User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Where do you locate your seat of consciousness within your body?

I've always located it somewhere between my eyes, or even somewhere detached behind my head. How about you?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

This is what I always thought but I never really bothered checking up on it, since it seems of no importance, at least not through my reasoning.

I believe the so called seat of consciousness is your inner ears, or between the ears.

Wherever you hear from, that part of the brain, is the 'seat of consciousness'.

Consciousness is nothing more than imagined senses. And the one for thought, is the sense of hearing. Thus, it is imagined from the center of where we hear things.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Phantonym

The "seat of consciousness" has always been interesting to me because I can definitely "feel" it at the back of my head, in the center, just above the neckline. That is where I feel everything comes from.

The brain is the center, obviously. Eyes, ears, nose...that's how you are aware of what is surrounding you, that's how you define what you perceive. Hmmm...but who knows what is out there...maybe somebody can locate it in their pinky toe. Some people can "taste" with their feet...so why not become conscious of the taste like that.

Edit: Haha. Ok. That's the medulla oblongata that deals with autonomic functions - breathing, heart rate and blood pressure. So, I would assume that at the moment I believe/imagine I am "deeply conscious", that's my heart rate and blood pressure going up. That's completely automatic, I wouldn't notice it at other times when I'm distracted by something and not particularly aware of it happening.

But who knows really...
    Last edited by Phantonym; 04-07-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added info

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Feels like something like this atm

MBTI
    ISFJ

My left foot.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think it's natural for people to place it in their head... because that is where we see, hear, taste, and smell things.
    Only touch occurs all over the body.

IOW, every tracking mechanism we have is in our head; it's like that's the window we look out on the world from.
    If our perceptions were more dispersed, maybe we'd have a less uniform answer.

Then again, some other cultures have placed the soul in other body parts besides the head or the heart, so...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    IOW, every tracking mechanism we have is in our head; it's like that's the window we look out on the world from.

Well put.

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Often between the ears.

Sometimes between the legs.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by StrappingYoungLad View Post
    Often between the ears.

Sometimes between the legs.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think it's natural for people to place it in their head... because that is where we see, hear, taste, and smell things.
    Only touch occurs all over the body.

Then again, some other cultures have placed the soul in other body parts besides the head or the heart, so...
    From some of the literature I've been reading, the most common human experience is for the "heart" (actually, a ring of ganglia in the center of the chest) to be the subjectively perceived seat of one's consciousness, with the perceiving organs of the head understood as an extension of this. I find that interesting, because it would make sense outside of understanding the brain to be the center of cognition.

In fact, it sort of illustrates how random and accidental evolution can be - why would the brain, one of the more immediately vital organs in the body, be placed in such a relatively exposed and vulnerable position? Wouldn't it make more sense to be in a safer and more protected area?