User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    epyT
    Enneagram

Default My Cure for Depression

...if you will.

I'm going to throw this out there now and let people kind of mull over it as they see fit. I'll probably add more later but for now I'll just put this up.

In order of importance...

1. Consistent 7-8 hours of sleep with consistent sleep schedule. What I usually do is a 12-7:30 type of schedule with minor descrepencies* depending on how early or late I have to wake up the next morning.

2. Exercise. I'm not talking walking for twenty minutes every day from point A to point B, but legitimate exercise to the point of exhaustion. The best part about this aspect, probably my favorite, is the variability of the options that you can use to fulfill this. You can lift weights, go for a jog, go for a bike ride, play basketball, ultimate, etc. It's not always limited to one thing, and it's generally advised to change it up so you don't become accustomed to doing the same thing.

3. The easiest one of the three, even thought it may cost you a few dollars, is an Omega 3 + 6 fish oil supplement...it kind of ties the other two together into a calm and relaxed package. Good for the heart too, so that's a plus.

But yeah, that's what I have found that seems to work very well for me, but you definately have to do it on a consistent basis to really get everything you can out of it.

Thoughts and opinions are definately encouraged!
    Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

5000-10000 IU/day of Vitamin D3 in gelcap (not tablet) form...

OR

exposure to intense sunlight while mostly naked for 15-30 mins/day...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Typology View Post
    3. The easiest one of the three, even thought it may cost you a few dollars, is an Omega 3 + 6 fish oil supplement...it kind of ties the other two together into a calm and relaxed package. Good for the heart too, so that's a plus.
    Hemp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Purified fish oil is far better, and krill oil may be better still.

MBTI
    ISFJ

This is a solid method for sure. It really does work. I've done all of those and in just one week one feels a whole lot better.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I have very irregular sleeping patterns and lots of lack of sleep, I don't really exercise. And I don't pay attention to my diet either. Yet I'm not depressed.

Just saying, if these changes could battle depression, why am I not depressed? I think there's much more to depression, and although these methods may lighten or remove most of them, there is clearly more to it than that. Unless I'm just incapable of being depressed for some reason. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    Purified fish oil is far better, and krill oil may be better still.
    are you 100% sure that you know whats your talking about?

little that i know about this, it seems that hemp oil is better than fish oil

Hemp Oil

Inferiority of Fish Oils

This was pretty interesting:
    Because our brains are made of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids, many assume that the only way you should obtain these is by eating such things as fish, which have the long-chain fats. Such plant sources as hemp seed oil, coconut oil, and flax seed oil are made up mainly of medium-chain fats, which non-vegetarians quickly point out. However, when long-chain fatty acids are eaten, they must be emulsified by bile salts in the small intestine before they can be absorbed into the body. Short- and medium-chain fatty acids are absorbed directly through the portal vein to the liver, where they are immediately available to the body.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I have very irregular sleeping patterns and lots of lack of sleep, I don't really exercise. And I don't pay attention to my diet either. Yet I'm not depressed.

Just saying, if these changes could battle depression, why am I not depressed? I think there's much more to depression, and although these methods may lighten or remove most of them, there is clearly more to it than that. Unless I'm just incapable of being depressed for some reason. :P

Your logic is very flawed for an INTP. A -> B is not the same as A <-> B.

Otherwise people who didn't do all three would be depressed, yes, which everyone knows is NOT the case :P It's simply a matter of the body responding to this sort of stimuli positively when one IS depressed.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Typology View Post
    But yeah, that's what I have found that seems to work very well for me, but you definately have to do it on a consistent basis to really get everything you can out of it.
    Yes, I agree with this. It's working for me as well, not exactly as a "cure" but they do help in some ways, so I can vouch for it. Consistency is the key. Reviewing one's diet in general might be a good idea as well. I've gotten good results from it. Keep up the good work!

Yes, of course there's much more to depression, you know better than that. And there are many different variations and levels of depression. This method isn't really the "cure" for depression as the issues causing the depression are not addressed. The OP wasn't exactly particular about whether this is the only thing they're doing or is it something that is done in support of some other methods. But it might help to maintain some kind of positive balance for people who really are depressed when it's done in support of other methods as well.

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

You might have DSPS (Delayed Sleep Pattern Syndrome).
    Check this site, the software for sleep charting is pretty awesome.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined