Regarded as a form of control, torture or an underlying theme of torture, solitary confinement has the potential to change the way we think and behave. National Geographic has found volunteers to undergo solitary confinement, they began their participation on the second of April. They are being video taped throughout their experience:
Solitary Confinement - National Geographic Channel
Interview with expert on solitary confinement
In another realm, deprivation of another sort is sought and sold as a form of meditation and therapy, sensory deprivation.
Hallucinations and sensory dep tank
These people want to sell it to you
They are interesting topics individually, however I am looking for opinions and thoughts on them together.
1) Initial thoughts on using solitary confinement as torture or corrective measure
2) Would you ever volunteer for an investigation like the one National Geographic is conducting?
3) Would you ever be interested in experiencing a sensory deprivation tank?
4) Have you ever experienced periods of time without social interaction that left you in a state similar to the one described in the interview?
Some "what if" statements for you to play with if you'd like...
5) What if sensory deprivation tanks were used as punishment or torture....?
6) What if the effects of sensory dep were never formally explored...?