• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"People are stupid"?

Snow Turtle

Rewarded with money for doing something that's harmful to the environment?

Rewarded with a promotion for activities that harmed your co-workers and seriously damaged company morale, making people not want to do a good job at the company?

I guess, rewarded for short-term profits over longer-term stability.

From the perspective of someone who cares for themselves only. Some of these things wouldn't really as a stupid thing. In fact maximization of their own profit sounds like an intelligent thing to do.

I can't really see a company promoting things that damage morale, as that wouldn't make much sense financial wise.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rewarded with money for doing something that's harmful to the environment?

Rewarded with a promotion for activities that harmed your co-workers and seriously damaged company morale, making people not want to do a good job at the company?

I guess, rewarded for short-term profits over longer-term stability.

That was my point exactly :yes:
In the long run, people get punished for doing dumb things, perhaps it doesn't always work out right (like, you get struck by lightning or something random). But eventually, we learn through repetition... unless we're not given another chance. Then you're just left with regret.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
That was my point exactly :yes:
In the long run, people get punished for doing dumb things, perhaps it doesn't always work out right (like, you get struck by lightning or something random). But eventually, we learn through repetition... unless we're not given another chance. Then you're just left with regret.

Well, in case of environmental damage, the long run is long enough for the person not getting punished personally.

EDIT: I must add, though, that basically I agree with the thought. The jerk who elbows past you in the line is most likely going to be a lot less happier than you are. And that is just logical, as the assholes tend to gather assholes around them...

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, in case of environmental damage, the long run is long enough for the person not getting punished personally.

yarrr, thar's the one. The environment is a shared responsibility, eventually if we're given a second chance, we'll learn as a whole not to destroy it. It seems that the long term can be too far away in some cases. In most cases people will learn at least... although that's now a pretty big generalization.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:) No, not a single one of those things! The person has a balanced view of their past (which has included intimate relationships), is glad to have a good career, and enjoys hobbies. Not bitter. I think I'm going to put their comment down to:

a frustrated intellectual who's venting.

lol... I can understand the venting thing... idiotic people often make me wander off grumbling "why is everyone such a f*&^ing idiot?" :steam:

this usually involves idiocies like couples fighting about really dumb stuff and ruining everyone else's evenings, or the city bus routes and schedule :thelook:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
It seems that the long term can be too far away in some cases. In most cases people will learn at least... although that's now a pretty big generalization.

There are other things, not so long term, but anyways. Say, most of the people know (intuitively) that they should do what they like to do, and still they rather choose a well-paid profession than an uncertain one. They will be stuck with this choice, maybe for the rest of their lives... and they will be so angry at themselves they ruin other people's lives as well...

Snow Turtle

There are other things, not so long term, but anyways. Say, most of the people know (intuitively) that they should do what they like to do, and still they rather choose a well-paid profession than an uncertain one. They will be stuck with this choice, maybe for the rest of their lives... and they will be so angry at themselves they ruin other people's lives as well...

Isn't that less to do with intelligence but more to do with fear?
It usually trumps rational behaviour.

KDude

lol... I can understand the venting thing... idiotic people often make me wander off grumbling "why is everyone such a f*&^ing idiot?" :steam:

this usually involves idiocies like couples fighting about really dumb stuff and ruining everyone else's evenings, or the city bus routes and schedule :thelook:

I'm a big grumbler when it comes to drug abuse. Or at least, I was. There was a time when I felt pretty isolated because of it.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Isn't that less to do with intelligence but more to do with fear?
It usually trumps rational behaviour.

Well, yes. But I am talking about what the "frustrated intellectual" sees as stupidity. He has his own fears, of course, which lead to irrational behavior (for example, avoiding people), but he has constructed rationalizations around his fears so that he sees himself as congruent, while he sees other people stupid.

The question in this thread is not so much about stupidity itself. It is about what is seen as stupidity, or the people who see themselves surrounded by stupidity.

EDIT: By the way, most fears are totally useless these days. Someone might say "stupid"... Heh... :yes:

It is funny, though, that both the intuitive knowledge of what is best for you and the fear are instinctual responses. It is like the organism is fighting itself on a basic level. Usually it is more about the rational against the instinctual... Hmm... Weird, I never thought it this way... How stupid of me.. :D

*needs to meditate on this*

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Frustrated intellectuals rationalize their social incapability with that line.

That is true, which of course doesn't mean that it's a completely baseless assumption. People with impressive cognitive abilities are more likely to become "frustrated intellectuals with social incapability". This line of thinking is their consolation price, but it's a fact that such deviancies are not always easy to bear with. It's pretty hard for a person with 100 IQ to engage in meaningful conversations with feeble-minded people, so why would it be easy for a person with 140 IQ to do the same with the average population?

KDude

Tap into your inner Peter Venkman and/or Real Genius. Or hell, Einstein. :cheese:

I'm well aware that two of those are fictional characters, but..damnit, they're awesome. IQ shouldn't be some barrier to communication.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
That is true, which of course doesn't mean that it's a completely baseless assumption. People with impressive cognitive abilities are more likely to become "frustrated intellectuals with social incapability". This line of thinking is their consolation price, but it's a fact that such deviancies are not always easy to bear with. It's pretty hard for a person with 100 IQ to engage in meaningful conversations with feeble-minded people, so why would it be easy for a person with 140 IQ to do the same with the average population?

Good question...

Damn, this is weird. I would have never thought that a thread titled "People are stupid" would give me so much to think about. :jew:

KDude

Btw, if someone is below avg IQ/feeble minded, then they're more than likely sick or mentally deficient. And probably get the shit end of the stick as it is, socially speaking. I would try to communicate with them the best I can, out of sympathy. So I don't think it's a fair comparison. But if by feebleminded, you mean a crackhead, then yeah, I'd just diss them.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the worst are arrogant idiots who mess things up on a grand scale (yes, I'm still fixated on the bus routes!) :steam:

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
Hmm... Weird, I never thought it this way... How stupid of me.. :D

There's a heck of a lot to meditate on in this thread. (We could flood this site with spin-off threads.) ;)

For example,

"assholes tend to gather assholes around them..."

-- this being a major reason that some companies fail? Or does that make them successful?

"It's pretty hard for a person with 100 IQ to engage in meaningful conversations with feeble-minded people, so why would it be easy for a person with 140 IQ to do the same with the average population? "

-- It's a relief to be understood. Yet, listening to them with patience, the feeble-minded come up with the most brilliant insights because of the way they reduce things. Simplicity, directness.

"I would refuse to be dominated too, but it's personal. I'm not trying to stick up for everyone when I don't rever authority. I'm telling people they need to earn my respect or give me some reasons for it first."

-- What reasons do different types of people have for refusing to be dominated? What makes them put their foot down?

"I'm a big grumbler when it comes to drug abuse. Or at least, I was. There was a time when I felt pretty isolated because of it."

-- What effect does the quality of tolerance have on . . . quality of life?

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Btw, if someone is below avg IQ/feeble minded, then they're more than likely sick or mentally deficient. And probably get the shit end of the stick as it is, socially speaking. I would try to communicate with them the best I can, out of sympathy. So I don't think it's a fair comparison. But if by feebleminded, you mean a crackhead, then yeah, I'd just diss them.

And what about mentally "overefficient" people? Why don't they get the shit end of the stick, socially speaking? They'd try to communicate with you the best they can, out of a sheer feeling of longing, because people like you make up 95% of society. But both of you feel that there's something wrong with the "channel", so you'll just try to avoid him/her because you're uncomfortable with it, not knowing what happens and why.

(I don't know you, so please don't take it personally, this is just an example.)

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP

Personally I think it's apathy, not stupidity, that is the problem. Although the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Snow Turtle

Well, yes. But I am talking about what the "frustrated intellectual" sees as stupidity. He has his own fears, of course, which lead to irrational behavior (for example, avoiding people), but he has constructed rationalizations around his fears so that he sees himself as congruent, while he sees other people stupid.

The question in this thread is not so much about stupidity itself. It is about what is seen as stupidity, or the people who see themselves surrounded by stupidity.

EDIT: By the way, most fears are totally useless these days. Someone might say "stupid"... Heh... :yes:

It is funny, though, that both the intuitive knowledge of what is best for you and the fear are instinctual responses. It is like the organism is fighting itself on a basic level. Usually it is more about the rational against the instinctual... Hmm... Weird, I never thought it this way... How stupid of me.. :D

Makes sense.
It's always seems a little odd how some people forget that there's usually some rational reason behind the decisions of others, not matter how irrational it may seem to them. Guess this is where empathy kicks in.

Fits in well with the attribution idea that we tend to judge on limited information. Does explain the tendancy to believe individuals in a massive group are less intelligent than they really are when you talk to them on an extreme personal level.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Fits in well with the attribution idea that we tend to judge on limited information. Does explain the tendancy to believe individuals in a massive group are less intelligent than they really are when you talk to them on an extreme personal level.

Also, a group of people gathers around a set of ideas or a shared attitude or something like that. The core of the group, whatever it might be, is always more simple than any human can be, since it is only an idea. Still, we often see the member of the group as a stereotype embodying the idea of the group.

KDude

-- What effect does the quality of tolerance have on . . . quality of life?

What people do with drugs doesn't affect quality of life a great deal unless you're surrounded with it. Which I was. It's not really important why I was in that position, but it affects quality of life when you're on a different wavelength than them as a sober person. There's not a whole lot of communication there. In addition to that, it sucks for practical reasons.. people who do drugs can be unreliable. Some not even worth trusting. And if you keep getting met with unreliabilty, it's easy to get shortsighted about it at times, and start saying that "people suck". Even if I don't really believe that on a whole.