User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    33 18.13%
  • No

    142 78.02%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

    7 3.85%
First 7151617181927 Last

Results 161 to 170 of 648

  1. #161
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    You're too imperceptive to realize that 90% of your posts are just whining about functional perspectives you don't share.
    God, you're gullible.

  2. #162
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    God, you're gullible.
    Settle down, Jaguar. This is just your Se talking. I will have none of it in this thread.

  3. #163
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Eyebrows View Post
    Settle down, Jaguar. This is just your Se talking. I will have none of it in this thread.

  4. #164
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    You guys realize that if you live long enough, the earth with wobble just enough to augment your astrological symbol? Back when the Babylonians created Astrology 2000 years ago, I would have been a Scorpio. But I'm not today - I'm a Libra. I infer that I am a Libra by which constellation the sun rises against on my birthday. And in another couple thousand years, give or take a little, I'll be a Virgo. The constellations are not static.

    Why? Because there is nothing more to learn from the universe than physical laws and how they interact. Astrologers just draw intuitive connections where there are none - because as humans we sit and ponder and seek explanations for all that we see. We see the stars, but because we had no means of garnering tactile information about them, we settled on superstition. But now we have the means of informing ourselves... so why do some of us still embrace astrology? Because some of us think the world is the center of the universe, and so the universe focuses on the world in an astrological manner. Just as the Ancient Chinese and Romans thought that they were the center of the world.

    So are you really the center of the universe? Does the universe bestow its ethereal gifts upon you as if you were deity? In some sense, yes. You are part of the universe. But it's not a magical connection, nor is it divine. It's physical.

  5. #165
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iunr4B4wfDA&feature=fvw"]Carl Sagan on Astrology[/YOUTUBE]

    A question for believers: What would happen to your personality, or your daily life, if you were born on another planet? Or born in space? You wouldn't be influenced by the same astrological threshold as you would be on the earth. Then, all of your charts and predictions would be paltry - not that they aren't already.

    @ Zarathustra: Let's suppose you were in that same shop and your brought your entire High School Cohort with you, most of whom were born under the same constellation. Do you really think they'd all be behaving the same way? That they would all be identifiable as the same archetype?

  6. #166
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Good points Tater.

    And yeah how convenient is it that the constellation of Libra translates into an individual who cares about balance and that the constellation of Leo translates into an individual that is all bossy n stuff....

  7. #167
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    The Chinese believe that to be born in the Year of the Fire Horse is "unlucky". In the year preceding the Year of the Fire Horse, many additional fetuses are aborted - for there own sake - for their lives will be "unlucky" ones.

    Yet it is a relatively easy to disprove. Inspect everyone born in 1966, for example, and compare the various elements of there lives with those born in say 1968 or 1972.

    And still the Year of the Fire Horse is unlucky for a quarter of the planet.

    Women born in the Year of the Fire Horse are, apparently strong-willed and difficult to marry off, ergo undesirable. They are supposedly "world-changers". And that is why they are unwanted. Clearly this is complete bunkum.

    But apparently astrology is "benign"...

    Horse (zodiac) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Edit. Please forgive my generalisation, "the Chinese believe"... There's bound to be at least one that doesn't. Rendering the statement invalid.

    Sorry.

  8. #168
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Well, I'm inferring bullshit, ragashree. Oh, and I have the preponderance of data on my side.

    You still can't tell the difference between inference and presumption, it seems. You're presuming bullshit without providing any of the data that you claim other than your own assertion, which is meaninglessly subjective without it. This is making me chuckle though. I'm suspecting you're taking this line primarily to convince yourself of your own beliefs, which seem a lot more dogmatic than my own are on this issue. Given that you don't really seem to have an argument beyond repeated statements of your opinion, based on a misreading of my own comments that you haven't yet been prepared to justify with reference to anything I've actually said, you simply don't have a leg to stand on. Mere repeated insistence of something doesn't make it any more true. If you want to take issue with what I'm saying, it would help if you took note of what that actually was, and provided your reasoning.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

  9. #169
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    You still can't tell the difference between inference and presumption, it seems. You're presuming bullshit without providing any of the data that you claim other than your own assertion, which is meaninglessly subjective without it. This is making me chuckle though. I'm suspecting you're taking this line primarily to convince yourself of your own beliefs, which seem a lot more dogmatic than my own are on this issue. Given that you don't really seem to have an argument beyond repeated statements of your opinion, based on a misreading of my own comments that you haven't yet been prepared to justify with reference to anything I've actually said, you simply don't have a leg to stand on. Mere repeated insistence of something doesn't make it any more true.
    You're still not understanding, and I'm bored.

  10. #170
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    You're still not understanding, and I'm bored.
    At least we've found some common ground at last though!
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Similar Threads

  1. Height/How tall are you?
    By niffer in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 360
    Last Post: 06-20-2016, 02:44 PM
  2. What are you wearing right now?
    By Sartorial in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 04-29-2016, 02:28 PM
  3. Followers of Astrology: Why are you a believer?
    By iwakar in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 02:17 AM
  4. Why are you here?
    By rhinosaur in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 06:08 AM
  5. Happiness, Children, and Are you that one girl?
    By Wolf in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO