User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    epic

Default psychoanalyzing everyone

haphazard? is it a waste of time?

Phantonym

I don't think it's really a waste of time. It can be helpful, fascinating or amusing, trying to gain some insight to people's minds and into your own mind. Placing the pieces of the puzzle around and finding some use in that. It's a wonderful feeling when things seem to click.

But I think that it can also be dangerous in a way that all the things you come up with are really the result of your imagination going wild, even though there might be substantial evidence to base your assumptions on. You can be so wrong and lead yourself into more trouble than it's worth. And practicing your "skills" on other people, well, soon enough you might not have any close connections left to psychoanalyze.

So, it's like with everything else, do it in moderation but don't get too caught up in it, you might miss some imporatant things outside of that analysis mode and that would be a shame.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I see it as a pathway to self-discovery.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I want to be psychoanalyzed!!!
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kat View Post
    I want to be psychoanalyzed!!!
    Yup. I wouldn't mind being psychoanalyzed either.

if analysis leads to better listening, then maybe it's ok. it's generally not a good thing though if, like.... they don't even talk to you, but analyze from a distance.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I find that even if I don't come up with accurate answers about myself or others, I still benefit from trying to understand. MBTI is just theory and isn't always accurate but it at least leads to to ask some very honest questions about myself and others that I otherwise wouldn't have even thought of. Gaining insight doesn't always mean that you are getting all the right answers, it means that you are at least asking the right questions. The answers come with time. In fact, if you think you have yourself and everyone you know pegged down psycologically, then it's a sure sign that you don't. I would say, don't obsess over finding the right answers about who you and those around you truly are, just be open to the insights as they come.

To be psychoanalysed, all you need is a psychoanalyst.

Psychoanalysts don't necessarily listen either.

I was in rehab (drugs) once, and the first day I met a psychologist, he started.... well if i had to guess, he started "baby talking" me, and asking how much i masturbate. lol.. i swear. maybe it was because i looked young at the time, and had a bag of gummi bears on my night stand. who knows.. he might have had more problems than me. or maybe it was some radical new approach. i kicked him out, and put my foot down about talking to anyone for the rest of my stay. he never asked a thing.. and made some weird ass leap like that. for some reason.

not sure what my point is other than that professional psychoanalysis can be extremely useless as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Psychoanalysts don't necessarily listen either.

I was in rehab (drugs) once, and the first day I met a psychologist...
    A psychoanalyst must first obtain a medical degree, then they are psychoanalysed themselves, then they practise psychoanalysis under supervision until they graduate.

A psychologist has no medical degree, has not been psychoanalysed, and has not been trained in psychoanalysis.