First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    It could come from not understanding, if one person can look at another and misinterpret X to mean Y and create a basis to stereotype all people in that group of people, then why is it that a group of people couldn't do the same and therefore create a stereotype based on their perspective which is based on misunderstanding?
    Most stereotypes are based on clearly observable characteristics that can't easily be misinterpreted. In order for what you describe to happen, people from the demographic in question would have to give a false impression of the stereotyped characteristic often enough to generate a widespread stereotype about them, which seems unlikely.

If it's truly a mistaken perception on the part of observers, that mistake is unlikely to be widespread enough to generate a stereotype with absolutely no basis in reality.

There are probably exceptions to this, like the "blondes are stupid" thing, because intelligence obviously has no correlation with hair color. So, you have a point that this might happen sometimes, but most stereotypes are based on some small grain of truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    So stereotypes are based on a grain of truth and they're more likely to be true for people of that group than other groups? Sounds like they're based on more than just a "grain of truth" if they cover that group more than any other comparable group.
    Not really. Example: Males under 20 drive too fast. If you had to pick one demographic group that drives too fast more often than any other, it'd be males under 20, but it may not even be true for most males under 20.

But the fact that it's true for people from that demographic more often than it is for people from any comparable demographic means there's a grain of truth there. It's still only a grain because it's probably not true of a majority of people in that demographic--but enough people from that demographic do it to create the impression of a well-known stereotype.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Didn't read the whole topic.

Obviously, from a logical point of view, stereotypes don't 'exist'. I could argue that fact in a thousand different ways, but I'll try not to be a bigot..

So, when we look at it from another perspective, we know that it's a fact that what we see, we do. We are a 'herd animal' species. Nothing wrong with that, keeps things in check, sadly creates some pretty big rifts between different people, but on the other side, it gives people a place to belong.

It's not unthinkable that this is the source of stereotyping.

We adapt the use of stereotyping into our repertoire in order to choose and belong, and create an understanding that makes one group different from another. Actual fact isn't as important anymore. We just like to put people in a categories we want to attach ourselves to and categories we want to stay away from. Naturally, this process shouldn't be too time consuming, so we rush to our conclusions without much thought, and make our allegiances. For this reason, stereotyping isn't typically accurate. But it is effective.

So as a means of picking out your herd, you stereotype. I don't think anyone avoids this, and I don't think this method of stereotyping is inherently bad. It's flawed, but without it, the world would definatly be a lot more chaotic.

In that sense, stereotypes definatly exist and are of importance, as our own creations, for our own benefit.

Now people just need to develop some common sense...

Develop a common sense, take your stereotypes and add some solidarity to them. Presto! Suddenly, stereotyping isn't a bad thing. And all we need to do is mix some things up.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    But the fact that it's true for people from that demographic more often than it is for people from any comparable demographic means there's a grain of truth there.
    Where are the people who start and perpetuate this stereotype getting that fact from? Are there statistical research published somewhere that says "Males under 20 drive too fast compared to males of other ages"?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    Where are the people who start and perpetuate this stereotype getting that fact from? Are there statistical research published somewhere that says "Males under 20 drive too fast compared to males of other ages"?
    Yes, that's why auto insurance is the most expensive for this demographic.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Most stereotypes are based on clearly observable characteristics that can't easily be misinterpreted. In order for what you describe to happen, people from the demographic in question would have to give a false impression of the stereotyped characteristic often enough to generate a widespread stereotype about them, which seems unlikely.

If it's truly a mistaken perception on the part of observers, that mistake is unlikely to be widespread enough to generate a stereotype with absolutely no basis in reality.

There are probably exceptions to this, like the "blondes are stupid" thing, because intelligence obviously has no correlation with hair color. So, you have a point that this might happen sometimes, but most stereotypes are based on some small grain of truth.
    What about racial stereotypes? What about "blacks are stupid and subhuman and deserve to be slaves"? Grain of truth?
    "Jews are filthy, greedy and corrupt and deserve to be exterminated" Grain of truth?
    "Americans are fat, boorish, parochial and idiotic". Grain of truth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    What about racial stereotypes? What about "blacks are stupid and subhuman and deserve to be slaves"? Grain of truth?
    "Jews are filthy, greedy and corrupt and deserve to be exterminated" Grain of truth?
    "Americans are fat, boorish, parochial and idiotic". Grain of truth?
    Maybe its in the translation of where grain of truth can be lost

Perhaps because of social and economic issues blacks statistically have not received the same amount of formal as a group of as whites. Thus they were deemed less intelligent especially by racists who wanted any reason to call them names.

Perhaps because of culture and surviving adversity the Jewish people are better with finances and getting the most for their money than other cultures.

Who's parochial?!?:steam:
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Perhaps because of social and economic issues blacks statistically have not received the same amount of formal as a group of as whites. Thus they were deemed less intelligent especially by racists who wanted any reason to call them names.

Perhaps because of culture and surviving adversity the Jewish people are better with finances and getting the most for their money than other cultures.
    I find the lack of historical context here pretty shockingly ignorant.
    I'm talking about stereotypes *invented* to justify the enslavement of Africans and the extermination of the Jews.

Read some history, then tell me that stereotypes have a basis in truth.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Sure they are invented like everything else. Yet in order for inventions to have staying power the most inventions whould based on some distortion of a fact as opposed to some out of the blue fabrication. If you are saying that Hitler killed the Jews because he thought they were cheap, then I would say you are misinformed. See Making Sense of Jewish Stereotypes
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    If you are saying that Hitler killed the Jews because he thought they were cheap, then I would say you are misinformed. See Making Sense of Jewish Stereotypes
    Wut??
    That doesn't even come close to what I've said. Fuck. This is such a waste of time.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Ditto, now you know how it feels.