User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Extreme empaths

Dali

You are. I meant 'primarily Fi' with regards to F-use rather than the 4-main functions.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

^You just mean "responses" no matter what they are?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Hmm.

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Are you afraid of stating your point?

If you are not, why rely upon winks to get it across?
    My evidence, if you can call it that, is merely anecdotal. Using a specific example, the majority of people I know who refuse to watch horror movies or are most affected by them are Fi users.

It was a throwaway comment.

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    ^You just mean "responses" no matter what they are?
    I wrote 'respondents'.

Ah, looking back, I just skimmed the thread ticking off types.

See, this is why I barely scraped through my statistics module...

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Hmm.
    Haw.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    My evidence, if you can call it that, is merely anecdotal. Using a specific example, the majority of people I know who refuse to watch horror movies or are most affected by them are Fi users.

Oh, okay. I just like to debate, please don't take it personally.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Why?
    Because many profiles say that empathy is mostly an Fi thing. The official doctrine decrees that in order to be genuinely empathetic you must be an Fi type, to be genuinely intelligent, you must be a Ti type, to be conscientious an SJ, and so forth. In other words, hail Keirsey! No, seriously, Please Understand Me Vol. I and II is the source of much of this putridity.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    Well, the majority of people I know who refuse to watch horror movies are Fe users. Saying stuff like that I can just turn around and refute it with my own experience and then what?

I understand, but people make comments like this and then it becomes a dominant perception which is perpetuated and incorrect.

And like Victor stated in his post, being empathetic is a social trophy. Look at how most people are saying they're empathetic...via going to movies. I feel like people who are put in real situations the have a need for sustained empathy, sympathy, and compassion, i.e. nurses, social workers, teachers, mental health care professionals live horrific situations day in and day out. It's not a movie they can just get up and leave after a few hours of entertainment and have their empathy pack recharged until the next Saw comes out.

I find equating "empathy" with sitting in a movie theater and getting creeped out by simulated gore offensive. It was meant to creep you out, the whole reason and staging of the scenes were done for that purpose, so the empathizing is contrived really, like reading a Hallmark card or cooing at the sight of puppies. To me it totally trivializes people who have to draw on empathy in situations that matter and the coping mechanisms and strategies they must use to keep from being completely burned out.

According to the article, extreme empathy is a neurological disorder. Are people claiming this or something else?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Oh, okay. I just like to debate
    Oh, so...

That'd make you more ENTP than ENTJ, wouldn't it?

Well, nice to finally meet you.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I'm not so sure about correlation with type either. Some people just are more susceptible to such things.

I do experience it but I don't think it's anything extreme. It happens with fiction, listening to music, moreso with documentaries, real-life stories... personal encounters, things like that. Emotional and physical pain. But it doesn't happen all the time. It definitely depends greatly on my involvement, whether I enter the kind of state of mind where it affects me to such a degree.

I do get a strong physical reaction, it's like a sudden intense sensation alike getting goosebumps, knots in the stomach and pressure in my ears and temples. It's just a general uneasy feeling of helplessness because there's nothing I can do about it but observe.

I can watch horror movies and whatever, I don't consciously avoid feeling so empathetic and I don't go out of my way to seek it out either but it does have quite a strong impact on me. I don't consider it as something negative, rather it's a way to learn from other people's experiences.
    This.

I don't have a strong reaction to most horror movies (maybe because they are so exaggerated and unbelievable?), but I do get very strong feelings of sadness when watching movies where the characters are suffering, in a bad situation, or being hurt emotionally, or real-life encounters where there is much negativity. Also, if someone is embarrassed or saddened, I will often feel that way too. I'm not a huge moviegoer, but the last movie I remember having such a strong reaction to was Seven Pounds. All of this isn't something I would wave from a banner or pat myself on the back for; I deal with it and learn from it, but I used to believe it was more trouble than anything else.

I think empathy transcends type, for the most part.