• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Freud

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
In my introduction to Psychology class we have been talking about Freud a lot, particularly the psychosexual development theory.

What are your thoughts on Freud's various theories?

I found a lot of his stuff to be really bizarre and pretty bogus. Its just so strange, and it doesn't really seem to fit any of the psychology theories I've heard of that I like (such as MBTI, although it doesn't relate to it much, other than somethings like "anal" personalities and lazy personalities could be more likely in some types). I think Erikson's theory of development is way better, and that sexuality develops in ways other than what Freud seemed to think (i.e. no six year olds wanting to bang their mom).

The Id, Ego, and Superego isn't bad, but it doesn't seem to capture everything either, and it seems to have some things misplaced/misunderstood, but I can't remember what at the moment, I'll get back to that.

Is it true that he was an awful psychiatrist? I heard that he would tell people they were raped/molested/beaten and that it was a repressed memory even if that wasn't the case.

Is it true that Freud has been widely debunked/discredited in modern psychology?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Freud was a whacko.
He spoke with authority, and as such, was taken as one.
Most of his ideas were weird, problematic, and completely unbacked by research.

Yes, modern psychology basically considers him a relic, as they should.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
From what my professors have said, Freud based his studies mostly on his patients. So there was a huge bias. The Oedipus and Electra complexes came from these clients who had been sexually abused by their parents and Freud couldn't comprehend it, so he came up with those theories to explain why these people were so adamant this had happened.. they had fallen in love with their parents and were fantasizing it. Plus he was a crack addict.

Again, this is just what I've been told, I haven't done any research myself, so take it with a grain of salt.

But yeah.. very little of his theories hold any real water. Basically the only valid (but very important!) ones are the defense mechanisms and the idea of a subconscious.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I like Erikson's theories too. Even if Freud's ideas were warped (although later revised by the Neo-Freudians), his insight and introspection (extrospection?) were outstanding. I like the way he thought of personality (id/ego/superego). Even though I don't fully support the model, the concept of the Id was a brilliant way to bridge the gap between human cognition and animal behavior. I've noticed that the best way to appreciate a psych theory is to see the world through the lens of the author. What do you think Freud saw? What about Erikson? B.F. Skinner? Maslow? It's a fun game to play. All those guys were mega-players.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Freud was much better at describing how his own mind worked than anything else. Since his mind was counter-Victorian, he stood out in his time as an icon of counterculture.

Plus, he was the first to popularize the idea that people might be motivated by sex more than religion or cultural acceptance.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From what my professors have said, Freud based his studies mostly on his patients. So there was a huge bias. The Oedipus and Electra complexes came from these clients who had been sexually abused by their parents and Freud couldn't comprehend it, so he came up with those theories to explain why these people were so adamant this had happened.. they had fallen in love with their parents and were fantasizing it. Plus he was a crack addict.

Again, this is just what I've been told, I haven't done any research myself, so take it with a grain of salt.

But yeah.. very little of his theories hold any real water. Basically the only valid (but very important!) ones are the defense mechanisms and the idea of a subconscious.

Freud actually started out in research -- he was dealing with hysteria patients in the asylums in 1890. So he actually was one of the first who was trying to draw connections between mental function and real-life data. Even if some of his theories describe his own internal thinking more than reality, he did a great deal to get psychology to move from complete fluff to be considered more "scientific" -- before then, almost anything was game (phrenology, etc.)

Freud also was really the first to rely get across the point how much of our behavior is unconscious and/or not derived from conscious thought, at least. His theory of stages might be too rigid, but they still did describe some patterns of behavior he observed. The Id, Ego, and SuperEgo thing is not a perfect theory, perhaps a bit simplistic, but it still has its uses.

One of Freud's greatest flaws was pride and/or the desire to be the authority. In all of his relationships, he liked to take the mentor position, whether when doing therapy or establish psychology as a credible field of pursuit. He was furious when Jung (and others of his "underlings") eventually disagreed with some of his theory and created their own, and he broke off relationships with them. (I think this reveals a terrible weakness/insecurity on his part.) He also broke the rules when he acted as the therapist for his own daughter Anna, which is essentially emotional incest. So he seemed to be a boundary violator, because of his own need to be in charge and in control of others in his relationships.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
In my introduction to Psychology class we have been talking about Freud a lot, particularly the psychosexual development theory.

What are your thoughts on Freud's various theories?

I found a lot of his stuff to be really bizarre and pretty bogus. Its just so strange, and it doesn't really seem to fit any of the psychology theories I've heard of that I like (such as MBTI, although it doesn't relate to it much, other than somethings like "anal" personalities and lazy personalities could be more likely in some types). I think Erikson's theory of development is way better, and that sexuality develops in ways other than what Freud seemed to think (i.e. no six year olds wanting to bang their mom).

The Id, Ego, and Superego isn't bad, but it doesn't seem to capture everything either, and it seems to have some things misplaced/misunderstood, but I can't remember what at the moment, I'll get back to that.

Is it true that he was an awful psychiatrist? I heard that he would tell people they were raped/molested/beaten and that it was a repressed memory even if that wasn't the case.

Is it true that Freud has been widely debunked/discredited in modern psychology?
What does the founder know.