User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    SEXY

Default What mental condition are you?

I just had a look at Stephen Fry's (he's my hero) wiki page and it turns out he has cyclothymia, reading through the description I can definitely see that I have a mild form of most of the symptoms.

Though unlike Stephen Fry I would never end up in Belgium after a breakdown. It would make matters worse.

Learning more about this condition via a Stephen Fry documentary I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I do not suffer from this condition to any extent that is clinically recognized or remotely dangerous to my health, I just recognize a lot of the symptoms in myself.

So... ADD, Manic Depressive, Asperger, Down or something else entirely, which clinically recognized mental condition (not necessarily disease) applies most to you?

A thread about the general side of psychiatric diagnoses. Discussions about the subject go here.
    (removed)

Phantonym

Oh, Wikipedia is a marvel for all those hypochondriacs out there.

By the way, Down syndrome is genetic.

Sure, I can compile a list of "issues" of which some of the symptoms apply to me more or less. I don't have any kind of professional diagnosis.

AD; AvPD; BDD; BED. I could probably find some more. :rolli:

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Oh, Wikipedia is a marvel for all those hypochondriacs out there.

By the way, Down syndrome is genetic.

Sure, I can compile a list of "issues" of which some of the symptoms apply to me more or less. I don't have any kind of professional diagnosis.

AD; AvPD; BDD; BED. I could probably find some more. :rolli:
    You're right about the Down syndrome, I put it in as a joke, suggesting it to see if anybody would identify with it which would obviously be untrue. You kind of ruined it by immediately pointing out the flaw.

Apart from AvPD I don't know what you're talking about by the way.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INXP

Stephen Fry did an interesting pair of documentaries about living with bipolar disorder.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    You're right about the Down syndrome, I put it in as a joke, suggesting it to see if anybody would identify with it which would obviously be untrue. You kind of ruined it by immediately pointing out the flaw.
    You're welcome.

Apart from AvPD I don't know what you're talking about by the way.
    And that's exactly how I like it!

MBTI
    yupp

i don't get this board sometimes why would you want a mental illness? shrinks and drugs knowing you're different, sorry but its not that great I'd rather just be slightly weird
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    i don't get this board sometimes why would you want a mental illness? shrinks and drugs knowing you're different, sorry but its not that great I'd rather just be slightly weird
    Nobody wants it.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Nobody wants it.
    But people do immensely over-diagnose themselves in our culture today. Of course, I think that professionals do too.

My own stance is that if someone even breaks even on the possibility that they may or may not have a mental disorder, assume they don't have one. And that's without even getting into the question of whether or not some disorders have inherently illegitimate criteria.

I spent years reading material online, my own copy of the Merck Manual, and even seeing a psychologist for three of them. Only very recently did I find something that I felt could really be something I had. This is because I decided that if there was any hole in a diagnosis, I would throw it out.

When you follow that standard, you'll find that the number of people with disorders suddenly drops. As an actual policy, it poses problems because it may very well overlook people who do have a mental problem. But I decided it was best not to act like I had something unless it was beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

Cyclothymia.
    My father is bipolar, his father is cyclothymic and my grandfather's father was at least cyclothymic...
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But people do immensely over-diagnose themselves in our culture today. Of course, I think that professionals do too.

My own stance is that if someone even breaks even on the possibility that they may or may not have a mental disorder, assume they don't have one. And that's without even getting into the question of whether or not some disorders have inherently illegitimate criteria.
    Yes, I agree. Personally, I have no experience with medication and I might be wrong here but maybe people tend to turn to medication more than it is necessary as well. It seems like people are looking for easy fixes to cover up the real problems or they simply avoid dealing with things on a deeper level.

I think that there's still so much stigma and shame associated with mental disorders. It's easier to deny.