User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Extreme empaths

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Oh, so...

That'd make you more ENTP than ENTJ, wouldn't it?

Well, nice to finally meet you.

Nay.

Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someones ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone elses thought process. In written or verbal communication, extraverted Thinking helps us easily follow someone elses logic, sequence, or organization.
    Extraverted Thinking

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I was joking.

I like to take a few chump shots at NeTi sometimes to make living feel more right.

EDIT: I would actually post something of substance, but I feel my experiences with empathy would fall within the lines of many of the other posters here. I can't see certain things because they depress me, make me physically ill, distress me, cause insomnia, bother me hours, sometimes days after, etc. Something perfectly normal that wouldn't typically cause tears, well, I've got them. I don't know what else to say but that my reaction to these things can be embarrassing, particularly in a public setting, because of how inappropriate the reaction may be at the time or because it may vary from what is the norm for some. Not much can be done about it.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    I was joking.

I like to take a few chump shots at NeTi sometimes to make living feel more right.

Ah. I don't pick up on sarcasm over the internet very well.

Smilies either. Sort of how in the east people see smiling at strangers as weird, I often see the choice of smilies people tack onto their sentences as weird. (Not in your case, however.)

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Alright, so far the only person that seems to be close to an extreme empath so far here is Tiltyred, an INFJ. (I feel like your post was great btw, Tiltyred. But you probably know that. *wink wink*)

I personally think empathy might be more Fe related than Fi. But I have a feeling this kind of intense empathy might be an INFx "Highly Sensitive Person" type thing. Rather than an Fi vs. Fe thing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    ... being empathetic is a social trophy. Look at how most people are saying they're empathetic...via going to movies. I feel like people who are put in real situations the have a need for sustained empathy, sympathy, and compassion, i.e. nurses, social workers, teachers, mental health care professionals live horrific situations day in and day out. It's not a movie they can just get up and leave after a few hours of entertainment and have their empathy pack recharged until the next Saw comes out.

I find equating "empathy" with sitting in a movie theater and getting creeped out by simulated gore offensive. It was meant to creep you out, the whole reason and staging of the scenes were done for that purpose, so the empathizing is contrived really, like reading a Hallmark card or cooing at the sight of puppies. To me it totally trivializes people who have to draw on empathy in situations that matter and the coping mechanisms and strategies they must use to keep from being completely burned out.

According to the article, extreme empathy is a neurological disorder. Are people claiming this or something else?
    People who actually have to be in those situations cannot be but so empathic, or they could not get their work done. It helps that they cannot feel every little twitch of their patients. I am useless in those situations because I faint when I see blood, for example. And most people find my reactions to movies and real life situations over sensitive and abnormal. So yes, I'd say extreme empathy is a neurological disorder.

I can't help feeling a bit set up when someone asks a question and I offer anecdotal or personal experience for what it's worth, and it's turned around as if to say I'm bragging, or that experience I offer is trivialized all to hell.

Whenever I watch any movie which involves the characters emotionally suffering or are about to be really embarrassed I actually have to stop watching the scene; I become stressed out and my heart rate increases and I want the scene to just be over.

Also in everyday life anytime anyone around me is upset or angry, I become nauseas, my stomach has a "sinking" feeling, my heart rate increases I become and really jittery. Whenever I walk pass someone and I just feel a vibe that something is bothering them I become really anxious as well

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Ugh I've got that problem. I can't bear to watch anyone be tortured on television. It makes me sick, quite literally.

Incidentally I was having conversation with my online friend who was told (by her therapist) that empathy is feeling compassion for someone and sympathy is being able to understand/relate to them. She and I were both under the impression it was the opposite, but then she quoted something from Twilight (which I automatically discredit because I have an [semi]irrational dislike of that series) that goes along with her therapist...but I still think she's wrong. And the phrase "Empath" seems to prove it.

Thoughts?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

^same, i don't watch the news for that reason. And last week, I watched a movie, against my better judgement, about women being sexually harassed when working in a mine. Had a rape scene in it. I didn't sleep that night. Couldn't get the image out of mmy head.

Usually, when it's a movie, I know that it isn't real and it doesn't affect me so. This movie was based on a true story though...should've known better.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I personally think empathy might be more Fe related than Fi. But I have a feeling this kind of intense empathy might be an INFx "Highly Sensitive Person" type thing. Rather than an Fi vs. Fe thing.
    I don't think it's purely a Fe/Fi thing. Empathizing with emotional states does seem to be characteristic of NFs, but I have always been strongly empathic as far as physical states go, eg. pain and trauma, which is what the article seems to be about. The link with mirror neurons is interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.