• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What mental condition are you?

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
brainheart/prplchknz if I may ask, are there times then that you are "off bipolar/schizo?" Times that you are unaffected by the symptoms? Has there been any research done on this? It would seem to me that perhaps with research it could be determined what happens to the brain when bipolar/schizo is/is not occurring and potentially reach a cure (or at least more accurate stability) for people? That would be fantastic...! :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yup, at least for me. if you read up on schizoaffective you will learn alot of people have years where they're fine then BAM!!

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
prpl, why haven't the "docs" found ways to help you more? (I'm thinking aloud here...) :( Are mental illnesses still low on the list when it comes to getting funding?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!! :) luna~

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't know, why they haven't I'm not exactly totally helpless. and i was just diagonosed back in novemember.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
I have (inattentive) ADD, possibly linked to the anti-nausea medicine my mom took when preggers.

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
I'm not saying you're helpless :p (It just upsets me that the medical community doesn't do more! I have OCD/ADD/ADHD...and I have helped myself more than any doc has! I think those of us w/ mental illnesses are able to do a lot to help ourselves!) :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
sorry i just always think i'm suppose to have answers even when I do not.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Window shopping for mental illnesses... ain't that great :D

Ok well which do I potentially have... LOL... can I just ask where are people getting these disorders from.. like just googling.. cos I don't really wanna go with a boring one.. I was something that's kinda hard to pronounce and stuff...

On a more serious note.. (cos I do serious so well..) I have had a few episodes of something in my life.. I'm not sure what u would call it though.. maybe manic is something you could liken it to because of the highs and lows sometimes in the same few minutes.. Not sure will have to read up some more... For all those trying to help others with mental illness much love to you cos it's a hard journey to take. I supported someone who was suffering from paranioa and hallucinations and it was extremely challenging!

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
I'm sorry! Communicating online isn't always so clear...

To clarify (at least I will try), ;) I was simply thinking out loud. :) And feeling out loud as well *blushing*

I'm glad you don't have all the answers! :) ;) You would be very intimidating (and rather boring I would think) :) :)

P.S. Is there a significance to purple chickens? :)

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am schizoaffective Bipolar type. I have been diagnosed for a few years now.

B

brainheart

brainheart, thanks for replying :) I am pretty new to the forums and I posted in the "what's my type" section...I come up as INFJ or INFP. Interesting that you should ask! What did I do that was NFJ? Thanks for understanding...it really helps in your dealings with people to know about MBTI :) luna~

Hmm, the NFJs I've known are much warmer, make a point of reaching out. They're just natural counselors, ministers. It's all about the connection- like they're more concerned about others' feelings than their own- helping others. The NFPs I know, on the other hand (including myself), don't do that so readily (or naturally), especially with people they don't know. INFPs, anyway (it seems), are much more inclined to be inner focused- 'how does this affect me?' vs 'how does this affect others?' Just my perspective, so take it with a grain of salt.

As far as psychiatric advancements go, I think a lot has been done in all honesty- with pharmaceuticals, anyway. The big hurdle, my guess would be, is that it's all so subjective- psychiatrists/psychologists ask, and they are totally dependent on their observations and the patient's perspective, anecdotal evidence. And those of us who suffer from mental illness, often don't tell all, aren't quite sure what to say, don't necessarily have the best memory, can think there are problems when there aren't, can cover up things that are important, etc. There's a lot of, "well, let's try this and see if it works. Hmm, it doesn't? Well, guess you don't have that... maybe it's this?"

Also, as anyone knows, it's really easy to convince yourself that you fit all of the diagnostic criteria for a particular mental illness when your systems aren't severe enough to warrant a diagnosis. And then there are multiple symptoms which are exhibited in multiple syndromes/diseases. It's complicated stuff.

But I think that's the key- if your symptoms aren't screwing up your life, there is little reason for a diagnosis or to be treated. For example, I am a big-ass flake, I've been diagnosed with ADD, but my symptoms aren't that severe. I can rally to accomplish things, I did well in school, I can focus if I need to, etc. It's just personality/temperament more than anything. My bipolar on the other hand... led to major life fuck-ups and close to suicide. It's something that needs to be taken seriously.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Window shopping for mental illnesses... ain't that great :D

LOL! I wish I was window shopping, but I was daignosed back when I was 12 or so. I've given up on pinning down details of my adolescence; medication messed up the timeline in my head around then.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You're right about the Down syndrome, I put it in as a joke, suggesting it to see if anybody would identify with it which would obviously be untrue.

What do you mean here? That there is absolutely no chance of anyone of the forum having an extra 21 chromosome? Mental and physical functioning isn't always damaged that much.

Sometimes they are unable to deal with things on a deeper level until their brain chemistry is righted.

It's good that we have medications that work. People who take them are not necessarily short-cutting anything. Also, sometimes there really isn't an issue to work out. Sometimes it's just brain chemistry that needs tweaking.

Yeah, I think that the view of mental illnesses as purely chemical imbalance rather than there needing to be some personal issue needs to be taken seriously. This is about feeling sick, not about standard moodiness or odd behavior.

Oh, and I am not a mental condition. I am Luna. I probably don't know all the conditions I have so it is hard to choose just one.

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
Hmm, the NFJs I've known are much warmer, make a point of reaching out. They're just natural counselors, ministers. It's all about the connection- like they're more concerned about others' feelings than their own- helping others. The NFPs I know, on the other hand (including myself), don't do that so readily (or naturally), especially with people they don't know. INFPs, anyway (it seems), are much more inclined to be inner focused- 'how does this affect me?' vs 'how does this affect others?' Just my perspective, so take it with a grain of salt.

I totally missed this post! I am beginning to think I will simply never know my type :p I am definitely one to sacrifice for others...and I have always had friends come to me for advice (or bring their friends to me) :blush: But I feel like I am quite concerned about how things affect me as well and that I can be selfish...

As far as psychiatric advancements go, I think a lot has been done in all honesty- with pharmaceuticals, anyway. The big hurdle, my guess would be, is that it's all so subjective- psychiatrists/psychologists ask, and they are totally dependent on their observations and the patient's perspective, anecdotal evidence. And those of us who suffer from mental illness, often don't tell all, aren't quite sure what to say, don't necessarily have the best memory, can think there are problems when there aren't, can cover up things that are important, etc. There's a lot of, "well, let's try this and see if it works. Hmm, it doesn't? Well, guess you don't have that... maybe it's this?"

I was Dx as ADD in high school, then bipolar in my early 20's, now it's ADD/ADHD combo and mild OCD. (Which is finally right!) I think there is definitely some trial and error involved in making diagnoses...it's unfortunate though! The bipolar meds made me worse and i feel like I lost a couple of years of life. I was so sick from the meds...I'm glad that's all over!! :)

Also, as anyone knows, it's really easy to convince yourself that you fit all of the diagnostic criteria for a particular mental illness when your systems aren't severe enough to warrant a diagnosis. And then there are multiple symptoms which are exhibited in multiple syndromes/diseases. It's complicated stuff.

I agree!

But I think that's the key- if your symptoms aren't screwing up your life, there is little reason for a diagnosis or to be treated. For example, I am a big-ass flake, I've been diagnosed with ADD, but my symptoms aren't that severe. I can rally to accomplish things, I did well in school, I can focus if I need to, etc. It's just personality/temperament more than anything. My bipolar on the other hand... led to major life fuck-ups and close to suicide. It's something that needs to be taken seriously.

I'm glad your ADD doesn't cause you too many problems...especially since it's difficult to treat ADD and bipolar simultaneously! I treat my ADD/ADHD with an herbal supplement. I treat my OCD with cognitive behavioral therapy, affirmations, exercise and diet. It's a struggle! There were times I was seriously suicidal...it's something I hope I never experience again! I'm sorry you have experienced that. :( I wish no one would ever know what that feels like!