• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eliminate one fear

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If a genie granted you one wish that you could use to eliminate one fear, which fear would you choose? Why did you choose that fear? What other fears were you considering? Walk me through your thought process, please. None of the "I like myself just the way I am" evasion. ;)

(crossposted at INTPc)

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Tough question. I have a fear of heights, but I want the feeling of accomplishment of eliminating that fear by myself one day. A year ago I was afraid of everything, but now I only have a few. I suppose if it wasn't an evil genie, I would ask him to take away my fear of losing everyone important to me. I don't know if it would be a wise fear to lose, but it is the one that keeps me up some nights.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't remember clicking this posted but now that I have I shall answer.

I would eliminate the fear of talking in front of people. I have to this all the time or I will and I often freeze, it's really bad. I can't explain why I'm so terrified I know majority of everyone else is terrified. No matter how much I tell myself this I still can not talk in front of people. Maybe I feel judged, maybe I don't ever have much to say, or maybe I feel like everything I have to say has been said before. That's the only real fear I have (besides being anally probed by airport security)

Usehername

On a mission
Fear of not keeping my body healthy enough that I'll be too weak to handle some unexpected challenge and get pwned. (Note: unrelated to my level of health lately. This has always stressed me out. I always way over-pack for canoe tripping, for example, out of this fear.)

I do this even for exam studying. I'm too worried to stay up really late to mess up my sleeping habits and then I'll crash during the exam. I don't have anxiety about writing it but I do about studying :doh:

lecky

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wish I didn't care so much about what others think or how I'm being perceived. Originally I was going to say I would like to rid of my fear of public speaking, but I think that fear stems from extreme self-consciousness. This is not an everyday fear, it happens in waves...just enough to get on my nerves and it prevents me from being who I really am.

I believe it's getting better as I age, so maybe I won't need a genie.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fear of [being judged by] people.

I'm sure the reasons are obvious.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Fear of trying new stuff, which seems to be thew source of a lot of other problematic fears. I have the logic to handle the obviously stupid stuff.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I wish I didn't care so much about what others think or how I'm being perceived. Originally I was going to say I would like to rid of my fear of public speaking, but I think that fear stems from extreme self-consciousness. This is not an everyday fear, it happens in waves...just enough to get on my nerves and it prevents me from being who I really am.

I believe it's getting better as I age, so maybe I won't need a genie.

I suspect this may be why I fear public speaking.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My fear of the known becoming the unknown.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Fear of loving someone and having to watch them die, yet not being able to do anything about it.

No answers how to get over it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I'd eliminate my fear of fears.

Smart alek.

Fear of [being judged by] people.

Yes, that's what I'd say too.

And what's the deal with that? We'd think that Ti people would just be able to assess someone else's opinion as faulty and shrug it off.

With me, it can be debilitating, though. Even when I know the criticism is unfounded or irrelevant.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, I really think the thing that sucks about fear is not the experience of it as much as the exhaustion and effort used to avoid the feeling. It's a fear of fear.

You should always follow your own rules. :)

Once you explained yourself, your choice made a great deal of sense. (and yup, I agree with the logic... it's the running from fear that kills us).

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You should always follow your own rules. :)

Once you explained yourself, your choice made a great deal of sense. (and yup, I agree with the logic... it's the running from fear that kills us).

^5! :)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Fear of death
Fear of rejection
Fear of success

Yes I can count.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd eliminate my fear of plants with large leaves! :D

(I'm quite serious there- I won't even buy heads of Romaine because the large leaves freak me out- I also refuse to leave the path while hiking if there are plants with large leaves along it *shudder*)

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'd eliminate my fear of plants with large leaves! :D

(I'm quite serious there- I won't even buy heads of Romaine because the large leaves freak me out- I also refuse to leave the path while hiking if there are plants with large leaves along it *shudder*)

Interesting fear. Any ideas where it's from? (If you care to share...)