User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Sometimes they are unable to deal with things on a deeper level until their brain chemistry is righted.

It's good that we have medications that work. People who take them are not necessarily short-cutting anything. Also, sometimes there really isn't an issue to work out. Sometimes it's just brain chemistry that needs tweaking.

I think I'm supposed to be schizo-avoidant -- I think I read that's what goes with either 4w5 or INFJ, I can't remember which.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Sometimes they are unable to deal with things on a deeper level until their brain chemistry is righted.

It's good that we have medications that work. People who take them are not necessarily short-cutting anything. Also, sometimes there really isn't an issue to work out. Sometimes it's just brain chemistry that needs tweaking.
    Yes, I can agree with that. It is good that there are at least options that can be explored and people have access to them. But I guess I just have some deep aversion towards medication and I'd like to explore those other options before resorting to that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

At the risk of being tedious, the "chin up, shoulders back, deal with your stuff, work, you lazy bum" and then medication is "the last resort," sort of "if you're a miserable failure and just can't cope, then all right, here's a pill" is part of the prejudice. I'm jes sayin'.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    At the risk of being tedious, the "chin up, shoulders back, deal with your stuff, work, you lazy bum" and then medication is "the last resort," sort of "if you're a miserable failure and just can't cope, then all right, here's a pill" is part of the prejudice. I'm jes sayin'.
    Yeah, well, I never said I couldn't use some myself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I remember reading about something called "interns syndrome" when reading psychology textbooks on abnormality once, it described a process by which people begin to imagine they exhibit symptoms they dont really or exaggerate traits, quirks, behaviours or thoughts and feelings which are "best fit" for a particular "diagnosis".

Conversely rational and critical reflection by those who had experienced this kind of thing has contributed to some of the biggest break throughs in anti-psychiatry or skepticism about diagnostic categorisations.

I think that I've experienced highs and lows of affect occasionally but I generally can find clear links to physical or social stresses and stressors, I'm a very big believer in both psychodynamics and social systems when it comes to thoughts and behaviour, no man or woman is an island whatever they might believe.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I remember reading about something called "interns syndrome" when reading psychology textbooks on abnormality once, it described a process by which people begin to imagine they exhibit symptoms they dont really or exaggerate traits, quirks, behaviours or thoughts and feelings which are "best fit" for a particular "diagnosis".

Conversely rational and critical reflection by those who had experienced this kind of thing has contributed to some of the biggest break throughs in anti-psychiatry or skepticism about diagnostic categorisations.

I think that I've experienced highs and lows of affect occasionally but I generally can find clear links to physical or social stresses and stressors, I'm a very big believer in both psychodynamics and social systems when it comes to thoughts and behaviour, no man or woman is an island whatever they might believe.
    I think you raise a good point. Like I mentioned in the OP, I noticed that I exhibit a lot of the traits that go around in cyclothymia when I watched a documentary about it, but at the same time I realized that I only had those symptoms in such very small details. I literally know people who express the symptoms a lot stronger then I do.
    (removed)

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'd thought that this thread was a cool correspondence between personality and disorder, like an OK Cupid test would give

as in Hi!!! I'm Mania because I use lots of exclamation points and emoticons!!!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Clinical Depression, Seasonal Affective Disorder, Attention Defficit Hyperactive Disorder, Dyslexia - wish none of it was true, but I'm managing.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENF
    Enneagram
    6w5

I was Dx w/ ADD, ADHD, LD's, bipolar, OCD/anorexia...

bipolar was a misdiagnosis. It was made because I have ADD/ADHD combo. It happens often, my psych. told me.

I'm off all meds. I take an herb for ADD. I am changing my brain chemistry naturally. I had a huge wake up call that changed everything for me (I've been told that wake up calls can change your brain chemistry quickly by my therapist!) I also had several chronic illnesses and I'm off all meds for those as well (except for IBS. That still gets me) :p I'm def glad meds are out there...but I'm even happier I don't need them anymore! :-) I think different things work for different people and it's great that there are so many options out there!!

Great post! :-)