• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hypnosis!?

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT
I think it works.

Ever tried it?

Does it work?

Ever researched it?

Know anything about it?

Thoughts?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I've heard hypnosis only works if the person allows it to happen. It doesn't work for everybody. When hypnosis does work, the person enters into a suggestible state... your normal inhibitions can go down and it's been said to help you remove subconscious barriers to memory. However you're just as likely to be influenced by the hypnotist to make stuff up as recalling actual memory. Under current laws, I believe anything recalled under hypnosis cannot be used as evidence in court. There has been too many cases of imagined child abuse arising from hypnosis/psychotherapy...

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Under current laws, I believe anything recalled under hypnosis cannot be used as evidence in court. There has been too many cases of imagined child abuse arising from hypnosis/psychotherapy...

That's interesting. I've heard similar things about hypnosis, particularly that you have to believe you can be hypnotized in order to be hypnotized, which sounds convenient. Imagined child abuse is pretty interesting, though. Of all the things to imagine, why child abuse? Why not imagine you had been a mythical princess in some past life? LOL.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
That's interesting. I've heard similar things about hypnosis, particularly that you have to believe you can be hypnotized in order to be hypnotized, which sounds convenient. Imagined child abuse is pretty interesting, though. Of all the things to imagine, why child abuse? Why not imagine you had been a mythical princess in some past life? LOL.

Uhhh there's heavy influence from psychoanalysis... believe that problems are caused by childhood traumas of sexual nature. Some therapists believed hypnosis can help the patient recall stuff. *shrugs* lots of weird stuff happened back then.

Reliability and Suggestibility of Child Abuse Memories

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I can't imagine myself ever "letting go" enough to be able to be hypnotized. I've heard it's helped some people to quit smoking, I've often wondered if it could help me quit. Moot point, I suppose, I don't think I'd ever "allow" it to happen.

Control freak. :devil:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've actually considered going to a hypnotist to help quit smoking to tell the truth.... embarassing for me to admit? yes. But I've heard that it works well! :D

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have hypnotized and been hypnotized. It's a very unique experience...not really as strange as many people make it out to be. The person has to be willing and comfortable enough to allow it.