User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 50

  1. #21
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeafAndSky View Post
    Rewarded with money for doing something that's harmful to the environment?

    Rewarded with a promotion for activities that harmed your co-workers and seriously damaged company morale, making people not want to do a good job at the company?

    I guess, rewarded for short-term profits over longer-term stability.
    From the perspective of someone who cares for themselves only. Some of these things wouldn't really as a stupid thing. In fact maximization of their own profit sounds like an intelligent thing to do.

    I can't really see a company promoting things that damage morale, as that wouldn't make much sense financial wise.

  2. #22
    Ruler of the Stars Asterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeafAndSky View Post
    Rewarded with money for doing something that's harmful to the environment?

    Rewarded with a promotion for activities that harmed your co-workers and seriously damaged company morale, making people not want to do a good job at the company?

    I guess, rewarded for short-term profits over longer-term stability.
    That was my point exactly
    In the long run, people get punished for doing dumb things, perhaps it doesn't always work out right (like, you get struck by lightning or something random). But eventually, we learn through repetition... unless we're not given another chance. Then you're just left with regret.
    5 3 9

  3. #23
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    That was my point exactly
    In the long run, people get punished for doing dumb things, perhaps it doesn't always work out right (like, you get struck by lightning or something random). But eventually, we learn through repetition... unless we're not given another chance. Then you're just left with regret.
    Well, in case of environmental damage, the long run is long enough for the person not getting punished personally.

    EDIT: I must add, though, that basically I agree with the thought. The jerk who elbows past you in the line is most likely going to be a lot less happier than you are. And that is just logical, as the assholes tend to gather assholes around them...

  4. #24
    Ruler of the Stars Asterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Well, in case of environmental damage, the long run is long enough for the person not getting punished personally.
    yarrr, thar's the one. The environment is a shared responsibility, eventually if we're given a second chance, we'll learn as a whole not to destroy it. It seems that the long term can be too far away in some cases. In most cases people will learn at least... although that's now a pretty big generalization.
    5 3 9

  5. #25
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeafAndSky View Post
    No, not a single one of those things! The person has a balanced view of their past (which has included intimate relationships), is glad to have a good career, and enjoys hobbies. Not bitter. I think I'm going to put their comment down to:

    a frustrated intellectual who's venting.
    lol... I can understand the venting thing... idiotic people often make me wander off grumbling "why is everyone such a f*&^ing idiot?" :steam:

    this usually involves idiocies like couples fighting about really dumb stuff and ruining everyone else's evenings, or the city bus routes and schedule
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #26
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    It seems that the long term can be too far away in some cases. In most cases people will learn at least... although that's now a pretty big generalization.
    There are other things, not so long term, but anyways. Say, most of the people know (intuitively) that they should do what they like to do, and still they rather choose a well-paid profession than an uncertain one. They will be stuck with this choice, maybe for the rest of their lives... and they will be so angry at themselves they ruin other people's lives as well...

  7. #27
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    There are other things, not so long term, but anyways. Say, most of the people know (intuitively) that they should do what they like to do, and still they rather choose a well-paid profession than an uncertain one. They will be stuck with this choice, maybe for the rest of their lives... and they will be so angry at themselves they ruin other people's lives as well...
    Isn't that less to do with intelligence but more to do with fear?
    It usually trumps rational behaviour.

  8. #28
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    lol... I can understand the venting thing... idiotic people often make me wander off grumbling "why is everyone such a f*&^ing idiot?" :steam:

    this usually involves idiocies like couples fighting about really dumb stuff and ruining everyone else's evenings, or the city bus routes and schedule
    I'm a big grumbler when it comes to drug abuse. Or at least, I was. There was a time when I felt pretty isolated because of it.

  9. #29
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Isn't that less to do with intelligence but more to do with fear?
    It usually trumps rational behaviour.
    Well, yes. But I am talking about what the "frustrated intellectual" sees as stupidity. He has his own fears, of course, which lead to irrational behavior (for example, avoiding people), but he has constructed rationalizations around his fears so that he sees himself as congruent, while he sees other people stupid.

    The question in this thread is not so much about stupidity itself. It is about what is seen as stupidity, or the people who see themselves surrounded by stupidity.

    EDIT: By the way, most fears are totally useless these days. Someone might say "stupid"... Heh...

    It is funny, though, that both the intuitive knowledge of what is best for you and the fear are instinctual responses. It is like the organism is fighting itself on a basic level. Usually it is more about the rational against the instinctual... Hmm... Weird, I never thought it this way... How stupid of me..

    *needs to meditate on this*

  10. #30
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Frustrated intellectuals rationalize their social incapability with that line.
    That is true, which of course doesn't mean that it's a completely baseless assumption. People with impressive cognitive abilities are more likely to become "frustrated intellectuals with social incapability". This line of thinking is their consolation price, but it's a fact that such deviancies are not always easy to bear with. It's pretty hard for a person with 100 IQ to engage in meaningful conversations with feeble-minded people, so why would it be easy for a person with 140 IQ to do the same with the average population?

Similar Threads

  1. People don't understand my sense of humor because they are stupid
    By hacbad macbar in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 12-20-2014, 04:59 PM
  2. Most people are 'vertically ill'
    By xNFJiminy in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 08:18 AM
  3. Only guys are stupid enough to do this...
    By sdalek in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 09:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO