User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I have very irregular sleeping patterns and lots of lack of sleep, I don't really exercise. And I don't pay attention to my diet either. Yet I'm not depressed.

Just saying, if these changes could battle depression, why am I not depressed? I think there's much more to depression, and although these methods may lighten or remove most of them, there is clearly more to it than that. Unless I'm just incapable of being depressed for some reason. :P
    I don't think anyone disputes your last point. There are, for example, obese people who "do everything right" and there are guys walking around with 6% bodyfat who eat junk food all the time whenever they wish, never exercise, drink as much beer and Mountain Dew as the wish, etc.

Obviously, you might very well feel better if you attempted to get more sleep, for example. And things you seemingly can "get away with now" may be causing silent damage that may not show up for decades...

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Any recommended alternatives for fish oil?
    For what purpose, specifically?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Trinity: hemp oil is a really good non-animal source of omegas. So is flaxseed oil.
    Cool. Is it specifically Omega 3 + 6 that is good here? Can anyone tell me why?

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry
    For what purpose, specifically?
    I'm vegetarian and would prefer to avoid fish oil.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Typology View Post
    I don't think I was entirely clear about the intended meaning behind the title of the thread. When I say 'My Cure,' what I mean by that is that it has worked for me as of late. Of course there is no single cure for depression, as every case has it's own individual factors that can cause various forms of depression. I put this thread out there to bounce this idea off of everybody, and maybe give other people another option to try or add to their lifestyle and see how it works for them.
    I totally get where you were going with the thread. I follow all three of your steps for the same reason. Things seem to hang in a more delicate balance than when I was young! When #1 or #2 get out of whack, I start slipping into a funk, which can lead to a more intense "down" period. I haven't noticed any patterns with the fish oil, but I take it anyway.

I also just started taking Maca root, which is considered an endocrine stabilizer. It's supposed to help with energy levels and fertility, and some people take it for depression. I've been on it for a few weeks and I feel great!

I wish people would take your thread as you intended it as a springboard for discussing lifestyle habits that can improve how you feel or help you maintain a good overall balance. Instead, people love to argue over semantics.

Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    It doesn't seem to matter 'why' someone is depressed. Whilest to me, the 'why' seems to be the single most important factor in battling the depression.
    Imagine you are a woman living in the brothel-without-walls based on misogyny and money.

It would be no surprise to find you are depressed.

And that is just what we do find - it is women who are predominantly depressed.

Cool. Is it specifically Omega 3 + 6 that is good here? Can anyone tell me why?

I'm vegetarian and would prefer to avoid fish oil.
    I understand. I was wondering what problem(s) you were trying to treat.

For example, I know sesamin is a very strong anti-inflammatory and has positive effects on body composition. But I have no idea if it has the same positive effects on mood and on cardiovascular health that fish oil does.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Moving my body helps my depression. Organized exercise is also beneficial to me. Sleep has always been a chaotic experience and not a variable. Friendship and companionship can help. Feeling in the groove of the times helps also.

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    Moving my body helps my depression. Organized exercise is also beneficial to me. Sleep has always been a chaotic experience and not a variable. Friendship and companionship can help. Feeling in the groove of the times helps also.
    Have you ever tried to make sleep less chaotic?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    I understand. I was wondering problem(s) you were trying to treat.

For example, I know sesamin is a very strong anti-inflammatory and has positive effects on body composition. But I have no idea if it has the same positive effects on mood and on cardiovascular health that fish oil does.
    Ahh, not sure really, just bouncing off the OP that suggested fish oil was good for his depression. As I haven't looked into fish oil in much depth before I don't understand what that does to know if it would even be relevant. Just checking out anything that's linked in.

MBTI
    epyT
    Enneagram

Ahh, not sure really, just bouncing off the OP that suggested fish oil was good for his depression. As I haven't looked into fish oil in much depth before I don't understand what that does to know if it would even be relevant. Just checking out anything that's linked in.
    BBC - Science & Nature - Human Body and Mind - The Omega Wave

This is a good article about the effects of Omega 3 + 6s. I'm not even going to pretend to be an expert on any of this, these are simply the best results I've gotten over the years.
    Only after disaster can we be resurrected.