User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Default Stereotypes: Based on fact or ignorance?

It's claimed by some that: "All stereotypes are based on some truths or facts".

Personally I think that's a load of crap as I believe there are stereotypes that are based on nothing but ignorance or lack of understanding, but what say yee? Do you believe that all stereotypes are an exaggeration of some truth? Support your stance if you can.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

stereotypes are an instrument of fear. Just enough truth to work, not enough truth to be fair.

If you sit down and get to know a person, can you still apply that stereotype? Probably not as your understanding of that person widens way beyond that stereotype. Ask a person what their hopes and drams are, does the stereotype dissolve?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Well, considering that it's a cold, hard fact that all black people eat chitlins and all Mexicans work construction, then I'd definitely say that at least some stereotypes are true...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

I don't believe in any purity, If that makes any sense. "based on some truths or facts"? the fact of opinion?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by durentu
    stereotypes are an instrument of fear. Just enough truth to work, not enough truth to be fair.

If you sit down and get to know a person, can you still apply that stereotype? Probably not as your understanding of that person widens way beyond that stereotype. Ask a person what their hopes and drams are, does the stereotype dissolve?
    Sure it's hard to apply a negative stereotype on a person that you get to know, especially if you like them.

But the question isn't are there people who don't fit a stereotype without invalidating the idea that there is some truth behind it ie "gay men are promiscuous", Bob is a gay man, Bob isn't promiscuous, George is also a gay man, George is a promiscuous manhoe. The stereotype in that case can fit your explanation of just enough truth to work and not enough truth to be fair, but what about all other stereotypes, do they all have truth behind it for it for all stereotypes to be considered based on some truth?

The claim I disagree with is "all stereotypes are based on some truth, or they wouldn't be stereotypes".

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Stereotypes are often distorted, but almost always based on real statistical rules. For example, if I say that Spaniards have dark hair it's false in the sense that not every single Spaniard has dark hair, but it is the general rule (less than 20% of Spaniards have fair hair), so statistically if you meet a Spaniard he's probably gonna have dark hair. Now, ideally one should judge people on their individual traits and merits, but if you don't know the people you're dealing with, statistical sorting tools are useful. For example, I'm not gonna venture into the Bronx alone and unarmed at midnight.

Stereotypes can go awry when the context is mangled, which often happens when one culture observes another. For example, Latin Americans shake hands any time they greet their friends, whereas North Americans shake hands during business meetings, or when they first meet. As a result, Latin Americans think North Americans are cold, and North Americans think Latin Americans are formal. The former stereotype has a grain of truth to it -- North America is a Germanic-dominated region after all -- but the latter does not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

We have to define what a Stereotype is. I believe it's suppose to be a neutral term. Is a split-second stereotype based on misunderstanding, a stereotype? "All stereotypes are based on some truths or facts". The problem is the "All". Stereotypes can be based on some truths or facts. But some can entirely be normal errors of understanding. for example, "Humans live forever" is a stereotype I developed when I was a kid. That's an error. But then the question is, does it count as a stereotype?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Both fact and ignorance. Ignoring some key parts of a fact usually.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

I don't think ISFP or ESFP stereotypes are exactly like anything I do at least. TBH,the stereotypes kinda screw with my head, and I can't even type myself because of them

A whole type couldn't be inclined to be wispy Peter Pan artistes, and a whole type couldn't be inclined to being an idiotic party animal. And besides that, just because you know some idiotic party animals, it doesn't mean they're ESFP either. I know some too, but when they're not partying, their personalities could be anything. Some may resemble ISFJ or ESTJ in their daily lives. Alcohol does funny things.

MBTI
    INKP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I would say no. Some stereotypes are, tis true, but the most harmful (i.e. the most stereotypical, pun intended maybe) are often based more on observation than fact, but that's already been said.

Hmm...what do...got it. The answer is still "no". The only thing limiting stereotype's adherence to fact is the creativity of the stereotyper, which, if I may be so bold, is often...lacking.
    "Quiiri ath metahn i'ashei?"
    Chronically Gephyrophobic