• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I really wish that Gardner's 8 forms of intelligence...

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
...correlated to the functions. But only a few do. That makes me sad. :(

1. Interpersonal intelligence (Fe)
This area has to do with interaction with others. In theory, people who have a high interpersonal intelligence tend to be extroverts, characterized by their sensitivity to others' moods, feelings, temperaments and motivations, and their ability to cooperate in order to work as part of a group. They communicate effectively and empathize easily with others, and may be either leaders or followers. They typically learn best by working with others and often enjoy discussion and debate.

2. Intrapersonal Intelligence (Fi)
This area has to do with introspective and self-reflective capacities. People with intrapersonal intelligence are intuitive and typically introverted. They are skillful at deciphering their own feelings and motivations. This refers to having a deep understanding of the self; what are your strengths/ weaknesses, what makes you unique, can you predict your own reactions/ emotions.

3. Linguistic Intelligence (Ni??)
Involves having a mastery of language. This intelligence includes the ability to effectively manipulate language to express oneself rhetorically or poetically. It also allows one to use language as a means to remember information.

4. Logical-mathematical intelligence (Ti) (and perhaps Te??)
This area has to do with logic, abstractions, reasoning, and numbers. While it is often assumed that those with this intelligence naturally excel in mathematics, chess, computer programming and other logical or numerical activities, a more accurate definition places emphasis on traditional mathematical ability and more reasoning capabilities, abstract patterns of recognition, scientific thinking and investigation, and the ability to perform complex calculations. It correlates strongly with traditional concepts of "intelligence" or IQ.

5. Bodily/Kinesthetic Intelligence (Se)
Ability in physical movement as seen in both athletes and dancers. Entails the potential of using one's whole body or parts of the body to solve problems. It is the ability to use mental abilities to coordinate bodily movements. Howard Gardner sees mental and physical activity as related.

6. Spatial Intelligence (Si)
The precise perception of things and the ability to recall visual patterns. Involves the potential to recognize and use the patterns of wide space and more confined areas.

And here's where it gets fishy:

7. Naturalist Intelligence (Ne???)
Displayed by those who are talented at observing, understanding and organizing patterns especially those found in nature. Enables human beings to recognize, categorize and draw upon certain features of the environment. It 'combines a description of the core ability with a characterization of the role that many cultures value'

8. Musical intelligence (Wtf??)
This area has to do with rhythm, music, and hearing. Those who have a high level of musical-rhythmic intelligence display greater sensitivity to sounds, rhythms, tones, and music. They normally have good pitch and may even have absolute pitch, and are able to sing, play musical instruments, and compose music. Since there is a strong auditory component to this intelligence, those who are strongest in it may learn best via lecture. Language skills are typically highly developed in those whose base intelligence is musical. In addition, they will sometimes use songs or rhythms to learn and memorize information.

My Ne really wants it to fit, but it doesn't. It seems to work well for Fe, Fi, Se, Si, and Ti, but things get weird with Ni, Ne, and Te. I guess Gardner just thinks the latter three are dumb. Poo on him. I believe this intelligence theory is highly criticized though.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I usually score Intrapersonal=Interpersonal>Spatial. I see a lot of people who's intellect preferences don't correlate though. =\ But the general idea, yeah I can see how it correlates. I don't see many I_T_s scoring too high in Interpersonal, etc.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I regard intelligence and functions to be two different issues, with little overlap between them. At best, the functions might indicate which types of intelligence a person my feel inclined to develop, or ignore...

I've heard critisism of the inclusion of naturalist intelligence in the list, as it is more of an interest rather than anything fundamental.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't necessarily think these intelligences are the result of strength in just one function. Rather a combination, except perhaps the first two, even then I think that could be refutable. You'll note some of those intelligences will often be associated together i.e. musical intellgence and linguistic intellgence, so I believe there would be a great deal of overlap between the functions and a particular skill set.
A better way of looking at it in terms of MBTI is what intelligences predominate (theoritcally at this point) amongst the groupings of NFP,NFJ, NTP,NTJ, SFP, SFJ,STP and STJ

NFP; intrapersonal, naturlistic, linguistic, musical
NFJ; interpersonal, linguistic, musical, ?spatial
NTP; Naturlistic, linguistic, logical-mathematical, musical
NTJ; logical-mathematical, ?spatial, naturlistic
SFP; musical, spatial, kinestic, intrapersonal, linguistic
SFJ; intrapersonal, kinestic, spatial, Linguistic
STJ; logical-mathetical, naturalisic, kinestic, spatial
STP;logical-mathetical, kinestic, spatial

My catergorisations are by no means well thought out, but hopefully demonstrates my point, that each intellingence is a combination of functions, and your application to MBTI works much better if you view it as such.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Wow, I completely forgot about this thread that I started. Anyway...

I don't necessarily think these intelligences are the result of strength in just one function. Rather a combination, except perhaps the first two, even then I think that could be refutable. You'll note some of those intelligences will often be associated together i.e. musical intellgence and linguistic intellgence, so I believe there would be a great deal of overlap between the functions and a particular skill set.

I agree. Just like there is overlap between functions and values, in general.

A better way of looking at it in terms of MBTI is what intelligences predominate (theoritcally at this point) amongst the groupings of NFP,NFJ, NTP,NTJ, SFP, SFJ,STP and STJ

Well, these 8 forms of intelligence are really nothing more than labels. I'm just pointing out the observation that Gardner's labeling system seems to align well with the functions.

Outside of just being labels, if these 8 forms of intelligence were neurochemically empirical, rather than just arbitrary categorizations, then hypothetically, if we can find correlations between what intelligences certain types share amongst each other, and then find correlations between what functions certain types share amongst each other, we can hypothesize that the functions and the intelligences go hand-in-hand. The MBTI labels have functional orderings behind them, so correlating intelligence to MBTI type is still a method of theorizing correlations between intelligence and Jungian functions.

According to your labels:

Intrapersonal is only had by the Fi-ers (FPs).
Kinestic and spatial is only had by the S's. (Thus your theory implies an association with Se and Si to kinesthetic intelligence).
Logical-mathematical is only had by the Ts. (Thus your theory implies an association with Te/Ti to logical-mathematical intelligence).

The rest of your labels seem rather arbitrary, and that's fine. My point is, that by assigning MBTI labels to certain forms of intelligences, you can implicitly be assigning functions with certain forms of intelligence.

Honestly, I just thought it was rather cool that there are 8 forms of intelligence according to Gardner as well as 8 Jungian functions. It's kind of a coincidence, but there is a certain area of notable overlap.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I regard intelligence and functions to be two different issues, with little overlap between them. At best, the functions might indicate which types of intelligence a person my feel inclined to develop, or ignore...

I agree that intelligence and functions, in general, are not rigidly linked. However, "little overlap" is a bit of an understatement. There are notable trends between what kinds of intelligences and interests certain types develop. That doesn't mean that only one type/function can result in a particular skill, but again, the trends do exist.

I've heard critisism of the inclusion of naturalist intelligence in the list, as it is more of an interest rather than anything fundamental.

I've heard this same criticism, and I've also seen a 9th form added to the list, called "Existential" intelligence (and it's basically the verbatim summary for Ni).

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Intrapersonal is only had by the Fi-ers (FPs).
Kinestic and spatial is only had by the S's. (Thus your theory implies an association with Se and Si to kinesthetic intelligence).
Logical-mathematical is only had by the Ts. (Thus your theory implies an association with Te/Ti to logical-mathematical intelligence).

The rest of your labels seem rather arbitrary, and that's fine. My point is, that by assigning MBTI labels to certain forms of intelligences, you can implicitly be assigning functions with certain forms of intelligence.

Honestly, I just thought it was rather cool that there are 8 forms of intelligence according to Gardner as well as 8 Jungian functions. It's kind of a coincidence, but there is a certain area of notable overlap.
I never said it was well thought out, LOL.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx

I can't speak for other NFPs, but those [intrapersonal, naturalistic, linguistic/verbal, and musical] are the ones I usually score the highest on.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
great... I tend to get kinesthetic, interpersonal, naturalist :dry:

my ISFJ mom tends to score naturalist, musical, interpersonal... which would really mess things up! :laugh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
probably... I can look... I took it years ago when my mom was taking an Educational Psych class and the results are still applicable :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

My Ne really wants it to fit, but it doesn't. It seems to work well for Fe, Fi, Se, Si, and Ti, but things get weird with Ni, Ne, and Te. I guess Gardner just thinks the latter three are dumb. Poo on him. I believe this intelligence theory is highly criticized though.

If Te is 4, and Ti is 8, it would all fit rather nicely. Nice find. Do you have a link? Lots of Ti-ers (dom/aux) I know are musical/have a good or natural ear for it. Te is more "logical" thinking imo (i.e. #4)

I love finding things that corroborate already existing, good theories, like Jung's. :)

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
I would connect Si to naturalist and Ne to spatial.

This thread makes me aware I might rather have linguistic intelligence than intrapersonal (though I may also have that).

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
^Yeah, I agree.

I can't speak for other NFPs, but those [intrapersonal, naturalistic, linguistic/verbal, and musical] are the ones I usually score the highest on.

Replace naturalistic for spatial.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

That's not your 'ne' that's you're si.
And that 'forms of intelligence' thing just came up with random things to call half wits intelligent.
Liking trees isn't a specific form of intelligence, it's just liking trees because the big city gives your head aw aws inside and people are scary or whatever other reason.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Interpersonal- Fe
Intrapersonal- Fi
Verbal/Linguistic- Si
Existential (Forgot that one ;))- Ni
Visual/Spatial- Se
Bodily/Kinesthetic- Se
Logical/Mathematical- Ti
Naturalist- Te (Aclaratory note: "Naturalist" intelligence, based on its description, should really be called categorizational intelligence, and include no nature questions. The author of this system is apparently just some green liberal faggot, and wanted to include nature somewhere in his system. I usually proudly declare my naturalist score to be dead last, but if it were designed properly, I'd likely score higher).
Musical- Se

My intelligences, from strongest to weakest:

Logical/Mathematical
Existential
Visual/Spatial
Naturalist/Categorizational
Verbal/Linguistic
Intrapersonal
Interpersonal
Musical
Bodily/Kinesthetic

Chloe

my highest one, very high and very much above all else is mathematical-logical... and my Ti is one of my lowest functions ( Se,Ti,Fe), and my Te is also noooooooot that great.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
personality type: isfp
in order of intelligences

Naturalist 100%

Musical 100%

Verbal/Linguistic 85%

Bodily/Kinesthetic 80%

Visual/Spatial 80%