INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    i'm an enneagram 4w5

And I can laugh because I am one too.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

I am bi-polar was on lithium but i stopped taking it. I can control my manic phase, but the depressive phase can still overwhelm me at times.
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    ENF
    Enneagram
    6w5

To any who have bipolar and don't mind sharing....I have a friend who is engaged to a man with bipolar. Any ideas for her? How can she best support him? He also has OCD. Thanks so much!

brainheart

Well, I've been diagnosed bipolar type II, which means I'm more often depressed than manic. I think it's kind of like cyclothymia. (Although I think it's more likely I'm bipolar I, mixed state, in all honesty.) Anyway, I would say: 1. find a drug that works for you (lamictal for me), and be committed to it. Also, find the best dose- least amount of side effects coupled with decent mood stability.

Your friend can best support him by acknowledging that it is something that is very real. I am not bipolar to get attention or because I feel sorry for myself. Believe me, it sucks. I do not want it. Some days, even with meds, he is not going to be great. She has to cut him slack in that respect. Also, she needs to realize that it isn't her fault and she needs to try and not take it personally- bipolar can have external triggers- extreme stress, dramatic lifestyle changes, not enough sleep, too much coffee/ alcohol, etc- but it can also just come out of nowhere. That doesn't mean she needs to tiptoe around him however. Meds do make a huge difference (if they are the right ones), and if you are well-educated on it, you can pay attention to your moods/ thoughts and know when things aren't quite right and know that you need to make concrete changes to improve things, which can be as minor as getting a good night's sleep and cutting down on the coffee.

If your friend hasn't already, I would recommend she read a couple of books on bipolar and OCD. I know there are books out there for loved ones which can be helpful.

MBTI
    ENF
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Well, I'm bipolar type I, which means I'm more often depressed than manic. I think it's kind of like cyclothymia. Anyway, I would say: 1. find a drug that works for you (lamictal for me), and be committed to it. Also, find the best dose- least amount of side effects coupled with decent mood stability.

Your friend can best support him by acknowledging that it is something that is very real. I am not bipolar to get attention or because I feel sorry for myself. Believe me, it sucks. I do not want it. Some days, even with meds, he is not going to be great. She has to cut him slack in that respect. Also, she needs to realize that it isn't her fault and she needs to try and not take it personally- bipolar can have external triggers- extreme stress, dramatic lifestyle changes, not enough sleep, too much coffee/ alcohol, etc- but it can also just come out of nowhere. That doesn't mean she needs to tiptoe around him however. Meds do make a huge difference (if they are the right ones), and if you are well-educated on it, you can pay attention to your moods/ thoughts and know when things aren't quite right and know that you need to make concrete changes to improve things, which can be as minor as getting a good night's sleep and cutting down on the coffee.

If your friend hasn't already, I would recommend she read a couple of books on bipolar and OCD. I know there are books out there for loved ones which can be helpful.
    Thanks brainheart! (Wizard of Oz btw?) I lent her bipolar for dummies. He's on like 6 or 7meds...though I don't know him very well so I don't know if it's helping him (I met him one afternoon only). Do you find sugar makes things worse for you? Do you have dietary recommendations (since you mentioned caffeine?) I've read that routine helps...is this true for you?

I deeply appreciate your response...I will pass on the info, thanks! luna~

brainheart

brainheart- actually like braveheart... I was in the midst of a t vs f existential crisis. Lack of sleep and too much caffeine is probably the worst for me, which is rough because I LOVE coffee and I am a total night owl. I'd say just try to eat healthfully- you know, vegetables, low sugar, protein...

Routine... yes, to an extent. Again, this is difficult because I am a super-perceiver. More than anything, I just don't try to push myself too hard. I make sure I take time to chill, go for a walk, veg, what have you. Going out is good and fun, but I have to balance it with rest time. I haven't had a job since my last major episode (pre meds) a few years ago, and I'll admit that that sort of responsibility frightens me, like I wouldn't be able to deal. I need to get over that, I suppose, but stress just... uh... I don't like what it does to me.

MBTI
    yupp

schizoaffective depressive type. basically its a combination of schizophrenia and major depressive disorder but it cycles so i'm either psychotic or depressed most of the time.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    schizoaffective depressive type. basically its a combination of schizophrenia and major depressive disorder but it cycles so i'm either psychotic or depressed most of the time.
    So I'm curious, if you don't mind my asking, how the psychotic symptoms manifest themselves? I'm just trying to delineate the difference between it and bipolar. Thanks

MBTI
    ENF
    Enneagram
    6w5

I like your username

Thanks for the perspective! It sounds like you have a hard time of it...but I think you have a positive outlook on your situation! I think you have a lot to give...have you considered working part time online? There is a website called ButYouDontLookSick.com and they have some ideas for working when you're ill (for any type of chronic illness). Please tell me if I've stepped out of bounds...I wouldn't want to offend you! You just sound like such a nice soul... :-) I hope that you are enjoying your day today! luna~