• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stereotypes: Based on fact or ignorance?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Right. The stereotype clearly doesn't describe all or even most Americans, so saying "Americans are stupid and boorish" is inaccurate, but it still had to come from somewhere.

But that "somewhere" won't necessarily be coming from "some truth". It's easy to be deceived. a 0% origin of truth is possible methinks.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But that "somewhere" won't necessarily be coming from "some truth". It's easy to be deceived. a 0% origin of truth is possible methinks.

You think 0% of Americans act stupid and boorish when visiting foreign countries?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You think 0% of Americans act stupid and boorish when visiting foreign countries?

that is only one stereotype out of many. This "from somewhere" could exist out of propaganda, and are propagandas "some truth"? It may be. Though I still think that there is a possible stereotype out there that can exist without absolutely no grain of truth. an example, I'm still thinking about it...

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What's an example of a stereotype that was true in literally 0% of cases?

Indeed, I'm still thinking about this possibility...

It would be easier if it were stereotype from an interesting group of indigenous people. A belief that could involve all foreigners having mystical powers. completely illogical so to speak. the "norm" here is a bit too flexible to measure in my opinion.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ehh, stereotyping is making a conclusion about a unit. Not about a part of that unit.

Americans act stupid and boorish when visiting foreign countries = Stereotype.

Some Americans act stupid and boorish when visiting foreign countries = Not a stereotype.

So it doesn't matter if there's a 0% truth stereotype. There may or may not be, the point is that stereotyping doesn't care about that stuff. :p

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The one I'm sure isn't true is that Germans have no sense of humour, they seem perfectly jolly to me. They really do claim sunbeds with their towels before the pool opens though. :D

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's an example of a stereotype that was true in literally 0% of cases?

Jews sacrifice virgins and drink their blood. A common stereotype in the 19th century based on literally no evidence.
There are countless others.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ even with that, the word "all" denies any truth.