User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Ginkgo

Imagine your mind consists of everything blue that is our planet. (No testicle puns please)

The air is above the sea; and as such it dominates and extends itself. The air is your first four functions. Below that, the depths of the sea swirl in currents, violently, placidly. The sea is your shadow functions.

But just because your first functions are more prevalent doesn't mean that your shadow functions are expunged at any given time. They are both there in circumspect at all times.

Just because some synapses fire most frequently doesn't mean that the others cease all together.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    Imagine your mind consists of everything blue that is our planet. (No testicle puns please)

The air is above the sea; and as such it dominates and extends itself. The air is your first four functions. Below that, the depths of the sea swirl in currents, violently, placidly. The sea is your shadow functions.

But just because your first functions are more prevalent doesn't mean that your shadow functions are expunged at any given time. They are both there in circumspect at all times.

Just because some synapses fire most frequently doesn't mean that the others cease all together.
    imho, yes it does. Fi and Ti directly contradict each other's standards for decision-making. Preferring one of them means that you'll have to temporarily block out the preferred one in order to listen to the non-preferred one.

The same relationship applies to each other pair. This does happen, but not as often as many people think.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I'm going more with the latter definition here. Archetypes do tend to lead to certain ways of conceptualizing ourselves and our relationships to the outer world, and the best way to navigate life and various situations. This would qualify as "a collection of beliefs."
    Right, but no 2 people of the same archetype have the same worldview, and 2 people of entirely different archetypes may have a more similar world view than those of parallel archetypes. So archetypes and worldviews are not the same thing. They just influence each other by an immeasurable degree.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Right, but no 2 people of the same archetype have the same worldview, and 2 people of entirely different archetypes may have a more similar world view than those of parallel archetypes. So archetypes and worldviews are not the same thing. They just influence each other by an immeasurable degree.
    Obviously no two people will ever have exactly the same worldview on everything; "worldview" in this case simply describes similarities in cognitive orientation. Two people of the same type will, however, have the same worldview on certain forms of cognitive orientation, and thus share a set of implicit beliefs.

The same cognitive orientation can lead to lots of different opinions on lots of issues, and very different lifestyles, but their worldviews will still share certain similarities in terms of the way they orient themselves and their relationships to the outer world.

If all you intend to do here is debate the use of the term "worldview", then I concede as I'm not very interested in doing that.

Ginkgo

If all you intend to do here is debate the use of the term "worldview", then I concede as I'm not very interested in doing that.
    Just clarifying

I noticed a vernacular disconnect between you and Jaguar, and that's why you were unable to connect world-view with pizza and tampons.

I have a hard time communicating with you because any time I try to just speak frankly and openly with you, you presume I'm somehow trying to cheat or mislead you.
    Shall I lie? It's not my style. I think your comments are full of shit.
    So be it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Just clarifying

I noticed a vernacular disconnect between you and Jaguar, and that's why you were unable to connect world-view with pizza and tampons.
    I think, as demonstrated by the dictionary quote provided, you've assumed a certain definition of the term "worldview" which is not the only possible meaning for it. Note that it can simply mean, "A collection of beliefs shared by a group."

So, Fi doms share the worldview that personal values and feelings are the most important priority in most situations.

Pointing out that no two people will ever have precisely the same perspective seems quite beside the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Shall I lie? It's not my style. I think your comments are full of shit.
    So be it.
    So when you've shown one of my positions to be incorrect, how do you propose I respond? If I continue insisting that my incorrect position is correct, I'm an idiot, but if I concede that I was incorrect and revise my position, I'm "full of shit."

What option am I left with? This goes back to your insistence on defining my positions for me. When you refuse to believe someone's descriptions of his own beliefs, the whole communication process breaks down. I don't have any idea how to respond to that.

Ginkgo

I think, as demonstrated by the dictionary quote provided, you've assumed a certain definition of the term "worldview" which is not the only possible meaning for it. Note that it can simply mean, "A collection of beliefs shared by a group."

Pointing out that no two people will ever have precisely the same perspective seems quite beside the point.
    I know, there are several meanings for it. That's why I wanted you to expound upon which one you were using so that perhaps Jaguar could understand on your frequency. Thank you for doing that.

Now, as it stands, your cognitive orientation influences the way you process information - inside and out. Thus, it also influences the beliefs you adopt, your personal preferences, so on and so forth. To what degree - we don't know. It works en tandem with your environment and other factors that are involved. And because no two fish are identical, no two worldviews are identical.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I know, there are several meanings for it. That's why I wanted you to expound upon which one you were using so that perhaps Jaguar could understand on your frequency. Thank you for doing that.

Now, as it stands, your cognitive orientation influences the way you process information - inside and out. Thus, it also influences the beliefs you adopt, your personal preferences, so on and so forth. To what degree - we don't know. It works en tandem with your environment and other factors that are involved. And because no two fish are identical, no two worldviews are identical.
    "Worldview" doesn't have to describe your entire belief system about everything. It can, in some contexts, describe only a particular subset of beliefs within that overall view.

When we use "worldview" to mean "the entire sum total of a person's beliefs about everything", then yes, you're correct that no two are the same.

However, when we use "worldview" to mean "a collection of beliefs held by an individual or group", it's quite common for different people to share the same one.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

imho, yes it does. Fi and Ti directly contradict each other's standards for decision-making. Preferring one of them means that you'll have to temporarily block out the preferred one in order to listen to the non-preferred one.

The same relationship applies to each other pair. This does happen, but not as often as many people think.
    Getting in on the fun here, although I really don't have the time.

How can you support the bolded?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com