Ever tried it?

Does it work?

Ever researched it?

Know anything about it?

Thoughts?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I've heard hypnosis only works if the person allows it to happen. It doesn't work for everybody. When hypnosis does work, the person enters into a suggestible state... your normal inhibitions can go down and it's been said to help you remove subconscious barriers to memory. However you're just as likely to be influenced by the hypnotist to make stuff up as recalling actual memory. Under current laws, I believe anything recalled under hypnosis cannot be used as evidence in court. There has been too many cases of imagined child abuse arising from hypnosis/psychotherapy...

Under current laws, I believe anything recalled under hypnosis cannot be used as evidence in court. There has been too many cases of imagined child abuse arising from hypnosis/psychotherapy...
    That's interesting. I've heard similar things about hypnosis, particularly that you have to believe you can be hypnotized in order to be hypnotized, which sounds convenient. Imagined child abuse is pretty interesting, though. Of all the things to imagine, why child abuse? Why not imagine you had been a mythical princess in some past life? LOL.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    That's interesting. I've heard similar things about hypnosis, particularly that you have to believe you can be hypnotized in order to be hypnotized, which sounds convenient. Imagined child abuse is pretty interesting, though. Of all the things to imagine, why child abuse? Why not imagine you had been a mythical princess in some past life? LOL.
    Uhhh there's heavy influence from psychoanalysis... believe that problems are caused by childhood traumas of sexual nature. Some therapists believed hypnosis can help the patient recall stuff. *shrugs* lots of weird stuff happened back then.

Reliability and Suggestibility of Child Abuse Memories

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I can't imagine myself ever "letting go" enough to be able to be hypnotized. I've heard it's helped some people to quit smoking, I've often wondered if it could help me quit. Moot point, I suppose, I don't think I'd ever "allow" it to happen.

Control freak.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I've actually considered going to a hypnotist to help quit smoking to tell the truth.... embarassing for me to admit? yes. But I've heard that it works well!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ

I have hypnotized and been hypnotized. It's a very unique experience...not really as strange as many people make it out to be. The person has to be willing and comfortable enough to allow it.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume