User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Are intelligent women more likely to be depressed?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

This article is from UK-based research, which I think is an important point. I live in the UK. Britain is a society with a huge drinking problem and while there is a strong perception that it’s mostly working-class louts and sluts going on binges on the weekend (and every weeknight, in some cases), apparently the research reveals that the middle class on average consumes even more because they put away a bottle of wine per person each weeknight and often have at least a bit of a binge on the weekends too.

I haven’t got a clue what drinking patterns are like in the US these days – I know most of you are American. I’m actually Canadian and I haven’t much of a clue about drinking patterns in Canada either as I have lived abroad for many years now.

It is worth noting, however, that although the English do have a big drinking problem (so do the Irish, though not necessarily more so than the English, contrary to popular perception – I also lived in Ireland for a few years), the biggest offenders that I’ve met here by far have been Aussies, Kiwis, and Scandinavians, who seem to believe that a social life is absolutely worthless if it doesn’t involve getting completely and totally hammered.

Where I grew up on the west coast of Canada, it was much more of a coffee culture. People went to cafes much more than to pubs. Over here, people of various nationalities often think you’re odd if you don’t want to drink, or only want one or two, in a night of socializing. But I have a sneaking suspicion that people all over the western world are drinking more than they used to – even those who are pretty moderate drinkers. I think it’s a (rather unhealthy) way of coping with stress.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

^Good post. Thanks for that perspective.

I think locale is a huge factor. I have degrees and my husband has a degree, and we will occasionally enjoy a drink or two on a week night, and will imbibe quite a bit more if we hang out with friends, which tends to occur about once per month. But here in western Montana, it's also a bit more of a health-conscious coffee/tea culture. In my area, most singles work all week and don't tend to go out (i.e. drink much) until the weekends, and married couples tend to be pretty sober for the most part, especially those with kids.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Eh, I think really smart/educated/ambitious women end up dealing with more social stress and difficulty fitting in within more conservative circles. It makes a lot of sense to me that they would (need to) drink more.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Educational Attainment != Intelligence

More like financial opportunity.

Therefore, there is no correlation between intelligence and drinking (which I do not partake in and is perhaps why I felt compelled to chime in).
    This 100%, all that needs to be said

MBTI
    GONE

Isn't that just related to stress? With similar reasons to why women smoke or have higher rates of heart disease now?

The study tests not just on intelligence but degree attainment which to me indicates more your ambitiousness rather than intelligence.

Ambitious people work hard to attain, they get stressed, they drink, smoke, or do other substances. Particularly if they network informally through bars and parties where drinking is common.

I wouldn't be surprised though if these women also did yoga or ran a lot - which are 'healthy' ways to off gas stress.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Well I suppose more intelligent women would tend to have well-paying jobs, and stock up with nice wines.

What's ironic is that alcohol consumption makes you act like more of an idiot than usual.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Cleverest women are the heaviest drinkers

Those with degrees
    I stopped reading there.

Ginkgo

Do drinking women smart more?

Do smarting women fart more?

Someone should assess the average IQ of Irish and German women. We should also conduct the studies wearing beer goggles, because of potential flying debris. But then we might skew the studies because pregnant women don't usually drink.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Where I grew up on the west coast of Canada, it was much more of a coffee culture. People went to cafes much more than to pubs. Over here, people of various nationalities often think you’re odd if you don’t want to drink, or only want one or two, in a night of socializing. But I have a sneaking suspicion that people all over the western world are drinking more than they used to – even those who are pretty moderate drinkers. I think it’s a (rather unhealthy) way of coping with stress.
    I think its more of a social lubricant or disinhibitor for a hell of a lot of people too, I was going to say about a time I had a friend visit from abroad who found the relatively early closing time week nights of cafes and coffee houses surprising but coffee wouldnt meet the need of most of the people who need a few drinks to give them confidence to start conversations.