User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    The MBTI-bashing is too big a part of Victor's ego now. If MBTI went away, he would be devastated rather than elated.
    MBTI made me what I am today.

The Development Model

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Victor.

Would you be satisfied if typology went away? If it ceased to exist? Would you be content then, or is your discontent the product of a larger dissatisfaction? My suspicion is that, yes, it is the product of a greater malcontent, and it's dissolution would not fill you with glee for long...
    So what are you after?
    I see it as a development.

Just as astronomy developed from astrology, and just as chemistry developed from alchemy, and just as natural selection developed from creationism, so psychometrics is a development from MBTI.

So naturally I am interested in developing myself on the internet, and a well run and tolerant site like this is a good place to start.

And so naturally MBTI will remain, and the question is, how will I develop next?

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I don't see the connection between MBTI and depression/anxiety.
    MBTI will not cure clinical depression. For clinical depression is a psychosis where the sufferer is emotionally out of touch with reality.

Rather MBTI may help neurotic depression or anxiety, where the sufferer is still in touch with emotional reality.

And so we find very few psychotics here but we have our fair share of neurotics.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And thank heavens the authoritarian form of child rearing is giving way to the helping form of child rearing, at least in prosperous, educated countries.

So rather than raising the child to meet the needs of the parents, the parents help the child reach their own life goals.
    So are you saying that MBTI is the new helping parent or the inadequate parent?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMagdalena View Post
    So are you saying that MBTI is the new helping parent or the inadequate parent?
    Plainly the latter.

And an inadequate parent is better than a bad parent.

And a bad parent is better than no parent.

Hate

MBTI will not cure clinical depression. For clinical depression is a psychosis where the sufferer is emotionally out of touch with reality.

Rather MBTI may help neurotic depression or anxiety, where the sufferer is still in touch with emotional reality.

And so we find very few psychotics here but we have our fair share of neurotics.
    Where is the line drawn between clinical depression and neurotic depression? How can you tell the difference?

Could you elaborate on the emotional reality part. How do you know if someone's in touch or out of touch with it?

Quote Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
    Where is the line drawn between clinical depression and neurotic depression? How can you tell the difference?

Could you elaborate on the emotional reality part. How do you know if someone's in touch or out of touch with it?
    Those suffering from schizophrenia have a thought disorder.

While those suffering from clinical depression have an emotional disorder.

So schizophrenics have delusions of thought, while the clinically depressed have delusions of emotion.

Both schizophrenia and clinical depression are psychoses, and the sufferers are psychotic.

And psychotics are unable to function in the normal world.

Whereas neurotics may be unhappy but they can function in the normal world.
    Last edited by Patches; 12-20-2013 at 02:05 AM.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

And so naturally MBTI will remain, and the question is, how will I develop next?
    This is an interesting topic to ponder in existential terms. Many of the more, shall we say, "enthusiastic" posters on here actually derive considerable meaning in their lives (which may otherwise lack it) by their ceasless reflections on the mechanisms of Mbti and their own personalities. I'm not sure if it's always a healthy way to gain this meaning (I am concerned that excessive navel-gazing tends to promote neurotic tendencies and reinforce existing ones), but it is one way of doing it which is at present working for them. Mbti even in these circumstances can help to provide a sense of purpose and reinforcement of self-identity, which in turn keeps the wolves of existential despair and feelings of futility at bay. Hopefully those who have nothing much else but Mbti to help them make sense of their lives (and I know there are some, I'm not trying to criticise them, just agknowledging the phenomenon) will eventually move on to develop a deeper and more fulfilling personal philosophy based on broader knowledge and more extensive awareness. Maybe Mbti is the catalyst for such people to at least start asking the right questions in a society that tends to repress and devalue individual identity, even if it ultimately is too limited (or, according to Victor, just plain wrong) to provide all the answers to the riddle of existence that they seek.

For you, Victor, I think the issue is a bit different. Obviously you don't extract much existential meaning from the actual Mbti philosophy, because you don't like it, that much is clear. However, being on this site criticising Mbti in your own inimitable manner appears to be quite an important part of your life, and presumably the sense the activity must confer on you of a righteous duty being fulfilled is giving you a sense of focus and meaning in your life. You additionally tend to do a lot of metaphysical and phillosophical questioning in your exchanges with people.

Perhaps you too are gaining meaning and identity now from your involvement with Mbti in a similar way to those who actually use it as a philosophy of life, but through an entirely different process that is the mirror image of theirs. You are obviously fulfilling some kind of need deep within yourself by being here, or you wouldn't continue to be. Perhaps in your case the questions you ask when criticising Mbti fulfil the same function as those others ask through Mbti, of developing your awareness and preparing you for the move to a more fulfilling philosophy that can allow you to create meaning in your life beyond it. It seems to me that you may be as essentially dependent on Mbti as its keenest adherents, and for the same existential reasons, though the process by which the dependence manifests is the converse of theirs. What do you think?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    NICE

Victor has a monkey on his back. But unlike many at this site who love their monkey, Victor dislikes his monkey. Maybe he used to like it, but not any more.

Ask a meth or heroin user, at what point did their love for the drug turn to hate?

There's your answer. The irony is that goldilocks has found her bed.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Victor has a monkey on his back. But unlike many at this site who love their monkey, Victor dislikes his monkey. Maybe he used to like it, but not any more.

Ask a meth or heroin user, at what point did their love for the drug turn to hate?

There's your answer. The irony is that goldilocks has found her bed.
    Interesting and very valid point. This may be a lot of the reason why the disputes Victor has with people sometimes turn so personal, so quickly. I will criticise where I think criticism is due (and occasionally for fun ), but the amount of defensive hostility I see directed at some of Victor's posts startles me at times, though not as much as it fascinates me in terms of psychological process. Victor often seems to be primarily aiming to convince himself when he speaks, but the power this sometimes has to tap into the emotions of others and put them on the defensive is quite remarkable. Perhaps in your terms some do not like to be reminded of the presence of own monkeys...?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...