• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anxiety, Depression and Snake Oil

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
Hopefully those who have nothing much else but Mbti to help them make sense of their lives (and I know there are some, I'm not trying to criticise them, just agknowledging the phenomenon) will eventually move on to develop a deeper and more fulfilling personal philosophy based on broader knowledge and more extensive awareness. Maybe Mbti is the catalyst for such people to at least start asking the right questions

Interesting observations. That whole post was interesting. Thanks.

Makes me wonder what you get out of being here.

I know several things I get: an exposure to younger people (their thoughts, culture, concerns) that helps me learn and stay current about what's going on in their world; an occasional sense of being of help/use; opportunities to 'play' with intelligent and creative people; the occasional post that really stops me in my tracks and makes me think; opportunities to observe the interplay of personalities and to improve my interpersonal skills with those who aren't much like me.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Interesting observations. That whole post was interesting. Thanks.

Cheers :) I sometimes find it hard to know how many people are actually bothering to read my my more involved philosophical meanderings, so it's always nice to actually get a reply, let alone appreciation!

Makes me wonder what you get out of being here.

I know several things I get: an exposure to younger people (their thoughts, culture, concerns) that helps me learn and stay current about what's going on in their world; an occasional sense of being of help/use; opportunities to 'play' with intelligent and creative people; the occasional post that really stops me in my tracks and makes me think; opportunities to observe the interplay of personalities and to improve my interpersonal skills with those who aren't much like me.

I'll try to answer your question; my reasons are pretty close to your own really, though my priorites probably tend to be different. Of course, these are all very general reasons for being on almost any worthwhile internet forum; the fact that this one contains a lot of information and discussion on psychology in general and Mbti in particular helps to give it a unique flavour of its own that happens to fit quite well with my own interests in psychology and observing human interaction.

Mostly the type and Mbti theme just helps to give my observations and interactions an added dimension. I only occasionally post on the Mbti specific sections, if something happens to particularly interest me. That's about it really - I tend to be quite an off and on participant according to whether the mood takes me or what else I'm doing.

It does worry me a bit to see some people acting more like "believers", and wanting to view everything in life through an MBTI prism, a prism that distorts, like any limited philosophy. I've never really understood the tendency of people to hold such exclusive and dominating beliefs that they underpin their whole thought process, but maybe that's because I'm something of a natural skeptic. Victor over time has come across as one of life's natural believers, a person of true and steadfast faith who has renounced the heretical and dangerous path of Mbti for the enlightened Truth of psychometrics. Now he wishes to show everyone else the way and the light, perhaps, not realising how unlike him some of the rest of us are? I don't know for sure, but I continue to observe. It has its own fascination ;)

Mole

Permabanned
Victor has a monkey on his back. But unlike many at this site who love their monkey, Victor dislikes his monkey. Maybe he used to like it, but not any more.

Ask a meth or heroin user, at what point did their love for the drug turn to hate?

There's your answer. The irony is that goldilocks has found her bed.;)

And like Goldilocks I have made my bed and now I have to lie on it.

Mole

Permabanned

Yes, it's a window on the world. And a window into myself.

And like the cat next door, I sit at the window, with my big eyes open and ears pricked, I track every movement.

I press my little nose at the window pane as though I were looking through the windscreen of a speeding car - a car moving at the speed of light, abolishing time and distance, as I remain as still as a hunter mesmerised by the hunt.

heart

heart on fire
Love your monkey.

He's the only one who can really teach you anything truthful about yourself.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
Cheers :) I sometimes find it hard to know how many people are actually bothering to read my my more involved philosophical meanderings, so it's always nice to actually get a reply, let alone appreciation!

I'll try to answer your question; my reasons are pretty close to your own really, though my priorites probably tend to be different. Of course, these are all very general reasons for being on almost any worthwhile internet forum; the fact that this one contains a lot of information and discussion on psychology in general and Mbti in particular helps to give it a unique flavour of its own that happens to fit quite well with my own interests in psychology and observing human interaction.

Mostly the type and Mbti theme just helps to give my observations and interactions an added dimension. I only occasionally post on the Mbti specific sections, if something happens to particularly interest me. That's about it really - I tend to be quite an off and on participant according to whether the mood takes me or what else I'm doing.

It does worry me a bit to see some people acting more like "believers", and wanting to view everything in life through an MBTI prism, a prism that distorts, like any limited philosophy. I've never really understood the tendency of people to hold such exclusive and dominating beliefs that they underpin their whole thought process, but maybe that's because I'm something of a natural skeptic. Victor over time has come across as one of life's natural believers, a person of true and steadfast faith who has renounced the heretical and dangerous path of Mbti for the enlightened Truth of psychometrics. Now he wishes to show everyone else the way and the light, perhaps, not realising how unlike him some of the rest of us are? I don't know for sure, but I continue to observe. It has its own fascination ;)

I get the strong believer thing; it's how I was raised. But I exited that belief system. I do remember the comfort, the ready-made peer group, the sense of purpose/mission, and the fear/guilt of even considering thoughts outside the box or over the line.

MBTI as a 'limited philosophy' . . . yes it seems that way to me but then again, any philosophy is probably limited, just by being a philosophy. Someone can be a strong believer in not being a believer. ;)

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
MBTI as a 'limited philosophy' . . . yes it seems that way to me but then again, any philosophy is probably limited, just by being a philosophy. Someone can be a strong believer in not being a believer. ;)

Lol, indeed. Those are the ones who also tend to think their own subjective beliefs are, objectively speaking, the only ones which could possibly be correct ;)

G

garbage

words words MBTI words metaphor linebreak

words MBTI words linebreak

And you know what THAT means, right? words words MBTI linebreak

words. words MBTI. linebreak.

metaphor.

H

Hate

words words MBTI words metaphor linebreak

And you know what THAT means, right? words words MBTI linebreak

words. words MBTI. linebreak.

metaphor.

words words MBTI words real life experience linebreak

words words MBTI real world example linebreak

Not everyone only speaks in metaphor. I use real life experience examples.