User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 18.13%
  • No

142 78.02%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

7 3.85%
First 311121314152363 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Z, I used to have all sorts of pet theories as to how astrology really could work, e.g., while there is only a short window of time w/r to a few weeks where a child could be born, it would "tend" to happen at a time when certain aspects/planets/energies were in alignment. I wouldn't use gravity to explain it, but rather the earth's electromagnetic field. And so on, and so forth.
    Please read and listen to the stuff by Richard Tarnas that I've posted.

In high school, I made an argument just for the sake of it in favor of astrology about electromagnetism and/or gravity as well.

I didn't believe in it, but I made it anyway.

Tarnas' view of astrology makes those kinds of arguments completely irrelevant.

And the guy is brilliant. His book on the history of western philosophy is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    In the end, however, if there were something objectively true about it, it would be proven. It wouldn't be an issue of belief. However, the reason it seems true, that it feels true, is that it takes normal human dynamics, codifies them as signs and aspects, and then recites random ones to you like a fortune cookie, the only difference being that you don't get a funny joke when you end the reading with "... in bed."

All of these normal human dynamics are common to about 80-100% of people. The 1-20% where it's off can be ascribed to the natural inaccuracy of trying to describe a complete personality.

In other words, it seems true due to confirmation bias. In fact, it's a rather good case study in the concept.
    I absolutely agree about confirmation bias.

But this is also Tarnas' point: that understanding astrology, actually separating truth from illusion, requires a far higher level of critical intelligence than is required for scientific understanding.

In Tarnas' view, one must be able to use critical thinking to separate confirmation bias from actual, genuine correlation.

We might not be able to verify these actual, genuine correlations via tests, but that doesn't mean they're not true.

Absence of evidence ain't evidence of absence, just cuz you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Infering a possibility from a hypothetical postulation is not at all the same as presuming
    Well, I'm inferring bullshit, ragashree. Oh, and I have the preponderance of data on my side.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Also, from my relatively small (although likely more extensive than most people discussing the topic on this thread) amount of study of astrology, the one repeatable and verifiable statistical study that I have seen comparing personality/ability to birth date was a study by some 20th century French statistician who set out to statistically disprove astrology but ended up reversing his opinion when he found a statistically significant correlation between professional athletes and people who had Mars in some significant aspect (probably a conjunction) to their sun sign or in their ascendant.

It's discussed in Tarnas's book Cosmos and Psyche.

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    My birth chart that was read to me by an Ayervedic (sp?) astrologer made me cry, it was so accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    Only an Ni using T would actually believe in the accuracy/validity of astrology.
    Your second comment seemingly contradicts your first.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Wait, are you really an Aries?
    Yes.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Yes.
    I don't know too much about signs other than my own, but aren't Aries supposed to be combative, fiery personalities?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    This is just a bunch of big, complicated words sewn together without saying very much at all. "Fundamental holistic patterning"? "A constant synchronicity of meaningful correlation"? "Achetypal forces"?

I'll keep reading, out of good faith to you, but my skepticism has been intensified. . .
    You do realize that this can happen whenever someone unfamiliar with the technical jargon of another field of study encounters the technical jargon of that other field of study, right?

I mean, someone totally ignorant in economics could say the same thing when I try to explain some advanced economic concept to them... but it doesn't mean I'm wrong...

(of course, it doesn't mean I'm right, either, just cuz I'm using some technical jargon...)

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Your second comment seemingly contradicts your first.
    I enjoy astrology, and the astrologer who read my chart was also incredibly intuitive.

She read me well, very well.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Plus, I'm an NF, I'm allowed, or even supposed to believe in astrology, right? :P

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Wait, are you really an Aries?
    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Yes.
    From wikipedia:

Individuals born when the Sun was in this sign are considered "Aries individuals" or "Arians". In Western astrology, Aries is considered a "masculine", positive (extrovert) sign. It is also considered a fire sign, and is one of four cardinal signs. Aries is ruled by the planet Mars. Being the first sign in the zodiac, Aries is associated with the astrological first house. Furthermore, Aries is known as the pioneer of the Zodiac, and therefore, Ariens like to be first.