MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Dreams: How Do You Dance with Your Chimera

Dreams

Do the choices we make in them have any impact? If so how and where. What about all of the dream people? Are there dream worlds out there with just as much value as "the real world"? Does the dream universe go beyond the "real universe". Have you ever died in a dream? Halucinations...do they belong to the real world or the dream world. Can someone be an atheist in the 'real world' and a theist in the dream world? What happens to our dreams/dream worlds when we die?

For me the dream worlds hold as much value in my life than the 'real world'. Maybe thats why I am a P instead of a J. My dreams are very vivid and often intense. It feels as if I create quicker and more intense relationships. A lot more action...and much less apparent consequence.

I talked to this old guy from a college philosophy class who also appeared to be different from most of the sheeple. He told me he would set his alarm when he estimated that his dreams/(REM) were at their peak. The alarm would awaken him and he would write down his dreams.

I tried it a couple of times but it seemed...sacraligious.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

The problem with dreams (for some) is that they are difficult to qualify. Difficult to determine if they are full of hidden meanings or meaningless. Difficult to measure, to time, to trace in a linear fashion.

This might seem a problem with many in western society but less so for eastern societies or those individual in touch with their Pness. These devices for measuring, keeping track of time, chronicling events, finding precise meaning and rules of interpretation...are mostly irrelevant and arbitrary. (unless you are building a structure up to code or a Lexus that won't roll driving quickly on a sharp curve)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Dreams

Do the choices we make in them have any impact? If so how and where. What about all of the dream people? Are there dream worlds out there with just as much value as "the real world"? Does the dream universe go beyond the "real universe". Have you ever died in a dream? Halucinations...do they belong to the real world or the dream world. Can someone be an atheist in the 'real world' and a theist in the dream world? What happens to our dreams/dream worlds when we die?

For me the dream worlds hold as much value in my life than the 'real world'. Maybe thats why I am a P instead of a J. My dreams are very vivid and often intense. It feels as if I create quicker and more intense relationships. A lot more action...and much less apparent consequence.

I talked to this old guy from a college philosophy class who also appeared to be different from most of the sheeple. He told me he would set his alarm when he estimated that his dreams/(REM) were at their peak. The alarm would awaken him and he would write down his dreams.

I tried it a couple of times but it seemed...sacraligious.
    Well, Chaos theory tells you that even the slightest difference in a seemingly insignificant choice can have a huge impact on everything. That could also come down to the choices you make in your dreams. I'd say that the odds of it causing any great impact are low though, and it's nearly impossible to speculate what kind of impact that could be. 'The simple flapping of a butterflies wings could cause a hurricane on the other side of the world...' (I think that's how it goes)

Your dreams may only seem intense because you can only remember the parts that are most intense. You know how you'll wake up with a 'feeling' after your dreams and then you can't recall any detail? I'm willing to think that dreams are just randomness. You'd gain more insight into your subconcious while you're awake. But if you think that reality is just a dream (... is just randomness maybe?), I can see how they'd mean more.

There has to be a starting point somewhere. Dreams come from some sort of random electric signals in your sleep and we came about from some random big bang. What's the difference?
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Your dreams may only seem intense because you can only remember the parts that are most intense. You know how you'll wake up with a 'feeling' after your dreams and then you can't recall any detail?[/I]
    This is an interesting point although the dream I had when I woke up this morning was being chased around with someone who was being chased around by a psychopathic drug cartel.

Good point on Chaos Theory, yet I am thinking more concrete.

For example that maybe in another dimension or on some planet or alternative reality the choices we have in our dreams have a profound impact. I.e. if we kill someone in our dreams the family of the dream victims will morn and suffer.

Perhaps reality is also just electronic impulses similar to the Matrix (I am not so willing to test this theory by stepping in front of a truck but then again in my dreams I don't go around stepping in front of moving vehicles either)

Or in the very least dream karma.

I know it sounds crazy...call me a dreamer.

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

I'm on to you in this one, what I've noticed so far is that dream-memories (memories one has within a dream of that certain dreamscape) always occur if you are dreaming something very similiar and the changes made, rearranges how those memories in the dreams are interpreted.

I like to think that what I am doing in dreams is actually poking this side (or any other side as there's plenty of sides) and bonding with objects(souls/matter/whatever seen or not seen) for the purpose of meeting up one day or just perhaps meet up one day. Not sure this really applies at all to what you meant. It really doesn't.

And I was thinking something else but it got lost in all of the commotion.

I wonder, do you ever kill for fun in dreams? Because I simply couldn't. I feel terrible inflicting any kind of pain upon anyone on either side.

Is the dream-self different?

I would very much be viewed as an enfp (I'm going mbti in a thread that had a lovely rest from the topic) type of personality if my dreamself would be different.
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Gtzk View Post
    I wonder, do you ever kill for fun in dreams? Because I simply couldn't. I feel terrible inflicting any kind of pain upon anyone on either side.

Is the dream-self different?.
    I thinks so as I have killed in dreams, although the violence is generally not too graphic. (i.e. throwing someone off a bridge). In general my dream self doesn't kill or perfers not to kill although it seems to like to fist fight/street fight.

Whether our dream selfs are different. I would answer that in my case they are similar but not identical.

Some other interesting albeit vauge points raised, especially as far as dream memories/astral projection will need some time to ponder those.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I only tend to remember the nightmares, which I have rather frequently... there's nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night feeling completely off because of some damned dream :steam:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

I think dreams can be significant, particularly if the dream is accompanied by a sense of meaning... I look for what it could be telling me about what I'm feeling or how I perceive things currently, or about things I would like to change. The meaning is typically a combination of symbolic and literal. Typically there is heavy symbolism during periods of transition in my life.

That said I have had dreams which included plump, warm, baby animals two nights in a row (puppies the first night, and a bunny the second night). This has me somewhat baffled...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I only tend to remember the nightmares, which I have rather frequently... there's nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night feeling completely off because of some damned dream :steam:
    Nightmares can be terrifying. I can remember one quiet clearly from years ago about Yuppies on PCP trying to kill. As for other dreams maybe going out in nature and sleeping under the moon would help. Also the supplement melatonin combined with the L-Lysine gives me especially vivid dreams and might awaken the good ones you have. They can be found at most drug stores/health food stores.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I think dreams can be significant, particularly if the dream is accompanied by a sense of meaning... I look for what it could be telling me about what I'm feeling or how I perceive things currently, or about things I would like to change. The meaning is typically a combination of symbolic and literal. Typically there is heavy symbolism during periods of transition in my life.

That said I have had dreams which included plump, warm, baby animals two nights in a row (puppies the first night, and a bunny the second night). This has me somewhat baffled...
    I agree that many dreams transfer meanings. Dream dictionaries are pretty good in my opinion. Free ones on the Internet. Here is what it says about your dream.

Pup
    To dream of pups, denotes that you will entertain the innocent and hapless, and thereby enjoy pleasure. The dream also shows that friendships will grow stronger, and fortune will increase if the pups are healthful and well formed, and vice versa if they are lean and filthy.
    Rabbit
    To dream of rabbits, foretells favorable turns in conditions, and you will be more pleased with your gains than formerly. To see white rabbits, denotes faithfulness in love, to the married or single. To see rabbits frolicking about, denotes that children will contribute to your joys.

I don't know how I feel about universal symbolism in my dreams... but that is food for thought!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.