172
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Conservatism

    Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    ... so why do some of us still embrace astrology?
    So why do some of us embrace astrology? For the same reason we embrace MBTI.

    For both astrology and MBTI reinforce conservatism.

    Both astrology and MBTI put the critical mind to sleep, and allows conservatism to flourish.

    And most interesting astrology and MBTI put the scientific mind, and so the scientific method, to sleep.

    So both astrology and MBTI take us back to pre-scientific times in a not dissimilar way that the Islamists want to take us back to the 7th Century.

    In a world of pain and humiliation, conservatism is comforting, and means we don't have to confront the causes of our pain and humiliation.

    And surprise, conservatism is not only the cause of our pain and humiliation, but seeks to distract our minds and provide a modicum of comfort.

    And most who are suffering pain and humiliation seek comfort, even in the stars at the back of women's magazines, or in MBTI on Typology Central.

  3. #173
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,426

    Default

    And Carl Jung sexually abused his patients, and created a cult, according to Victor.

  4. #174
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    astrology is as accurate as the enneagram. If you claim you don't believe in bullshit, don't believe in enneagram either.

    Take it or leave it seriously.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  5. #175
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So why do some of us embrace astrology? For the same reason we embrace MBTI.

    For both astrology and MBTI reinforce conservatism.

    Both astrology and MBTI put the critical mind to sleep, and allows conservatism to flourish.

    And most interesting astrology and MBTI put the scientific mind, and so the scientific method, to sleep.

    So both astrology and MBTI take us back to pre-scientific times in a not dissimilar way that the Islamists want to take us back to the 7th Century.

    In a world of pain and humiliation, conservatism is comforting, and means we don't have to confront the causes of our pain and humiliation.

    And surprise, conservatism is not only the cause of our pain and humiliation, but seeks to distract our minds and provide a modicum of comfort.

    And most who are suffering pain and humiliation seek comfort, even in the stars at the back of women's magazines, or in MBTI on Typology Central.
    MBTI makes way more sense, hell even radical Religion makes more sense than Astrology. Posts aren't true just because they're written in an an elaborate and idiosyncratic way.

    Edit: I originally posted astronomy, I assume because I have a physics/astronomy exam this morning

  6. #176
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    astrology is as accurate as the enneagram. If you claim you don't believe in bullshit, don't believe in enneagram either.

    Take it or leave it seriously.
    Can someone explain this to me? Why is the Enneagram so awful? It doesn't tell you who you are based on bullshit charts that have no bearing on anything, it's just like other personality systems. Why do people pick on the Enneagram so much?

  7. #177
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    A question for believers: What would happen to your personality, or your daily life, if you were born on another planet? Or born in space? You wouldn't be influenced by the same astrological threshold as you would be on the earth. Then, all of your charts and predictions would be paltry - not that they aren't already.
    Well, I'm not a believer, but I'll play devil's advocate.

    If you were born on another planet: I would assume that if you were born on another planet, this planet would be part of its own solar system (assuming it's not another planet in ours), which would have its own planetary bodies, sun(s), constellations, etc. Depending on the history and level of development of the society in which you grew up, your ancestors may have already created/discovered the various planetary bodies, sun(s), constellations, etc. surrounding your home planet and created/discovered synchronicities between those bodies and qualities/characteristics/energies/archetypes on your home planet.

    Accordingly, your planet of birth would have its own astrology, in which your existence would partake.

    As for being born in space: that's a good question. Much of astrology does seem to depend on actually being on the surface of a planet (for example, one's rising sign is the sign coming over the horizon at the exact time of your birth from the view of the place where you are born), but perhaps the rules that create one's natal chart can be bent for the case of those who are not actually on a planet...

    I mean, if you're willing to assume that we live in an inherently meaningful universe where qualities/characteristics/energies/archetypes are in sync with the planets, sun, constellations, etc., well then, you're probably willing to assume that the same ordering mechanism that brings about that synchronicity is complex and powerful enough to work in some way, shape or form if someone were to be born in space.

    Perhaps depending on the place where they're at, they'll receive bits and pieces of the archetypal energies from whatever system(s) they happen to have view of, be close to, or be native to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    @ Zarathustra: Let's suppose you were in that same shop and your brought your entire High School Cohort with you, most of whom were born under the same constellation. Do you really think they'd all be behaving the same way? That they would all be identifiable as the same archetype?
    Shop? Did you mean ship?

  8. #178
    Member JFrombaugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Several people have asked me my views about Astrology, and my answer is always the same. Although I am myself a spiritual person who is (for the most part) open to possibilities and fascinated by symbolic personality theories, Astrology is not something I truly believe in, nor do I view it as a viable personality theory.

    First, it has not in any way been scientifically proven that the positions of the planets at a person’s time of birth has any effect on a person’s personality. Second, I mostly treat Astrology as entertainment and read my horoscopes occasionally for fun, rather than taking the personality aspect of the twelve signs seriously. Third, if the Astrological birth charts were in fact widely accepted and used today, it would throw just about everybody I know into chaos. I mean, looking at my own birth chart, I am a Capricorn Sun Sign with Moon in Libra, Ascendant in Saggitarius & Mars in Aries (to name but four parts), and one can just look at my personality types I have listed in my signature and see how contradictory that is. My mother, who is an INTP, is a Scorpio (an emotionally expressive sign)! My stepfather Stephen, who is very Introverted and treats work as his God, is the hedonistic sign of Gemini! Yeah, Stephen breaks the rules all the time. Right. Short and simple, it is very unlikely that Astrology is actually an accurate theory of personality. Enneagram is a viable personality theory. Astrology is not.

    Or, if it is somehow accurate, the system has a number of imprecisions in it that haven’t been accounted for for the purposes of using it in today’s society. Therefore, even if astrology was scientifically & psychologically accurate I would not believe in it. I like to believe in theories that are actually plausible, you see.
    INFP | 4w5 | Phlegmatic-Melancholic

  9. #179
    FigerPuppet
    Guest

    Default

    It's a load o' bull.

  10. #180
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Clearly this is complete bunkum.
    Good to know.

    Also, I like this word "bunkum". It reminds me of trampolines, but I'm not sure why. It's probably my mind seeking patterns that aren't there - just like those lousy astrologers.

    banana, were you born under a trampoline by chance? No, not a star-filled one. Like a real one.

Similar Threads

  1. Height/How tall are you?
    By niffer in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 360
    Last Post: 06-20-2016, 02:44 PM
  2. What are you wearing right now?
    By Sartorial in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 04-29-2016, 02:28 PM
  3. Followers of Astrology: Why are you a believer?
    By iwakar in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 02:17 AM
  4. Why are you here?
    By rhinosaur in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 06:08 AM
  5. Happiness, Children, and Are you that one girl?
    By Wolf in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO