First 14222324

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    Success only hinges on the demands of the environment. Because environments shift, and people acclimate themselves to better suite them, there is no universally ideal archetype or function order. That's like saying that humans are more evolved that brine shrimp. They're not. Swap them with each other's environment and they both die.
    In human society, being able to balance interval vs. external validation and information-gathering vs. decision-making is clearly most advantageous.

There may exist occasional circumstances where this is not the case, but for all intents and purposes it's virtually always true.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    In human society, being able to balance interval vs. external validation and information-gathering vs. decision-making is clearly most advantageous.

There may exist occasional circumstances where this is not the case, but for all intents and purposes it's virtually always true.
    A species needs its individuals to exhibit varied traits, in order to stay viable and to adapt. Thus, one could view every manifestation of humanhood as advantageous in a general sense.

I am disappointed that your comprehension of my ideas has been weak enough to miss this point.
    One could even view a tendency to assume that a communication partner exhibited weak comprehension, when any problem could just as likely have been caused by a writer not communicating effectively, as advantageous in a general sense. Although, for the life of me, I can't think why that would be advantageous in a specific sense.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by LeafAndSky View Post
    A species needs its individuals to exhibit varied traits, in order to stay viable and to adapt. Thus, one could view every manifestation of humanhood as advantageous in a general sense.
    You're awfully Ni-oriented for an ISFP, aren't you? Are you the Fi+Ni kind?

Anyway, though that's not what I meant, it's a pretty clever sidestep. I think we both know I'm talking about greater overall ability to deal with others and live life happily when I say balancing the functions is "advantageous"--I mean directly advantageous to every individual human, not just advantageous to the species' overall survival at the cost of personal disadvantage, as you've implied.

Quote Originally Posted by LeafAndSky View Post
    One could even view a tendency to assume that a communication partner exhibited weak comprehension, when any problem could just as likely have been caused by a writer not communicating effectively, as advantageous in a general sense. Although, for the life of me, I can't think why that would be advantageous in a specific sense.
    As fun as toying with different meanings of the word "advantageous" when taken out of context is, I have to ask--do you have a point?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ISFP

You're awfully Ni-oriented for an ISFP, aren't you? Are you the Fi+Ni kind?
    Thank you for the wubbie. But I don't know what Ni or Fi mean. Lots of things interest me, but not those. It's been enough for me to see the differences in people so nicely supported and accepted through a system. I like that. Tolerance.

I tested INTJ in a college psychology class and ENFP in a career development class decades later. Descriptions of ISFPs sound like me. I'll just go with that.

Anyway, though that's not what I meant, it's a pretty clever sidestep. I think we both know I'm talking about greater overall ability to deal with others and live life happily when I say balancing the functions is "advantageous"--I mean directly advantageous to every individual human, not just advantageous to the species' overall survival at the cost of personal disadvantage, as you've implied.
    "pretty clever sidestep" = play. And = an appreciation for how big-picture thinking (for instance, species-thinking coming before individual-thinking) actually changes quality of life.

As fun as toying with different meanings of the word "advantageous" when taken out of context is, I have to ask--do you have a point?
    Mostly just play. Although, a case could be made for my being irritated with what appear to me to be put-downs, or at least some level of default dismissiveness, in your posts to others, causing me to post. However, that's my problem, not yours. And my irritation probably just means that I do the same thing in some way. I'll just have to figure out how, and fix it. So, thank you.

Carry on! If I occasionally post in this thread, it's just because, well, I started the darn thing and I'm still subscribed.