User Tag List

123 Last

Anxiety, Depression and Snake Oil

It seems that many, if not most, threads are devoted to validating the neurosis, in particular to validating the defence mechanisms of the neurosis.

It reminds me of the back ward of the psychiatric hospital at Little Bay where I was surprised to discover that the schizophrenics validated one another's delusions.

Here we don't validate delusions, except religious delusions, but we do validate the defence mechanisms of neurosis.

In fact MBTI was set up to validate the neurosis of Mrs Isabel Briggs Myers.

As you know the defence mechanisms are to ward off anxiety and depression. And Isabel set up MBTI to ward off her own anxiety and depression.

And MBTI is such a successful defence mechanism to ward off anxiety and depression that Isabel was able to play the role of Pollyanna all her life.

And the role of Pollyanna fitted her culture like a glove. For Pollyanna is the perfect persona for a salesman. And Americans love a salesman, in fact their great theatrical tragedy is called, "Death of a Salesman".

And so today Americans are selling MBTI to the world as snake oil to ward of anxiety and depression.

Bless their cotton socks.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And MBTI is such a successful defence mechanism to ward off anxiety and depression that Isabel was able to play the role of Pollyanna all her life.

And so today Americans are selling MBTI to the world as snake oil to ward of anxiety and depression.
    I read a couple of your posts regarding MBTI and I get what your saying.. But if it is such a successful defense mechanism to ward off anxiety and depression, then how can you consider it snake oil? Wouldn't it just be considered a remedy? It's better than taking xanax or anti-depressants isn't it?

MBTI and the Inadequate Parent

Quote Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
    I read a couple of your posts regarding MBTI and I get what your saying.. But if it is such a successful defense mechanism to ward off anxiety and depression, then how can you consider it snake oil? Wouldn't it just be considered a remedy? It's better than taking xanax or anti-depressants isn't it?
    Yes, it would seem to be as good as xanax in that it does ward off anxiety and depression.

However, like xanax, we need to keep on taking MBTI to continue to ward off anxiety and depression.

And warding off anxiety and depression does enable us to get on with our ordinary life.

However once we stop using MBTI or xanax, we are left with anxiety and depression.

And at this point we may need help to understand our anxiety and depression so that we may grow into empathic and creative grown-ups.

Alternatively we can remain as querulous children dependent on MBTI or xanax.

It is in that sense that MBTI is snake oil, in that it takes advantage of our vulnerability without helping us grow and achieve our life goals.

MBTI is like an inadequate parent who uses us for their own purposes and is unable and unwilling to help us achieve our own goals.
    Last edited by Patches; 12-20-2013 at 02:05 AM.

MBTI
    SEXY

Victor we get it. MBTI isn't science. I totally agree that we (including myself) spend way too much time using it to explain our individual psyches, but if you really want to convince us to stop doing that, you've got to be more subtle and less obnoxious.
    (removed)

heart on fire

Bless their cotton socks.
    You wear nylon, rayon or silk?

Hate

Yes, it would seem to be as good as xanax in that it does ward off anxiety and depression.
    I don’t think you can put these two in the same category as being equal. MBTI is obviously better than Xanax because I have never seen someone strung out in rehab over MBTI. It also doesn’t alter the brain chemistry like benzodiazepines do.

like xanax, we need to keep on taking MBTI to continue to ward off anxiety and depression.
    This sounds like too much of a generalization. ..I’ve never experienced MBTI withdrawals before, but I do know what Xanax withdrawals are like and there is no comparison.

However once we stop using MBTI or xanax, we are left with anxiety and depression.And at this point we may need help to understand our anxiety and depression so that we may grow into empathic and creative grown-ups.
    I know exactly where my anxiety and depression comes from. But just because we understand where our anxiety and depression comes from, doesn’t mean that it’s going to go away. I’m a terminal disease survivor and my entire life has been one chain of traumatic events after another. But even though I’m still alive it doesn’t mean that I’ll ever be able to go back to normal again. I’m damaged beyond repair and it’s good to have something like MBTI instead of drugs and alcohol.

It is in that sense that MBTI is snake oil, in that it takes advantage of our vulnerability without helping us grow and achieve our life goals.
    I got into MBTI five years ago when I was dying from a disease. It turned out to be the catalyst for me to begin the self-discovery process which then led me to venture into other subjects which ultimately led to me mustering up the strength to survive my disease. So it definitely was the catalyst that did help me grow.

MBTI is like an inadequate parent who uses us for their own purposes and is unable and unwilling to help us achieve our own goals.
    I don't know where you grew up, but where I come from, having an inadequate parent is better than having no parents.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't see the connection between MBTI and depression/anxiety. I see a connection between internet obsession and anxiety/depression. Is it that MBTI simplifies and categories people appearing to make them more predictable? If anything I have found it either has no effect or makes me a little more depressed because of a certain futility of it. But then, I'm not all that convinced of MBTI, but mostly just like the people here and have been on this particular forum and related ones since they were created, so it is easier than trying to establish new distantly remote friendships and sort-of connections with people since I already have that here.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Victor.

Would you be satisfied if typology went away? If it ceased to exist? Would you be content then, or is your discontent the product of a larger dissatisfaction? My suspicion is that, yes, it is the product of a greater malcontent, and it's dissolution would not fill you with glee for long...
    So what are you after?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

The MBTI-bashing is too big a part of Victor's ego now. If MBTI went away, he would be devastated rather than elated.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

The Sacrificial, the Abusive, the Authoritarian and the Helping Form of Child Rearing

Quote Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
    I don't know where you grew up, but where I come from, having an inadequate parent is better than having no parents.
    This is very true indeed.

And child rearing practices have been improving over time as we have become more prosperous and educated.

We started off with the sacrificial form of child rearing, where an angry God was placated by child sacrifice. And good example is Abraham who an angry God ordered to gut and sacrifice his son.

But then slowly the sacrificial form of child rearing was replaced by the abusive form of child rearing. And we still see remnants of this in child sexual abuse.

And then the abusive form of child rearing gave way and is giving way to the authoritarian form of child rearing. The authoritarian form of child rearing is associated with the invention of the printing press and the dream of universal literacy, achieved by compulsory, authoritarian schooling. And almost all of us here have experienced compulsory, authoritarian schooling. So successful that some of us have become authors ourselves.

And thank heavens the authoritarian form of child rearing is giving way to the helping form of child rearing, at least in prosperous, educated countries.

So rather than raising the child to meet the needs of the parents, the parents help the child reach their own life goals.
    Last edited by Patches; 12-20-2013 at 02:05 AM.