• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What mental condition are you?

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
I am bi-polar was on lithium but i stopped taking it. I can control my manic phase, but the depressive phase can still overwhelm me at times.

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
To any who have bipolar and don't mind sharing....I have a friend who is engaged to a man with bipolar. Any ideas for her? How can she best support him? He also has OCD. Thanks so much! :)

B

brainheart

Well, I've been diagnosed bipolar type II, which means I'm more often depressed than manic. I think it's kind of like cyclothymia. (Although I think it's more likely I'm bipolar I, mixed state, in all honesty.) Anyway, I would say: 1. find a drug that works for you (lamictal for me), and be committed to it. Also, find the best dose- least amount of side effects coupled with decent mood stability.

Your friend can best support him by acknowledging that it is something that is very real. I am not bipolar to get attention or because I feel sorry for myself. Believe me, it sucks. I do not want it. Some days, even with meds, he is not going to be great. She has to cut him slack in that respect. Also, she needs to realize that it isn't her fault and she needs to try and not take it personally- bipolar can have external triggers- extreme stress, dramatic lifestyle changes, not enough sleep, too much coffee/ alcohol, etc- but it can also just come out of nowhere. That doesn't mean she needs to tiptoe around him however. Meds do make a huge difference (if they are the right ones), and if you are well-educated on it, you can pay attention to your moods/ thoughts and know when things aren't quite right and know that you need to make concrete changes to improve things, which can be as minor as getting a good night's sleep and cutting down on the coffee.

If your friend hasn't already, I would recommend she read a couple of books on bipolar and OCD. I know there are books out there for loved ones which can be helpful.

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
Well, I'm bipolar type I, which means I'm more often depressed than manic. I think it's kind of like cyclothymia. Anyway, I would say: 1. find a drug that works for you (lamictal for me), and be committed to it. Also, find the best dose- least amount of side effects coupled with decent mood stability.

Your friend can best support him by acknowledging that it is something that is very real. I am not bipolar to get attention or because I feel sorry for myself. Believe me, it sucks. I do not want it. Some days, even with meds, he is not going to be great. She has to cut him slack in that respect. Also, she needs to realize that it isn't her fault and she needs to try and not take it personally- bipolar can have external triggers- extreme stress, dramatic lifestyle changes, not enough sleep, too much coffee/ alcohol, etc- but it can also just come out of nowhere. That doesn't mean she needs to tiptoe around him however. Meds do make a huge difference (if they are the right ones), and if you are well-educated on it, you can pay attention to your moods/ thoughts and know when things aren't quite right and know that you need to make concrete changes to improve things, which can be as minor as getting a good night's sleep and cutting down on the coffee.

If your friend hasn't already, I would recommend she read a couple of books on bipolar and OCD. I know there are books out there for loved ones which can be helpful.

Thanks brainheart! (Wizard of Oz btw?) I lent her bipolar for dummies. He's on like 6 or 7meds...though I don't know him very well so I don't know if it's helping him (I met him one afternoon only). Do you find sugar makes things worse for you? Do you have dietary recommendations (since you mentioned caffeine?) I've read that routine helps...is this true for you?

I deeply appreciate your response...I will pass on the info, thanks! :) luna~

B

brainheart

brainheart- actually like braveheart... I was in the midst of a t vs f existential crisis. Lack of sleep and too much caffeine is probably the worst for me, which is rough because I LOVE coffee and I am a total night owl. I'd say just try to eat healthfully- you know, vegetables, low sugar, protein...

Routine... yes, to an extent. Again, this is difficult because I am a super-perceiver. More than anything, I just don't try to push myself too hard. I make sure I take time to chill, go for a walk, veg, what have you. Going out is good and fun, but I have to balance it with rest time. I haven't had a job since my last major episode (pre meds) a few years ago, and I'll admit that that sort of responsibility frightens me, like I wouldn't be able to deal. I need to get over that, I suppose, but stress just... uh... I don't like what it does to me. :(

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
schizoaffective depressive type. basically its a combination of schizophrenia and major depressive disorder but it cycles so i'm either psychotic or depressed most of the time.

B

brainheart

schizoaffective depressive type. basically its a combination of schizophrenia and major depressive disorder but it cycles so i'm either psychotic or depressed most of the time.

So I'm curious, if you don't mind my asking, how the psychotic symptoms manifest themselves? I'm just trying to delineate the difference between it and bipolar. Thanks :)

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
I like your username :)

Thanks for the perspective! It sounds like you have a hard time of it...but I think you have a positive outlook on your situation! I think you have a lot to give...have you considered working part time online? There is a website called ButYouDontLookSick.com and they have some ideas for working when you're ill (for any type of chronic illness). Please tell me if I've stepped out of bounds...I wouldn't want to offend you! You just sound like such a nice soul... :) I hope that you are enjoying your day today! luna~

B

brainheart

uh, thanks, luna :)
Yeah, I'm not that bad... I probably made it sound worse than it is. That site needs a new name!

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
I'm sorry....it's me, really. I don't even know you and I'm trying to help you :p Thanks again for the info! :) I'm glad you don't need any help! :)

B

brainheart

Sure, no problem... Are you by chance an NFJ? The NFJs I know do stuff like this, so I'm curious...

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Severe OCD (not OCPD!), ADD, and probable (this last I never bothered to get professionally diagnosed) Aspergers Syndrome.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
I have no place to run :( I already live in Belgium.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
So I'm curious, if you don't mind my asking, how the psychotic symptoms manifest themselves? I'm just trying to delineate the difference between it and bipolar. Thanks :)
well it's not all the time, and mostly voices and seeing shit but i do have some processing problems because of it like auditory and visual but i don't know how to describe it exactly. and because I'm not bipolar i can't give a good comparison.theirs a few tactile hallucinations like feeling of bugs crawling on me or someone touching me if no ones around.

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
brainheart, thanks for replying :) I am pretty new to the forums and I posted in the "what's my type" section...I come up as INFJ or INFP. Interesting that you should ask! What did I do that was NFJ? Thanks for understanding...it really helps in your dealings with people to know about MBTI :) luna~

B

brainheart

well it's not all the time, and mostly voices and seeing shit but i do have some processing problems because of it like auditory and visual but i don't know how to describe it exactly. and because I'm not bipolar i can't give a good comparison.theirs a few tactile hallucinations like feeling of bugs crawling on me or someone touching me if no ones around.

Wow. That is interesting. So I guess your psychosis is primarily of a hallucinatory nature?

I guess the difference between bipolar and schizoaffective is that with bipolar you only have psychosis when you are manic or depressed, while if you're schizoaffective you experience it, I guess you could say, during the off season as well. (That's what I read, anyway.) Cause that's why I was curious, because I definitely exhibit all of that stuff, mainly during the mania- especially paranoia and delusions. But not at other times.

Sounds kinda wild.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah, pretty much but their's also periods where I'm perfectly fine aswell.