• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Cure for Depression

Fecal McAngry

I have very irregular sleeping patterns and lots of lack of sleep, I don't really exercise. And I don't pay attention to my diet either. Yet I'm not depressed.

Just saying, if these changes could battle depression, why am I not depressed? I think there's much more to depression, and although these methods may lighten or remove most of them, there is clearly more to it than that. Unless I'm just incapable of being depressed for some reason. :p
I don't think anyone disputes your last point. There are, for example, obese people who "do everything right" and there are guys walking around with 6% bodyfat who eat junk food all the time whenever they wish, never exercise, drink as much beer and Mountain Dew as the wish, etc.

Obviously, you might very well feel better if you attempted to get more sleep, for example. And things you seemingly can "get away with now" may be causing silent damage that may not show up for decades...

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Trinity: hemp oil is a really good non-animal source of omegas. So is flaxseed oil.

Cool. Is it specifically Omega 3 + 6 that is good here? Can anyone tell me why?

Fecal McAngry said:
For what purpose, specifically?

I'm vegetarian and would prefer to avoid fish oil.

ElizaJane

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I don't think I was entirely clear about the intended meaning behind the title of the thread. When I say 'My Cure,' what I mean by that is that it has worked for me as of late. Of course there is no single cure for depression, as every case has it's own individual factors that can cause various forms of depression. I put this thread out there to bounce this idea off of everybody, and maybe give other people another option to try or add to their lifestyle and see how it works for them.

I totally get where you were going with the thread. I follow all three of your steps for the same reason. Things seem to hang in a more delicate balance than when I was young! When #1 or #2 get out of whack, I start slipping into a funk, which can lead to a more intense "down" period. I haven't noticed any patterns with the fish oil, but I take it anyway.

I also just started taking Maca root, which is considered an endocrine stabilizer. It's supposed to help with energy levels and fertility, and some people take it for depression. I've been on it for a few weeks and I feel great!

I wish people would take your thread as you intended it — as a springboard for discussing lifestyle habits that can improve how you feel or help you maintain a good overall balance. Instead, people love to argue over semantics.

Thanks for the post.

Mole

Permabanned
It doesn't seem to matter 'why' someone is depressed. Whilest to me, the 'why' seems to be the single most important factor in battling the depression.

Imagine you are a woman living in the brothel-without-walls based on misogyny and money.

It would be no surprise to find you are depressed.

And that is just what we do find - it is women who are predominantly depressed.

Fecal McAngry

Cool. Is it specifically Omega 3 + 6 that is good here? Can anyone tell me why?

I'm vegetarian and would prefer to avoid fish oil.

I understand. I was wondering what problem(s) you were trying to treat.

For example, I know sesamin is a very strong anti-inflammatory and has positive effects on body composition. But I have no idea if it has the same positive effects on mood and on cardiovascular health that fish oil does.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Moving my body helps my depression. Organized exercise is also beneficial to me. Sleep has always been a chaotic experience and not a variable. Friendship and companionship can help. Feeling in the groove of the times helps also.

Fecal McAngry

Moving my body helps my depression. Organized exercise is also beneficial to me. Sleep has always been a chaotic experience and not a variable. Friendship and companionship can help. Feeling in the groove of the times helps also.

Have you ever tried to make sleep less chaotic?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I understand. I was wondering problem(s) you were trying to treat.

For example, I know sesamin is a very strong anti-inflammatory and has positive effects on body composition. But I have no idea if it has the same positive effects on mood and on cardiovascular health that fish oil does.

Ahh, not sure really, just bouncing off the OP that suggested fish oil was good for his depression. As I haven't looked into fish oil in much depth before I don't understand what that does to know if it would even be relevant. Just checking out anything that's linked in.

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram
Ahh, not sure really, just bouncing off the OP that suggested fish oil was good for his depression. As I haven't looked into fish oil in much depth before I don't understand what that does to know if it would even be relevant. Just checking out anything that's linked in.

BBC - Science & Nature - Human Body and Mind - The Omega Wave

This is a good article about the effects of Omega 3 + 6s. I'm not even going to pretend to be an expert on any of this, these are simply the best results I've gotten over the years.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Have you ever tried to make sleep less chaotic?

yes, but my mind is active during sleep and even when i fall asleep i dream and in the habit of pondering over the material. I've contained my sleep periods over the years to at least encompass the darkest hours of the day, which is an improvement.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The conversion rate for short chains into more effective long chains is variable and low; taking long chains directly is far more effective for body comp, mood and to control inflammation.

did you even read this or those links?

However, when long-chain fatty acids are eaten, they must be emulsified by bile salts in the small intestine before they can be absorbed into the body. Short- and medium-chain fatty acids are absorbed directly through the portal vein to the liver, where they are immediately available to the body.

this means that long-chain can not be used directly, they need to go all the way down to small intestine where they are emulsified by bile salts. body is able to use short- and medium-chain fatty acids more directly.

comparing long-chain to short- & medium-chain fatty acids is same as comparing any kind of unsaturated and saturated fatty acids afaik. fats from plants are healthier than animal fats because they have more unsaturated fats(short- & medium-chain fats) and they can be used by human body better. saturated fats are already "used" and need to be broken down by bile salts before they can be used again, not to mention that these saturated(long-chain fatty acids) have cholesterol attached to them that are blocking veins.

perfect ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 for human body is 3:1

Food Omega-3 (grams per100g) Omega-6 (grams per 100g)
Flax 20.3 4.9
Hemp seeds 7.0 21.0
Pumpkin seeds 3.2 23.4
Salmon 3.2 0.7
Walnuts 3.0 30.6
Rape seed 2.1 9.0
Herring 2.0 0.4
Soybeans 1.2 8.6
Butter 1.2 1.8
Olive oil 0.6 7.9
Wheat germ 0.5 5.5
Sunflower seeds 0 30.7
Almond 0 9.2
Olives 0 1.6

at least salmon seems to have pretty crappy ratio of omega-6 and omega-3

please explain why you say that fish oil is better for omega-3 and omega-6 than hemp oil?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
So is flaxseed oil.

not really if you examine it bit closer, it has 1:4 ratio of omega-6 and omega-3 and 3:1 is perfect, thats way off.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
the man gets depressed easily. usually it's sleep and/or exercise related. too little, or too much. balance is key in his well-being. good list! i know vitamine D is helpful, too.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes to Vitamine D, Zinc and such, Iodine and Magnesium is highly recommended too.