User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    I would get rid of my fear of death. Sometimes it scares me soo bad.
    Interesting! One of my best friends is an ENFP and her fear of death consumes her sometimes. It seems like every two months or so I will get the phone call where we will discuss what we think will happen when we die. I imagine everyone has a natural fear of death, but my friend takes it to a whole different level. She gets frustrated when I tell her that I don't know what will happen, she wants a definite answer.
    Last edited by lecky; 12-09-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Interesting fear. Any ideas where it's from? (If you care to share...)
    no clue- maybe it was functional since I was a farmer's kid and it got me out of some work- I seriously panic if I come into contact with plants with large leaves though
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't have to name one. I can name as many as I want. And that's exactly what I'm going to do.

F.E.A.R.S.
    • Agoraphobia: fear of being in public
    • Genophobia: fear of sex
    • Gynophobia: fear of women
    • Gymnophobia: fear of nudity
    • Gerantophobia: fear of old people
    • Atychiphobia: fear of failure
    • Sociophobia: fear of people
    • Xenophobia: fear of strangers
    • Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: fear of long words

I want these phobias destroyed.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

If a genie granted you one wish that you could use to eliminate one fear, which fear would you choose? Why did you choose that fear? What other fears were you considering? Walk me through your thought process, please. None of the "I like myself just the way I am" evasion.

(crossposted at INTPc)

To no longer be afraid of physical torture. Maybe if I wasn't in dread of it, it wouldn't have such a hold on me. Screw it. Never mind. I'll pick something tame... ok. I hate elevators. There's nothing natural about being sealed in a metal box with a bunch of strangers and sent up or down a shaft. I hate spiders too.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I rescue spiders.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

My biggest fear is of being poor in my old age.

I also fear being harshly judged by people.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    • Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: fear of long words

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by lecky View Post
    Interesting! One of my best friends is an ENFP and her fear of death consumes her sometimes. It seems like every two months or so I will get the phone call where we will discuss what we think will happen when we die. I imagine everyone has a natural fear of death, but my friend takes it to a whole different level. She gets frustrated when I tell her that I don't know what will happen, she wants a definite answer.
    Odd.

Sometimes it scares me that I don't fear death.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

If a genie granted you one wish that you could use to eliminate one fear, which fear would you choose? Why did you choose that fear? What other fears were you considering? Walk me through your thought process, please. None of the "I like myself just the way I am" evasion.

(crossposted at INTPc)
    Fear of myself.

Most of my fears (of which there are many) have some connection to a limited ability to trust myself. There has not been a time in my life that I can remember in which I wasn't grappling with a particular fear. I've learned to overcome them, but can only do it one at a time. Interestingly enough coming face to face with myself is my next natural step. I need to be alone with myself to make sure I am past betraying myself as I once did.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Consolidated replies

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I guess the only irrational fear I have is claustrophobia, I have that pretty bad, and I'd like that one gone.
    I've noticed that being in enclosed places depresses me slightly. When I walk outside, my mood and outlook noticeably improves and I feel a sense of peace. I think it's a mild form of claustrophobia, or rather, that claustrophobia is an extreme form of the discomfort most people feel in being in such an unnaturally closed off place. A building is an elaborate cage, and who the fuck wants to be caged?

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    I guess I become self-conscious only when folks start pointing out things, repeatedly. Then I think about what they said, does it make sense. Drop my feelings about it and see how I look if I were staring at a stranger with my face and name. Distancing helps.
    I get this too. My mom likes to point out little flaws in the way I look. It opens the floodgates of self-consciousness, whether that's rational or not. I've had to set some serious boundaries that she usually crosses anyway. It helps me to reflect on the bigger picture, her being a mother trying to enhance the life of her offspring due to genetic programming and years of evolution. I did this yesterday and I was relieved, although that technique works for almost all uncomfortable feelings if you can find the connection.

If the critique makes sense, I take the feedback. If it does not fit into my life, I don't, afterall, they cannot live for me. But I remember what set of behaviour they like to see, and if I have to work with them next time, I behave accordingly. But I'm wary of overly critical people - sometimes they are brutally honest because they enjoy the brutality vs the honesty.
    Definitely. My mom (therapist) has said over and over that bluntness can be a form of sadism.

Question, if you could trade your fear for another, which would that be, and why.
    Fear of social rejection (dropped) for a fear of... hmmm... what kinda fear would I like to add to my impressive repertoire... lol... how about a fear of bananas?

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    no clue- maybe it was functional since I was a farmer's kid and it got me out of some work- I seriously panic if I come into contact with plants with large leaves though
    Maybe it's a form of claustrophobia.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    To no longer be afraid of physical torture. Maybe if I wasn't in dread of it, it wouldn't have such a hold on me. Screw it. Never mind. I'll pick something tame... ok. I hate elevators. There's nothing natural about being sealed in a metal box with a bunch of strangers and sent up or down a shaft. I hate spiders too.
    I can see your thought process! Thanks, that was cool... and admirable.